Love my tappets

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

sivan
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: Love my tappets

Post by sivan »

Got the day off work too so I'll deff come, even if there's not enought time to do mine I should still learn a thing or two :)
bass_twitch
Oldtimer

Post by bass_twitch »

Should be a good day,
Will aim to get up there nice and early then, because I've got a few things to get done me thinks..
Would it be a hassle if I did:
- Tappets
- Coolant flush and replace
- Oil and filter
- Spark plug seals (Maybe?)
- Power steering fluid replace.

I've got the knowledge to tackle half of that, will people be able to guide me through the rest?
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

All sounds easy enough bass_twitch, go for it :D
I'm doing all that and more on mine during the week.
You going to do spark plugs too?
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
bass_twitch
Oldtimer

Post by bass_twitch »

PHIL069 wrote:All sounds easy enough bass_twitch, go for it :D
I'm doing all that and more on mine during the week.
You going to do spark plugs too?
Nah, no need to do the plugs - did them a while ago but put in irridiums, so they should be all good :thumright:
Is there anything I will need to buy in preparation for the 29th and all that work other than:
- Coolant (how much should I get)
- Oil and filter
- Replacement power steering fluid (again, how much is normal?)

Not going to do the spark plug seals now, :geny:
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Power steering fluid is Dextron III, I got 10 litres of it from work for free :twisted: , so don't buy it I have heaps.

Coolant, just buy a bottle of concentrate like this and it will fill your cooling system and you will have left over for future top up's, you can get cheaper stuff too.
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online ... escription
Buy a bottle of this too, it is better to use in your cooling system than tap water. At only $5.75 you will stop the build up of scale.
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
bass_twitch
Oldtimer

Post by bass_twitch »

PHIL069 wrote:Power steering fluid is Dextron III, I got 10 litres of it from work for free :twisted: , so don't buy it I have heaps.

Coolant, just buy a bottle of concentrate like this and it will fill your cooling system and you will have left over for future top up's, you can get cheaper stuff too.
Buy a bottle of this too, it is better to use in your cooling system than tap water. At only $5.75 you will stop the build up of scale.
Thanks Phil :D
Legend!
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

No worries mate :thumright:
I have a collection of different sump plug washers, so we can install a new one of them too for free. Thanks work :cheeky:
bass_twitch
Oldtimer

Post by bass_twitch »

PHIL069 wrote:No worries mate :thumright:
I have a collection of different sump plug washers, so we can install a new one of them too for free. Thanks work :cheeky:
Been running without one for ages too,
It seems you are a mind reader!
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Hey Phil -

Since we are doing tappets, would it be an idea for me to do spark plugs at the same time? Dont know when they were last done.
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
sivan
Apprentice

Post by sivan »

I was going to do a full service on mine too but don't think the parts are gonna get here in time since i gotta order most of them from the UK. I wanna do Oil and Filter, coolant, fuel filter, spark plugs and leads, O2 sensor and top up the rest of the fluids. First service since I had the car so might aswell do everything.
ZFL45H1
Oldtimer

Post by ZFL45H1 »

Daniel2019 wrote:Hey Phil -

Since we are doing tappets, would it be an idea for me to do spark plugs at the same time? Dont know when they were last done.
mate if u have doubts and think they need doing it's the perfect time for it :D
gotta get there one day :)
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

Daniel2019 wrote:Hey Phil -

PHIL069 wrote:Would be a good idea to bring new spark plugs if you have'nt changed them for a while.
:geny:
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

I don't mind us doing services.......but I think you will all agree that tappet adjustments will be priority (spark plugs, leads etc are part of the tappet job)
In saying that, services can more than likely be done on cars waiting for and/or after finishing their tappet turn.
I will be trying to go from tappets on one to tappets on the next, while others are stripping/constructing engines and servicing.
We need to allow the engines to cool down before starting tappets, so the earlier you turn up the better.
@ daniel2019, you will be getting your hands dirty :lol:

Just a reminder.......
PHIL069 wrote:Note: I know I can adjust your tappets back to specs, if you end up with more noise after adjusting I am not to be held responsable :!:
P.S. I drink Jim Beam and I like FTO spare parts :lol:
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

PHIL069 wrote:I don't mind us doing services.......but I think you will all agree that tappet adjustments will be priority (spark plugs, leads etc are part of the tappet job)
In saying that, services can more than likely be done on cars waiting for and/or after finishing their tappet turn.
I will be trying to go from tappets on one to tappets on the next, while others are stripping/constructing engines and servicing.
We need to allow the engines to cool down before starting tappets, so the earlier you turn up the better.

Just a reminder.......
PHIL069 wrote:Note: I know I can adjust your tappets back to specs, if you end up with more noise after adjusting I am not to be held responsable :!:
Regular Jim? Black/white label, or honey jim? Take your pick mate :mrgreen:
I fix cars.
ZFL45H1
Oldtimer

Post by ZFL45H1 »

Never honey Jim beam taste like sh*t I'd say white for Phil
gotta get there one day :)
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

Daniel2019 wrote:
PHIL069 wrote:I don't mind us doing services.......but I think you will all agree that tappet adjustments will be priority (spark plugs, leads etc are part of the tappet job)

Just a reminder.......
Regular Jim? Black/white label, or honey jim? Take your pick mate :mrgreen:
:utbnb:
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

ZFL45H1 wrote:Never honey Jim beam taste like sh*t I'd say white for Phil
Yeah i dont really like it either but each to their own haha
I fix cars.
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Daniel2019 wrote:Black & white label, and honey jim, and Devils cut? Have the lot mate :mrgreen:
:cheers: :thumright:

White label will do! 1.125Litre???
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Last chance to get your name in for a bit of FTO engine experience and a chance to meet up with other members.
Just confirming the list and I will be PM'ing my address tomorrow night.

Members confirmed for tappet adjustment
1. Daniel2019
2. bass_twitch
3. sivan (your adjustment will depend on time available)

Members confirmed for assisting
1. Vectose
2. ZFL45H1 (Arriving in his HydroFTO)

Awaiting confirmation from
1. ninpofto
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Yep I'm still in. Just to make sure - I need -

6 x NGK Iridium spark plugs

1 x 1.25L bottle of white label Jim Beam

To get there early to let engine cool down (aim to arrive 8:30am?)

Edit - and lawso said he might come. Said he can do his own tappets (GX - non adjustable) and can probably help out to an extent with other people's cars and provide general "lols" for the day.
I fix cars.