Auction Report

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

makawatoo
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Auction Report

Post by makawatoo »

I've put a holding deposit on an FTO GR while I sort out insurance. The problem is that I asked the dealer for the auction report, but it seems his dog has eaten it.

Would anyone buy from a dealer without an auction report? Is this basically saying he's a dodgy brother.

Is there any other way he can proove the grade of the car?

Cheers
Makawatoo
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

welcome to the forum dude.

without the auction report, you'd literally have no choice but to take the dealer's word for it, and because of that he could be bullshitting you for all he cares just to make the sale...

if you have eagle eyes, do a thorough inspection all over the car and check for any inconsistent panel fittings, paint finish, rust, worn interiors, etc etc. i usually despise used car salesmen like germs, so i am extremely sceptic (hence that's why i bought mine directly from an auction myself so i get the full auction inspection reports etc)

in a nutshell if you trust this guy, go with your instincts... personally i'd stay away and play it safe.
makawatoo

Post by makawatoo »

I've had a pretty good look and the exterior/interior looks good, but I'm a little concerned about the engine or if it's been in a crash.

Anyone know of a company on the GoldCoast that will give the car a proper inspection like NRMA (I'm in Sydney)
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Try RACQ! They like NRMA for Syd & RACV for Mel. Or u can call up any mobile mechanics, they do the same stuff!!!

Well the best is 2 put it on a hoist , check all the weld part, & if u c any uneven or different color then u know its been in an accident. It goes the same under the bonnet.

Also check the power steer rack, bushs as well!!!

Cheers
AJY11Q
Apprentice

Post by AJY11Q »

FTO338 wrote:Try RACQ! They like NRMA for Syd & RACV for Mel. Or u can call up any mobile mechanics, they do the same stuff!!!

Well the best is 2 put it on a hoist , check all the weld part, & if u c any uneven or different color then u know its been in an accident. It goes the same under the bonnet.

Also check the power steer rack, bushs as well!!!

Cheers
yeah that's right..
u will never know unless you are real expert of car..
Auction sheet..90+% dealers don't provide..
Why? all import car are ODO rewound and bad history and etc
I saw one fto pop up real odo later..
makawatoo

Post by makawatoo »

Well, I got my hands on the auction report, doesn't help me too much since I can't read Japanese. It does tell me the mileage and Auction Grade though, which definately helps.

It shows a number "2" on each wheel and a line going to a couple of the panels with a "U" or maybe a "J" (can't tell). Any thoughts???
Auction sheet..90+% dealers don't provide..
Why? all import car are ODO rewound and bad history and etc
I saw one fto pop up real odo later..
so what your saying here is that everyone's FTO has had it's ODO rewound and has a bad history...

cheers
Makawatoo
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

I think mine has been wound back at least $40000km.

Get an inspection done by RACV or VACC. I know that VACC charge $125 and that might give you some peace of mind. Don't be expecting any opinions from the inspection mechanic though, just facts - they're supposed to be very IMPARTIAL.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

how do you wind back the odometer on the FTO? aren't they digital? ...oh, i guess it is possible to replace the entire dash cluster from a newer wreck i suppose, but then it may not be consistent with the overall condition of the car....??

oh well, this is one main reason why i do not buy from dealers... you never know how dodgy they can get!
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

makawatoo wrote:Well, I got my hands on the auction report, doesn't help me too much since I can't read Japanese. It does tell me the mileage and Auction Grade though, which definately helps.

It shows a number "2" on each wheel and a line going to a couple of the panels with a "U" or maybe a "J" (can't tell). Any thoughts???

Makawatoo
I think what u got there is the de-registed paper, scan a copy & post it on the forum, from memory someone can read jap here!!! So hopefully He/She can translate it 4 u.

Ohh & about winding back a digital ODO, its can be easily done! I've seen lots of cars & motorbikes been done after they did the engine swap, so like 02NV said, i only get my cars from either direct from jap or importer (not dealers) that i know really well!
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

makawatoo wrote:Well, I got my hands on the auction report, doesn't help me too much since I can't read Japanese. It does tell me the mileage and Auction Grade though, which definately helps.

Makawatoo
I think what u got there is the de-registed paper, scan a copy & post it on the forum, from memory someone can read jap here!!! So hopefully He/She can translate it 4 u.

Ohh & about winding back a digital ODO, its can be easily done! I've seen lots of cars & motorbikes been done after they did the engine swap, so like 02NV said, i only get my cars from either direct from jap or importer (not dealers) that i know really well!
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

sounds like a auction sheet to me

there should be your chasssis number on there too so you know it is for your vehicle

usually in the bottom right hand corner[/img][/code]