Side Repeaters

Bodykits, Interior modifications, Rice Products, anything that is for looks

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

hj27910
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Side Repeaters

Post by hj27910 »

Hi all!

I've been searching up for new side repeaters for my FTO since mine have slightly faded. I can't seem to find any searching "FTO repeaters" but these repeaters off an MX5 look VERY similar. If somebody can check these out and tell me if they fit, that'd be greatly appreciated! :D

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MAZDA-MX5-90 ... 493wt_1037

Thank you
Bennoz
National President

Re: Side Repeaters

Post by Bennoz »

Yes but they need modification..

Compliments of Alanperu on FTOOC
Alanperu wrote:Here is yet another way of creating clear side repeaters!

I was originally planning to saw the backs off both pairs and stick them together (as per NobbyV4's how to), but when I removed my original repeater and compared it to the MX5 version I was surprised at how similar they were.

There are 2 main differences from the MX5 repeater to the orange FTO repeater. They are:

1) The notches cut out of the back where the bulb holder fits.

2) The FTO repeater clips in at the top (using a V-shaped groove) and bottom, whereas the MX5 repeater only clips in at the bottom.

I figured that I could just solve these 2 differences, rather than saw them in half!

I didn't have my camera when I originally did this, but hopefully you can see from the finished pictures what I was trying to achieve.

First the tools:

Ok, so here are the steps.

1) Open the door as wide as you can so you can see the repeater in the wing, then use a long screwdriver (or equivalent) to push the retaining clip upwards it should then pop out at the bottom and you can pull the whole unit out.

2) Remove the bulb holder - it's a simple twist and pull out.

3) Next you need to add extra cut-outs for the bulb holder to your MX5 repeater. I used the wire cutters here to pinch and soften the plastic and then used the serrated knife to do the rest.

4) Then you need to remove the old retaining clip from the orange repeater. To do this bend the clip back so that you can see the metal flap underneath (used to secure the clip) and use the small screwdriver to push this down so you can pull the clip out.

5) You are going to use this clip to secure the MX5 repeater at the top. To do this you need to make a slit in the top section of the MX5 repeater so you can slide the retaining clip through. I used the knife again to do this. It takes a while (about 10 mins per repeater) but if you have Dremel (other small multi-functional power tools are available) you may be able to do this in seconds.

6) Once you have done this, I would advise testing it works. As long as the clip is fairly secure in the repeater (without needing glue) you can refit the repeater without any problems - you may need to play with the angle of the clip slightly, but the pressure on the clip should keep it firmly in place (see below for how my one looks).

Also refit by hooking the top in first then push the bottom in and it should click in nicely.

7) Now remove repeater again and the retaining clip and go and clean out the inside of the repeater as it will have lots of bits of plastic in it. I just ran it under the tap giving it a good shake. Then pushed some kitchen roll in to dry it out. Then I gave it a quick blast with the hair-dryer to make sure all the water had gone.

8- Now glue the retaining clip to the repeater - easy.

9) Once dried, refit and admire your work.

I know this is a bit of overkill as there are already a few ways to do this, but I haven't seen this method mentioned before.

Hope it can help a few of you in the future.

Cheers.
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

D-Speed also do them.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

silverGPX wrote:D-Speed also do them.
Now at the bargain basement price of just $120 delivered :|

Just checked Perfect Run's website...
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Just had a look at them as well, they dont look like mine either, mine say KT project on the lense, who makes them?
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Well there ya go, everyday's a school day.

Same price though :lol: $102 + $20 shipping.
hj27910

Post by hj27910 »

I think I'll give that a go, Bennoz, it seems so much better than forking out $120 for side repeaters. :lol: Thanks a lot for the responses!