Turbo Timer

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

paladin
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Turbo Timer

Post by paladin »

as iam gettign a new engine in and having experianced the cst of such a thing :9 i am fittign a trubo timer to be that extra bit safe with my engine....

i was woundering what would people recomend? i want a ice Razo one but there ultra rare etc...

my bro thanks one like in his s15, a pencile A'pexi, is pretty good, but half the options you pay for on it are purly turbo options....

i was woundering if anyone could recomend a good 2 in 1? (turbo and speed timer)
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

IMO you don't 'really' need a turbo timer for an NA car, unless you fang it on the redline very often... you could just sit in your car and let it cool down on idle for 3 mins or so.

but if you really have to, you could look on eBay and there are plenty of cheap Jap turbo timers available... ;)
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Hmmm I had a turbo time on both N/A & turbo car before, & its useless in N/A car, the only thing it will do its actually build up the heat in the engine, so you not actually saving your engine.

Is just like when you idle the car for awhile at the red light, you can see the engine temperature raise up & the thermal fan turn on just to cool down the engine.

The whole idea of turbo timer is for the heat/pressure that you had build up during driving to escape, as turbo produce 4 times the heat compare to same engine that is N/A.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
paladin
Mechanic

Post by paladin »

well i am after any safty mesure after poping out the money for an engine etc...

and from what i have read its equally importent to cool the engiens internals as it is to the turbo?

think i solved the problem though

ebay - tway fm alarm with remote engine start for cold mornings(climate controll :) and turbo timer
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

I'm with Kev and Mikey on this, it really won't offer any advantage to a NA engine, the heat just isn't that big an issue. But you seem hell-bent on getting this thing which makes me think you want it for reasons other than cooling your engine down, so it really doesn't matter what we think :P
MIVEC is My Friend :D
Slither
Mechanic

Post by Slither »

like kev said there is really no point in running your engine to cool it down!! your engine temp is not gunna cool much if its left running, n/a engines r not turbo engines!!

Unless your gunna redline the thing everytime u drive in every gear i really wouldnt bother with it

my 2c
Jono
Mechanic

Post by Jono »

ive always let my engine idle for at least 20 30 sec's after a Hardish' run..

my theory is that the Coolant still runs around the engine whilst running thus a mild cooling effect. but after a certain period of time the coolant gets hotter and so does the engine.. so leaving it on for a long time(3mins) wouldnt be a good idea.

My 3c

Jono
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Do keep in mind engine start is illegal for the manual cars in Australia, & unless the supplier give you a separate solenoid for the manual, it won't work either.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
paladin
Mechanic

Post by paladin »

Hmm, i guess its an overwhelling 'no point' then! and if thats teh case no point in that alarm really as i already have a decent one :/

bugger :)

well save some money i guess :) thanks fellas
MADFTO
Mechanic

Post by MADFTO »

Eh, always let your engine coolant equalise before turning your car engine off. You know what happens when you let different parts of metal cool down at different rates =P

Surefire way to weaken components =)
Adriano
Grease Monkey

Post by Adriano »

paladin, just curious, how much did u spend for a new engine if u dont mind me askin.... and what engine did u get? cheers