6A12 into Old Mazda?

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Bennoz
National President
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: 6A12 into Old Mazda?

Post by Bennoz »

BUZZ_QWERTY wrote:
Eltnot wrote:There are much better candidates for sleepers than what you are intending.
This was one of the best I've ever seen: Pigma
LOL PIGMA FTW, :twisted:
F*cking love it. I had one, but it was the series 1, Chrysler Sigma (had the chrome bumpers) and the old man & I managed to shoe horn a 327 Chev into it. Used to stand up on one wheel 8)
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

I love Sigmas with V8s.
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

AJ wrote:If you're serious about turboing a Mivec, you can take a look at mine for ideas/tips if you like.
Im serious about making it fly which would mean turbo. However apparently its harder to turbo with mivec. Im not sure if thats due to spacial restrictions or because its more difficult to hook up (Yes, I really do know sh*t all, someone care to confirm?) If it is due to spacial constrictions Im guessing it will be even harder to do it in a little Mazda's engine bay, which I believe all 323's are 4 Cylinder 1.3 to 1.8L. THe BPT and BPD are both turbo however thats on a smaller engine.

I think before turboing it I need to work out space restrictions. But yeah, AJ thanks, that would help a lot! At the bonfire if youre going in the FTO if you still have it by then? :mrgreen:
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Its nothing to do with space mate, just mivec really doesnt like forced induction and if done wrong you would see pistons coming out your cannon and sh*t :lol: (not really) but yea you jsut have to do it right, and im not exactly sure how i only briefly read it once but you have to make the boost come on differently than normal or something - its to do with timing
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

:cheers: Learning things!
I fix cars.
fraz91
Hair-do

Post by fraz91 »

Being serious about making it fly doesn't necessarily mean turbo. You can make an N/A motor fly, just have to plan out the mods and tune it right ;) N/A motors also have the advantage of no lag between putting your foot down and having the power.

I'm currently doing the same thing you are with lawso's old NX Coupe, albeit without the engine swap. Plans for that are to fix up the gearbox, put a button/organic clutch plate in, and then look at putting a low-pressure turbo on it (5-8psi). Basically, give maximum torque and power with minimal modification to the engine. Before the turbo, going to upgrade the shocks, swaybars, swap as many bushes from rubber to polyurethane as possible, install H-bracing, strut-tower braces front and rear, and then some simple alloys with good rubber on them. It'll cost me a bit, but by the end I'll have a simple and stock-looking NX coupe that will handle as well (if not better) than an FTO 8)
I'll have an FTO one day... i swear!

until then:
1. 2001 Merc-Benz A160 (porta-loo on wheels)
2. 2007 Peugeot 307 TDi (more fun than you'd expect)
3. [url=ttp://ftoaustralia.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=25373]2009 Mitsubishi Triton Di-D (a monster in its own right)[/url]
4. 1992 Nissan NX Coupe (club car and project car)
5. 1996 Holden SB Barina - "The Nugget"
6. 1996 Jeep XJ Cherokee Sport - The Budget Build
7. 2010 Toyota Landcruiser 76 Series - V8 Goodness... - Build coming soon.
8. 1990 Audi 90 manual - The delightfully dignified daily driver
Astron_Boy wrote:No correction needed Gen Y, you are correct.
Bennoz wrote:My rubbing happens on the inside.
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Thats very true. I have a lot to plan, albeit a lot to learn before I can even do that. I think im going to get it all running, learn how to do the basics and then think about putting mods etc into it. Its all for the experience!
I fix cars.
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

fraz91 wrote:I'm currently doing the same thing you are with lawso's old NX Coupe, albeit without the engine swap. Plans for that are to fix up the gearbox, put a button/organic clutch plate in, and then look at putting a low-pressure turbo on it (5-8psi). Basically, give maximum torque and power with minimal modification to the engine. Before the turbo, going to upgrade the shocks, swaybars, swap as many bushes from rubber to polyurethane as possible, install H-bracing, strut-tower braces front and rear, and then some simple alloys with good rubber on them. It'll cost me a bit, but by the end I'll have a simple and stock-looking NX coupe that will handle as well (if not better) than an FTO 8)
Do want to drive this once completed, no matter what you do with it.

That car as it was; was a tonne of fun in the twisties, the jello suspension simply meant you needed to know how to handle it. Having proper suspension however, I can only imagine how much more fun it would be.
And I do agree, it would out-do an FTO!

So long as it doesn't sound like a ricers wet dream, I might take it back off you should you decide to sell, keep me informed.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Problem with turbo'ing an engine that wasn't meant to be turbo'ed, is turbo'ing an engine that wasn't meant to be turbo'ed.

Naturally aspirated cams profiles are not designed to work with a shitload of mixture being hard spoon fed in, they're designed to scavenge as much air/fuel in as possible on their own.

Buy my nos kit instead :D
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

What $$$$ are you after for it Ben?

Edit:- just seen other thread for this.
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

fraz91 wrote:NX Coupe)
Bennoz wrote:Buy my nos kit instead :D

See what I did there?
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Bennoz wrote:Problem with turbo'ing an engine that wasn't meant to be turbo'ed, is turbo'ing an engine that wasn't meant to be turbo'ed.

Naturally aspirated cams profiles are not designed to work with a shitload of mixture being hard spoon fed in, they're designed to scavenge as much air/fuel in as possible on their own.

Buy my nos kit instead :D
Isnt that kind of like, illegal.. and stuff..
I fix cars.
wagonist
Apprentice

Post by wagonist »

I know is a bit old now, but also looking at a bitsa, so don't what to waste space on what is an FTO forum.

Did this ever go through?
If not, I've seen the Eunos 30X V6 in older 323s. Apparently goes in relatively easily.

I'm looking at V6 conversion into my X3 Excel.
Already got a Mitsubishi (Eclipse) LSD, FTO brakes front & rear, and Mitsubishi driveshafts.

I'm trying to find out dimensions or if anyone's got a dud engine & box laying around (In Sydney) that I could measure up or do a dummy fit with.
Alternatively, seeing as the V6 bolts straight into a Mirage, might find dead ones of those to dummy fit instead.
daily driver:Toyota Caldina GTT manual
weekend racer: Hyundai Excel, Elantra 2L HVT engine & gearbox, Mitsi Eclipse LSD, FTO rear brakes, Mivec FTO front brakes
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/43b8k0fus8uu ... %20527.JPG
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Nope, the bloke I was possibly getting the car off decided to repair it. Instead im reconditioning a 6A12 Mivec engine and dropping it into a different shell to my current.

I currently have an engine sitting on a stand in my garage, more than welcome to come take some measurements, or test-fit it if you can be bothered and B.Y.O engine crane ;)

PM me if interested, I live 5 minutes from Maroubra.
I fix cars.