Big brake kit

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Bennoz
National President
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: Big brake kit

Post by Bennoz »

phunkydude wrote:Research, solution, acquisition, implementation.

All in 2 days time. Love your productivity! :lol:
:lol:

I waited 2 f**king years for this car to get done (and done badly) so there is no moar waiting, only doing!
fraz91
Hair-do

Post by fraz91 »

Bennoz wrote:
phunkydude wrote:Research, solution, acquisition, implementation.

All in 2 days time. Love your productivity! :lol:

I waited 2 f**king years for this car to get done (and done badly) so there is no moar waiting, only doing!
That's the spirit old chap! Now pour yourself a tinny and get cracking! :salut:
I'll have an FTO one day... i swear!

until then:
1. 2001 Merc-Benz A160 (porta-loo on wheels)
2. 2007 Peugeot 307 TDi (more fun than you'd expect)
3. [url=ttp://ftoaustralia.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=25373]2009 Mitsubishi Triton Di-D (a monster in its own right)[/url]
4. 1992 Nissan NX Coupe (club car and project car)
5. 1996 Holden SB Barina - "The Nugget"
6. 1996 Jeep XJ Cherokee Sport - The Budget Build
7. 2010 Toyota Landcruiser 76 Series - V8 Goodness... - Build coming soon.
8. 1990 Audi 90 manual - The delightfully dignified daily driver
Astron_Boy wrote:No correction needed Gen Y, you are correct.
Bennoz wrote:My rubbing happens on the inside.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Ok, so here is the nitty gritty.

Everything you need is on an Evo 5, all bolt on. However I had to fiddle a bit to get the bits I need, as the wrecks only had certain bits.

Control arms:
- Evo IV and V are a direct fit. You need these because of the ball joint fitting on the bottom of the hubs.
- Evo III is the same basic control arm (minus the sway bar link area on the arm (which to us is a GPvR style) however the ball joints are the same as FTO (and Magna lol) which do not meet up to the hubs we need to use for this.
These were the only arms I could get today, so I bought the Evo IV/V ball joints & pressed them in myself.
- FTO arms. Yes! You can use them, however you need to press out the ball joints & use 'modified' Evo IV/V ball joints. They will sit too high if you just press them in normally.

Hubs:
- Must be Evo V. As you can see by the pics, they have the correct mounting space for the Brembos. Evo VI and up use yet another ball joint fitting which wont fit in the early style arms, so they're no good. The Evo IV never had Brembos, they used a caliper similar to GPX, so no good for us.
- ABS is available in these hubs, just in a different position, so all good for those with ABS
- Check the condition of the wheel bearings in the hubs. Evo V wheel bearings are f**king expensive 8O

Control Arm Bushes:
- The front bush is the same as all FTO's. Same aftermarket poly bushes will fit too 8)
- The rear bush is the same as a GPvR. The same aftermarket vR bushes will fit (I have some on order lol)

The full kit..

Difference between Evo II, III, ball joint versus Evo IV, V ball joint.

Evo III control arms with Evo IV/V ball joints pressed in

Evo V hub

The little bolt that holds on the dust cover (Evo V hub) which as you can imagine is being ripped off & binned.

Comparison of FTO arms & hub, versus retro fitted Evo III arm (Evo IV/V would have been direct fit) and Evo V hub.
Note the difference in rear control arm bushes, that's because I didn't run GPvR bushes. I do now because of this :cheers:

More to follow as I fit it all together :)
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Shane001 wrote:
Bennoz wrote:
Shane001 wrote::facepalm2: you're right, it is 67. I was looking at the DBA catalog, lists it as 69, should have known... :lol:
You know the annoying thing about this, I've been looking for replacement rotors going off the specs from the DBA catalog :evil:
Yeah I know, stupid me right :lol:

I'll check my 'cracked' DBA rotors later and see if they are actually 69 or 67 :?
Well well well, very interesting, the DBA rotors are in fact 69mm, as are the Repco cheapies I've been running, as are my new Brembo Sport. The hub definitely is 67mm though, so front brake rotors for the FTO are not hub centric 8O

So, think I'll take back that facepalm now = - 1 :facepalm2: :lol:

Now back on topic, you got these Brembo's fitted yet Ben :D
Edit: Must have hit submit as I was typing :lol:
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Oh & I spose I've forgotten to answer the most important question of all... the price... :lol:

Once again, 'mates rates' has occured. I paid $1200 for all of this (some $400 cheaper than the whole UAS kit.. grumble grumble grumble lol.)

Apparently, if it was not mates rates, they quoted me at least $1600 (the wreckers (SSS automotive @ Giraween) that supplied all this for me)

However, guess what pads were in the Brembos that were supplied?? (with 85% meat I might add...)

