Bens FTO GPX

A place for members to show off their pride & joys.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

benrad666
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Bens FTO GPX

Post by benrad666 »

Well just brought my first FTO :D $3000 off eBay black with some hail damage :( very happy as I have wanted one a long time now. Goes in for roady next week :roll: can't wait to be Rollin the streets in one of these! Im new here n this my first post, so bare with me I'm noob :? Can't upload pics cause I'm on iPad?? so I'll have 2 do it later.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by benrad666 on Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
kiz
SA Coordinator

Re: Bens FTO GPX

Post by kiz »

WTTC

Post some pics soon for us to see ;)
There are two types of people on forums; those that give helpful advice, and the others

1998 Mitsubishi FTO GPVR AERO ;)
benrad666
Apprentice

Post by benrad666 »

got some pics up :) all seems good,drives good pleanty of power :P few things i have noticed though
- the revs tacho does not move
the exhaust waring light is on and the abs light :?
and when in drive and slowing down it wont select second, just goes from third to first. anyone know why?? second is fine when using sports mode.
now just hoping the roady goes good n ill be one happy fto driver!! will be needing some mags :oops:
might need a paint job sooner or later to as there is clear pealing on the roof,doors r faded, and some hail damage :(
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Apart from the obvious.

It's not bad for 3K.

Having said that, with that amount of hail damage, won't you have insurance issues?
Let alone rego

Good luck.

3rd to 1st is normal, that's the tip computer doing that.
Will need to fix that warning light meanwhile, and tacho for rego.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Welcome to the club :)
BUZZ_QWERTY
Grease Monkey

Post by BUZZ_QWERTY »

benrad666 wrote:when in drive and slowing down it wont select second, just goes from third to first. anyone know why??:(
Wttc! Don't worry, it's completely normal... Fto's do a few weird things like that, your gonna notice that if you go down a hill with your foot off the accelerator its gonna change into second to try and slow things down. :)
kiz
SA Coordinator

Post by kiz »

BUZZ_QWERTY wrote:
benrad666 wrote:when in drive and slowing down it wont select second, just goes from third to first. anyone know why??:(
Wttc! Don't worry, it's completely normal... Fto's do a few weird things like that, your gonna notice that if you go down a hill with your foot off the accelerator its gonna change into second to try and slow things down. :)
That's why real men drive manuals :P
There are two types of people on forums; those that give helpful advice, and the others

Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

kiz wrote:
BUZZ_QWERTY wrote:
And then bitch about it very time they drive in peak hour traffic. :roll:
LED ALL the things.
kiz
SA Coordinator

Post by kiz »

Supplanter wrote:
kiz wrote:
BUZZ_QWERTY wrote:
And then bitch about it very time they drive in peak hour traffic. :roll:
Touche ;)

BUZZ_QWERTY
Grease Monkey

Post by BUZZ_QWERTY »

kiz wrote:
BUZZ_QWERTY wrote:
:thebird:
benrad666
Apprentice

Post by benrad666 »

Got the roady,, not to bad I must say :o here's a list-
Polish front lights (give this a try tomorrow)
Whiper blades
Centre brake light (was just globes)
O2 sensor to be connected under car (plug was missing I just cut n rejoined the wires)
Front abs line cut driver side,,strange why would someone cut this?? ( joined bac up)
Front bumper,, piece under number plate is missing!!
Anyone have a VS front bottom lip for sale Melbourne western suburbs??
D/s drive shaft boot, is this hard to be done?
Front and rear brake pads
Front and rear engine mount :|
P/s steering rack boot,,is this hard?

So not to bad!! Will maybe just get a mechanic to do the rubber boots and the engine mounts.
Can't wait to be on the road :o

O and a another question if I reset the computer (disconnect battery for 15 mins?) and then drive with sports shift for a week,, will the computer learn my driving style?? Or does it only learn when in drive, not sports mode?

And thanks for the help, glad to have a FTO and be aprt of the club :D
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Engine mounts arent that hard and it seems you have some confidence in doing some mechanical work - theres a good DIY guide here and Ben/Dwayne can source some cheap mounts for you im pretty sure.
Every mechanic will charge you a little bit extra for boots as they are the least favourite job to do on a car for most.
Wiper blades are like 10 bucks, globes will be what 5 bucks. Brakes (brand and level dependant) wont be TOO much all in all not bad, does it have any roof rust? Thats the most common expensive problem it seems.
Cant tell you 100% about the tip but id assume it would learn everything you do.
Im sure it wont be much to fiberglass up the bumper? depending on the damage might be cheaper than buying a new one.
WTTC too btw
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
AJ
Oldtimer

Post by AJ »

benrad666 wrote: D/s drive shaft boot, is this hard to be done?
I had both replaced by a mechanic and he only charged $90 to supply and fit both sides so it can't be that hard.
benrad666 wrote:O and a another question if I reset the computer (disconnect battery for 15 mins?) and then drive with sports shift for a week,, will the computer learn my driving style?? Or does it only learn when in drive, not sports mode?
Only in D. You have full control in sport shift mode.
iPilot
Grease Monkey

Post by iPilot »

When u guys talk about the sports mode do u mean driving in the tip or is there a physical button or something that engages this sports mode?
From what i can see my gpx doesnt have any sports button of any sort.
Its either an FTO or nothing!
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

I believe it's just in Tip
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
AJ
Oldtimer

Post by AJ »

Technikhaus wrote:I believe it's just in Tip
^ this
benrad666
Apprentice

Post by benrad666 »

Can't find any engine mounts in stock :? And can't be ordered today because it needs to come from Mitsubishi :x

Is there any other models mitsu that have same engine mounts?? Maybe can be ordered today! And maybe will even be cheaper ;) ??
benrad666
Apprentice

Post by benrad666 »

Taz wrote:does it have any roof rust? Thats the most common expensive problem it seems.
Yes it does have some rust in the roof but it seems only minor :? It's like bubbles in under the paint the paint has not chipped away.Was told it's easy to fix?? Hope it's not 2 costly :roll:

And thanks for the info guys!! :o
Sahin
HULK

Bens FTO GPX

Post by Sahin »

benrad666 wrote:
Taz wrote:does it have any roof rust? Thats the most common expensive problem it seems.
Yes it does have some rust in the roof but it seems only minor :? It's like bubbles in under the paint the paint has not chipped away.Was told it's easy to fix?? Hope it's not 2 costly :roll:

And thanks for the info guys!! :o
$1000
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

benrad666 wrote:Can't find any engine mounts in stock :? And can't be ordered today because it needs to come from Mitsubishi :x

Is there any other models mitsu that have same engine mounts?? Maybe can be ordered today! And maybe will even be cheaper ;) ??
The below parts are the inserts needed, take these to a mechanic and tell him you want these inserts in your engine mount brackets.

He'll remove the cross member, punch out the old dead rubbers and put in the new ones you gave him and reinstall the cross member.

job done.