A philosophical question for car enthusiasts

Anything off topic that you want to share with the group. (warning this board may include coarse language)

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

bjk
Totes
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: A philosophical question for car enthusiasts

Post by bjk »

Thanks a lot for sharing Phil, it's quite relevant. Especially in terms of what dstocks said about making your passion benefit other people around you. And I think your mention of the forum is as much so. When I first saw an FTO on carsales, I had no idea what it was, but I was instantly attracted to it. But after the car, I realised I also wanted it to be a part of this community (not that not having the car stops me, as is currently evidenced, but just so I had that next degree of commonality). because despite it's occasional crudeness ( :lol: ) when it's needed, people here can really empathise.
phi-tec wrote:these topics remind me of conversations after too some bikkies,
ignore me if i sway off the topic etc, was a lot to read
but the way i see it, for myself, i have enough issues looking out for myself financially etc etc, after all the partying etc etc i noticed how all my money disappeared with nothing to show (obviously memories and good times cant necessarily be bought etc etc)
after that i realised i need to have some materialistic assets.. (just felt like i needed to) so buying stuff for my car was the start.. house etc has to come later for me personally. as for donating, i dont donate money to overseas even my parents home country, not cause i dont want to or anything, i just never have and dont really plan to. i have/do donate stuff to redcross etc, and give money to the poor that i see on the street (THAT I ASSUME, are not druggos)
come to think of it i dont know if my post even means anything. im jst venting :)
Any contribution is welcome. :) not here to be judgemental about how people spend their money. Just looking at the issue as a whole.
POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

Amazingly I was asking myself the same question about giving back about a month ago. I saw images such as these that are quite moving:

These made me reflect on how lucky we are and that's including those who claim to be impoverished. These people in a day would eat less that what you can fit in the palm of your hand. And you can imagine we wake up each day and choose something to wear whereas their children would basically only have one item of clothing - dirtied underwear or shorts probably made from just discarded fabric. It would be naive to assume that they should just get a job but even the menial of jobs require even a small amount of schooling. Imagine not learning what a kilogram was, or understanding how far a kilometer is because you were never even taught what a meter or a centimeter was. How do even do basic labour work if you weren't taught how to read.

The sad truth is that these people were born into this misery. A lot of people who fall on hard times at least have some education behind them and can recover. Imagine being born and your goal is not to go to school or choose what career you want to do when you grow up......from the age you're able your job is to find food, water and shelter just to stay alive.

I for one would prefer my income tax to be distributed to such a cause because as an example, my $10 might help keep some of these people alive just a little bit longer as opposed to my $10 going to some deadshit on the dole spending my money on his next 6-pack of beer.

Anyway......it really made me think that so many people out there need help. But would I give up my plans in life or my dreams to help those really in need? And when I'm in my deathbed......if I did help them would I look back and feel content and happy? Or would I regret not living life I planned? Tough question....and I still don't really know the answer
You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

It's exactly that. I very honestly think I can recall a time when I cried reading statistics. That might seem melodramatic, but it was immensely hard to grapple with. Which is why, despite arguments for supporting jobs and the economy in ones home country, I feel like I don't have a lot of excuses. If it was the case that everyone felt so compelled to redirect their money, that demand for 'unnecessary' things dried up instantly, and lots of people got put out of work (although arguably they'd still be better off), then I might be inclined to think there's a degree of balance. But obviously that hasn't happened, and the minor good I can do for extreme poverty is better than the minor good I can do for middle class Australians.
POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

bjk wrote:It's exactly that. I very honestly think I can recall a time when I cried reading statistics. That might seem melodramatic, but it was immensely hard to grapple with. Which is why, despite arguments for supporting jobs and the economy in ones home country, I feel like I don't have a lot of excuses. If it was the case that everyone felt so compelled to redirect their money, that demand for 'unnecessary' things dried up instantly, and lots of people got put out of work (although arguably they'd still be better off), then I might be inclined to think there's a degree of balance. But obviously that hasn't happened, and the minor good I can do for extreme poverty is better than the minor good I can do for middle class Australians.
Just to set the record straight I didn't say don't help out middle class Australians specifically. I was just using that example to illustrate that on a sliding scale.....the homeless guy sleeping outside Safeway in Melbourne is in a much better place than the people in the pic above.
You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Nacho wrote:
bjk wrote:It's exactly that. I very honestly think I can recall a time when I cried reading statistics. That might seem melodramatic, but it was immensely hard to grapple with. Which is why, despite arguments for supporting jobs and the economy in ones home country, I feel like I don't have a lot of excuses. If it was the case that everyone felt so compelled to redirect their money, that demand for 'unnecessary' things dried up instantly, and lots of people got put out of work (although arguably they'd still be better off), then I might be inclined to think there's a degree of balance. But obviously that hasn't happened, and the minor good I can do for extreme poverty is better than the minor good I can do for middle class Australians.
Just to set the record straight I didn't say don't help out middle class Australians specifically. I was just using that example to illustrate that on a sliding scale.....the homeless guy sleeping outside Safeway in Melbourne is in a much better place than the people in the pic above.
Yeah, I got that. Although does our tax go towards things like that? I know very little about it.