New suspension...

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

den0va
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

New suspension...

Post by den0va »

Okay so here's the deal,

My brother just recently bought himself a '97 GPX and I have found that his ride is A LOT more smoother than mine (and on another note his steering has a better feel too). So in me saying that I was wondering what my best option for new suspension would be. (yes I know there is a whole thread on suspension, which has like 400+ posts, but I was looking for a direct straight forward answer). That is replacing the lot, also while I'm at it I wanna lower it only SLIGHTLY by like 2-3cm or so. Anybody wanna throw me some suggestions?

Cheers :D
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Re: New suspension...

Post by zuihoujueding »

What is your current setup? When you said smooth, do you mean more comfy?

Most would recommend KYB Excel G shocks with lowered King Springs for street use. The excelG shocks are manufactured to oem spec, maybe slightly uprated. and the King Springs will lower the car slightly around 1-2cm.

To top it off, replace the front and rear sway bar bushes to urethane from Superpro.
bass_twitch
Oldtimer

Post by bass_twitch »

den0va wrote:Okay so here's the deal,

My brother just recently bought himself a '97 GPX and I have found that his ride is A LOT more smoother than mine (and on another note his steering has a better feel too). So in me saying that I was wondering what my best option for new suspension would be. (yes I know there is a whole thread on suspension, which has like 400+ posts, but I was looking for a direct straight forward answer). That is replacing the lot, also while I'm at it I wanna lower it only SLIGHTLY by like 2-3cm or so. Anybody wanna throw me some suggestions?

I just installed KYB excel G shocks with lowered Lovell springs.
Loving the height, feel and ride.
Got them all from here: http://www.carpartsaustralia.com.au/
Cheap, easy and efficient.
Highly recommend!
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Throw some poly bushes on the front control arms as well. Also think about strut braces if you don't already have them.
fraz91
Hair-do

Post by fraz91 »

bass_twitch wrote:
den0va wrote:Okay so here's the deal,

Highly recommend!
Lovells coils are fantastic for ride quality/comfort. I've got them in the front of my truck and even though they're a lifted coil, they still handle and ride a LOT better than the factory equipment. KYB Excel G shocks are great as well, as they're a high-quality direct replacement for the original equipment. They are valved slightly differently compared to the original stuff though.

New Control arm and swaybar bushes (as well as link pins if the rose joints are stuffed) will make a massive difference to the handling of the car.

If you can, find out what suspension is on the car that has the feel you're chasing. That way you'll be able to get exactly what you're after ;)
I'll have an FTO one day... i swear!

until then:
1. 2001 Merc-Benz A160 (porta-loo on wheels)
2. 2007 Peugeot 307 TDi (more fun than you'd expect)
3. [url=ttp://ftoaustralia.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=25373]2009 Mitsubishi Triton Di-D (a monster in its own right)[/url]
4. 1992 Nissan NX Coupe (club car and project car)
5. 1996 Holden SB Barina - "The Nugget"
6. 1996 Jeep XJ Cherokee Sport - The Budget Build
7. 2010 Toyota Landcruiser 76 Series - V8 Goodness... - Build coming soon.
8. 1990 Audi 90 manual - The delightfully dignified daily driver
Astron_Boy wrote:No correction needed Gen Y, you are correct.
Bennoz wrote:My rubbing happens on the inside.
ZFL45H1
Oldtimer

New suspension...

Post by ZFL45H1 »

Nuff said lol
gotta get there one day :)
den0va
Grease Monkey

Post by den0va »

Interested in the KYB excel G shocks and lowered Lovell springs. What would the total price of all 4 to be replaced?

Also just the sway bar bushes to be changed, what about actual sway bar change? I was reading over my brothers paperwork of work done to his car, which was left by previous owner, just before and he's had some sway bar work done on his.

Also I am interested in a front strut brace, I won't need the rear brace will I? :L
bass_twitch
Oldtimer

Post by bass_twitch »

den0va wrote:Interested in the KYB excel G shocks and lowered Lovell springs. What would the total price of all 4 to be replaced?

Also just the sway bar bushes to be changed, what about actual sway bar change? I was reading over my brothers paperwork of work done to his car, which was left by previous owner, just before and he's had some sway bar work done on his.

Also I am interested in a front strut brace, I won't need the rear brace will I? :L
bass_twitch wrote:
Highly recommend!
plus installation.