A philosophical question for car enthusiasts

Anything off topic that you want to share with the group. (warning this board may include coarse language)

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

bjk
Totes
jedwabna poszewka promocja

A philosophical question for car enthusiasts

Post by bjk »

For those interested, a question.

Although this is not specific to cars but much of "Western" culture, as this is relevant to the forum and to myself, I'll keep it on that theme.

Essentially, can you justify modifying your vehicle, visually or mechanically, beyond its requirements to function, especially as these can cost many thousands of dollars, in light of issues like global poverty? I realise it's a bit of a cliche, but although I cannot control how others spend their money, or indeed even tell them how they should, because I can make my own decisions, I don't think it would be morally defensible for me personally.

TL;DR, starving children in Africa, why spend money on cars?
POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
bass_twitch
Oldtimer

Re: A philosophical question for car enthusiasts

Post by bass_twitch »

bjk wrote:For those interested, a question.

Although this is not specific to cars but much of "Western" culture, as this is relevant to the forum and to myself, I'll keep it on that theme.

Essentially, can you justify modifying your vehicle, visually or mechanically, beyond its requirements to function, especially as these can cost many thousands of dollars, in light of issues like global poverty? I realise it's a bit of a cliche, but although I cannot control how others spend their money, or indeed even tell them how they should, because I can make my own decisions, I don't think it would be morally defensible for me personally.

TL;DR, starving children in Africa, why spend money on cars?
:lol: seriously? 8O
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Quite.

I do things like this a lot.. :lol:
Image Image Image Image
phi-tec
Veteran Mechanic

Post by phi-tec »

The way I see it. U can't save the world by urself. If everyone just helped everyone around them we'd be ok ;p

Spending money on cars : pays "mechanic " mechanic eats and doesn't starve
Plus spending money on cars helps the economy some how. And I'm sure itl help Africa somehow :p
You have the right to remain silent, anything you do say will be quoted and used against you
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

I had to read the TL;DR AFTER the blurb as I didn't get the context...

Meanwhile, not really going to answer that.
It's a thought that comes to mind every now and then.

In the end, you're only going to get selfish answers, as those who truly give a damn, live like those who they care for....

Not digging anyone, live how you feel you should, but yeah, it's a selfish world, and a deluded one at that.
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

As further context reminder, being an artist does funny things to ones brain like this.

It's just disappointing I guess that some people's livelihoods are constructed on, at least in the social view, unnecessary things. And it would be unfair to them to make them find a new profession.
Image Image Image Image
Akys
Manual Conversion

Post by Akys »

this is like an essay question in UNI. lols

Rich people who donate to charity bodies do drive/own expensive cars (ferrari, Aston etc). why? if helping a world really that important they could have got a hybrid $20k cars.
Spending money on cars do push the economy in some ways like create job opportunities, help advertise motorsports (official motorsports event not illegal street race) which sometimes they donate to charity as well, and some people actually travel to attend automotive events which brings up the economy of the particular country.

Humanity are selfish and realistic, as much as they do care about others( maybe), for whatever reason whether its genuine or for the purpose of just showing to the world they do care( putting a mask on their face) they will still have to/ want to fufill their own desires.
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

If i don't buy a part off of somebody locally, they may not be able to pay their own bills etc :p
Stopping poverty can start in your own city too ;)
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Thanks for the responses everyone. I guess it is quite a personal deliberation.

At the moment I'm trying to figure out a project so I can do both at once. Even if it's further awareness or point-making than direct benefit. Quizzing myself on to what degree selfish motives play a part though.
Image Image Image Image
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

Why do you assume that people only spend money on themselves? I spend money on my car (no where near as much as some people here) and donate to charities, both local and international..
LED ALL the things.
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Supplanter wrote:Why do you assume that people only spend money on themselves? I spend money on my car (no where near as much as some people here) and donate to charities, both local and international..
A lot of this question is open to interprutation.

In the end, for my point of view.

Why have a car at all, when there are people without clean drinking water and sufficient food...

I don't want to make this in to a debate, this kind of topic tilts on an extremely fine border between all out war. (again, in my view)

But yeah, I'm in a similar boat to you, 4 cars and various charities, fact of thinking about it, all my charities are to help people that are probably still more fortunate than those in countries of higher poverty.
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

Astron_Boy wrote:interprutation
:geny: :geny: :geny:
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Look out! A Gen Y spelling Nazi :o

We've never encountered this before... Must. Find. Another. Smilie!
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Supplanter wrote:Why do you assume that people only spend money on themselves? I spend money on my car (no where near as much as some people here) and donate to charities, both local and international..
That wasn't an assumption per se, but it was just the matter of, again, whether I personally can justify spending THAT much money on myself. Don't get me wrong, I do sometimes buy things for myself and nobody else, and I'm not saying it's an inherently bad thing to do (economy and all that jazz, and also just being happy emotionally).

For your consideration:
Astron_Boy wrote:Why have a car at all, when there are people without clean drinking water and sufficient food...
'Nother point made. Of course, then you have the crazy cars-are-of-the-devil-and-should-be-destr...recycled, environmentalists. Different reason though. (although I heard the other day that it was more 'environmentally' beneficial to drive a Hummer than an eco car, not sure if it was full electric or hybrid that was referred to, just because of the production costs that go into them).
Bennoz wrote:Look out! A Gen Y spelling Nazi :o

We've never encountered this before... Must. Find. Another. Smilie!
What format do the smilies have to be in? Maybe I can do one up. :P