Oil pressure

New to FTO's? Or Just new to this forum? Come introduce yourself, we dont bite.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Rabbit
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Oil pressure

Post by Rabbit »

Hi Everyone,

Can someone tell me what Oil pressure (PSI) I should expect when testing? I will be connecting a tester in the oil pressure switch. (GPX 94)

When I changed my oil (started up and stopped again) I noticed that when I had the oil cap off (from what I could see) it looked pretty dry rather than smothered with oil. I suspect not enough oil is getting to the top of the motor. (Yes, I am getting a tapping sound. I have had the tappets clearence adjusted and I initially thought this was the issue. Now I am suspecting lack of Oil to the top of the engine.)

Also When I changed my oil (I just bought the car) I noticed a small dent/scrape in the oil pan. (running from front to rear as if the previous owner hit something). Also the oil temp sensor were was ripped out from the drain plug (thus the oil temp gauge is not increasing). The dent is very minor but when I discussed this with someone (very car savy) they mentioned the oil screen(strainer/pickup) could be partial blocked (not able to get oil) or damaged (sucking air) due to this dent/scrape.

So if the oil pressure is low/nill I will check the oil pump and the sump. If pressure is ok then I need to check the flow in the top of the engine. So if anyone can tell me what a healthy FTO oil pressure should be it will help heaps. (have not found it in the workshop or engine manual)

Also if anyone has any experience in this with any tips that would help too. (I.E can I get the oil pan off without taking anything else apart etc etc).

spetz
Oldtimer

Re: Oil pressure

Post by spetz »

Low oil ticking only happens to cars with hydraulic tappets (where oil pressure makes them go up).
The MIVEC has solid tappets which are adjustable, and if they are ticking they need adjusting.

I cannot tell you the pressure, but at idle I would expect at least 40psi, and it would probably reach 90psi.
Keep in mind oil temperature, type of oil and condition of engine bearings all affect oil pressure.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Yeah ^^^

About 30-40ish on idle (depending on the oil temp) & it can actually head upward of 100psi at full throttle.

And yeah, I'd pop that sump off & have a look. Just need to pull the lower section of the exhaust off first, then its just a bunch of 10mm bolts.

Also keep in mind, the mivec motor replies on oil for the mivec function to work. Solenoids open at a certain rpm & the rocker assemblies flood with oil, pressuring a pin out in the rocker arms & locking the secondary arm onto the larger profile cam lobe. So oil pressure is super important in these motors.
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

MIVEC?
Bennoz wrote:rocker assemblies flood with oil
It's super effective!

:lol:

Ehhhhh, end the bloody day already. :roll:
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Astron_Boy wrote:MIVEC?
It's super effective!

Yes mate, its home time *pats Dan on head*

bass_twitch
Oldtimer

Post by bass_twitch »

Bennoz wrote:
Astron_Boy wrote:MIVEC?
It's super effective!

Yes mate, its home time *pats Dan on head*

Your e-penis just keeps growing!!
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

bahaha, oh man, that pic is getting a work out alright.

5 mins to go... then the commute home. :evil:
Rabbit

Post by Rabbit »

Thanks for the advise and feedback. I will be taking a look on Thursday (next day off) and update how it turns out. I have been driving the car for 2 months after the initial car purchase (absolutely love the performance and handling - non stop smiles) so I hope I have not damaged anything so far. The engine is responsive, smooth, MIVEC kicks in with no issues, does not over heat and the oil lamp has never lit up (only for 1 sec when I start up does it illuminate). I could be over reacting but it just looks too dry when I take the oil cap off the rocker cover. I did replace the oil (10W40 semi-synthetic) and oil filter as soon as I bought the car.

I have seen a lot of posts and photos for installing a permanent pressure guage so thanks to everyone as they have really helped in understanding options for the FTO. This was not on my to do list but I now realise the importance of monitoring oil pressure I have added it.

Cheers
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

It's not dry, the 6a12 seems to suffer from oil sludge that builds up in the heads.
Rabbit

Post by Rabbit »

Thanks all for the feedback. Oil pressure tested well. Results;
- Cold startup idle: 40 PSI
- Warmed up idle: 32 PSI
- Reved (once warmed up): 105 PSI
- On startup and revved the pressure gain is very quick (not slow building)
- On shut down the pressure takes just over a second to return to zero (not instant).

Next actions:
- Clean out sump and head sludge
- install permanent oil pressure guage
- new cable from sump plug to oil temp guage (found it was ripped out)

Cheers