powering speaker + amp

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

thecook
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

powering speaker + amp

Post by thecook »

I have a pair of soundstream 6x9 3 way speakers with 120RMS. I also have a 4 channel sony xplod xm444 amp, which I think is about 160RMS (4x40 or 2x80).

If I powered the speakers with 2 channels from the sony amp, will the speakers have enough power? Or should I bridge 3 channels from the sony amp and power the speakers like that???

With that 1 channel that is left, is it possible to power a pair of small powered speakers aswell?
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

each output channel relates to one of the input channels (i.e. the left channel or the right channel).

So if the amp can be bridged, you would set it up in one of the following ways:

4 Channel - 2 x left channels (1 x front + 1 x rear) and 2 x right channels (1 x front + 1 x rear)

2 Channel - 1 x left channel + 1 x right channel

1 Channel - mono (normally only for a subwoofer)

Based on your setup you could do either the 1st or 2nd. You could keep the amp in its 4 channel setup with both your front and rear speakers being powered by it. Alternatively you can bridge the amp to make it a 2 channel amp (if it is capable of doing this) and use the amp just to power the rear speakers, you would power the front speakers directly from your HU. The benefit of the second setup is that more power is available to the rear speakers, but depending upon the power of your HU the front's may be underpowered.
MIVEC is My Friend :D
mrdj1234
Grease Monkey

Post by mrdj1234 »

just a quick note here... you can only ever bridge 2 channels together - you can't usually double bridge a 4 channel amp into a single mono block (it's technically possible, but difficult to do) best bet is to bridge the amp and get 2 higher power stereo channels and still run the speakers in stereo - or get a bigger amp.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

80 wrms is good enough for the speakers.

You dont need to put in as much power as the speakers can handle. Thats their maximum power handling.