EBC Reds! :D
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

Looks good, and interesting Bennoz,
Mind if I ask, What that all set you back?
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Bennoz wrote:- FTO arms. Yes! You can use them, however you need to press out the ball joints & use 'modified' Evo IV/V ball joints. They will sit too high if you just press them in normally.
When you say modified, in the pic with the 2 ball joints side by side they look like the base part is the same height?
How would they need to be modified for use with FTO arms?

Also were the Evo III arms alloy?
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Evo 5 hubs open up a whole new world of brake upgrade possibilities
http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeK ... modoption=

Or if you just need replacement rotors for the Brembo calipers;
http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeK ... on&option=
Last edited by Shane001 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Shane001 wrote:
Bennoz wrote:- FTO arms. Yes! You can use them, however you need to press out the ball joints & use 'modified' Evo IV/V ball joints. They will sit too high if you just press them in normally.
When you say modified, in the pic with the 2 ball joints side by side they look like the base part is the same height?
How would they need to be modified for use with FTO arms?

Also were the Evo III arms alloy?
Where the ball joint presses into the Evo control arm is very thick, its a cast arm. The FTO arms are pressed sheet arms & when you press the joint in, its sits much higher. It's a different 'seat hight' if you will. I was shown the difference by Chris Meek (of Meek) when I was out there this arvo. I gave him an FTO arm & the Evo arm as we were discussing what ball joint to use. He helped me pick all the different bits to make it work.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

I've edited that big post too. Those Evo II/III ball joints are nothing like an FTO / Magna ball joint (FTO / Manga joints pictures here)
Attachments
DSC00556.jpg
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Oh & they're not alloy arms at all, they're cast steel lol. So they're actually not light at all! Mind you, not a great deal difference between FTO arms. Much more rigid though.
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Bennoz wrote:I've edited that big post too. Those Evo II/III ball joints are nothing like an FTO / Magna ball joint (FTO / Manga joints pictures here)
Ah cool, so definitely better to get the Evo arms as well.

Thanks Ben.
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

You can also get a Brembo Sport rotor for this kit PN FS.121.000.
Also Brembo Turismo 2 Piece Rotor kit PN 101.6001A drilled or 102.6001A slotted.

What are the rotors like that came with your hubs?

Sadly it looks like Evo's weren't big in the states until later models :(
Last edited by Shane001 on Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:58 am, edited 4 times in total.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

I'm trying to confirm, but I'm told this Brembo caliper setup was used on the later model Evos.

The rotors I ended up with are just stockies. However they're massive :lol: 320mm dia & 32mm thick.
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Still OK for now though?

It appears the Brembo Turismo rotors are 2 piece floating. Nice. These would be the ultimate rotor for this kit.
http://www.brembo.com/en/car/Racing/Str ... Discs.aspx
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Bennoz wrote:I'm trying to confirm, but I'm told this Brembo caliper setup was used on the later model Evos.
The Brembo rotors are listed for Evo VI, VII, VIII & IX, I cross referenced both the rotor dimensions and the pad used, so looks like it.
Also just checked the DBA catalogue, same rotor Evo VI to IX!

Massive find Ben, well done :cheers:
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

I believe this guy wrecks evo's from his backyard, a guy from work bought a bonnet scoop from him, he has a lot moar than he advertises.
Might help you guys ;)
0430 805 359 jimmy
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/parramat ... 1002552702
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Hmmm this is very interesting - This will probably mean i will specifically source an evo 5 cut now instead of sourcing a 4g seperately as well as brakes if theyre going to be a direct bolt on.
Will be interesting to find out whether or not these were fitted to the later evo's, might open up my options a bit hopefully.
All i can say is tax time :cheers:
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

I haven't read everything, but will contribute what I know:

1. FTO hubs have 130mm bolt spacing for the caliper carrier
2. Evo's (and Magna) have 160mm
3. I think you can use Magna knuckles, and Evo brakes fit directly onto them (Evo IV 294mm, or Brembo)
4. You will have bumpsteer problems with the Magna hubs
5. You can use Evo IV-VI knuckles, lower control arms and tie rods and use the Evo brakes. Evo V and VI will widen the track though.
6. You can use Evo IV-VI knuckles, lower control arms and tie rods and AWD Magna/Ralliart Magna brakes (same as Evo IV brakes) or 380 brakes which are 294mm still but thicker rotor and larger calipers
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Ok, just some FYI.

The front lower control arm bushes aren't quite the same as FTO.

FTO uses SPF1160 - Evo arms use SPF1715K (slightly different length.)
http://www.superpro.com.au/find-superpr ... t/SPF1715K

The front lower control arm rear bush is the same as GPvR
SPF2025K - Standard Offset http://www.superpro.com.au/find-superpr ... t/SPF2025K
SPF2026K - Castor/Camber Anitlift Offset http://www.superpro.com.au/find-superpr ... t/SPF2026K