Best/Affordable Coilovers?

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

mela!
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by mela! »

Does anyone have any recommendations for the most affordable/least sh*tty or best quality used coilovers? Can't afford the $3k out of pocket this time around (still recovering from the Celica), but everything's on it's last legs so it's getting time to upgrade.

I need adjustable height and camber all round, on a '98 GPX.

Any suggestions? :)

Another question... Anyone ever seen a FTO stanced like this?
http://www.stanceworks.com/wp-content/u ... 10/Car.jpg
Is there a reason why not? Cause I guess I'll be the first ;)
Taz
Oldtimer

Re: Best/Affordable Coilovers?

Post by Taz »

If your going for on the cheap and it has to tick the boxes, BC racing coilovers are around the 1200 mark. some people say theyre cheap, some people have and love them, personal preference it seems - obviously not going to be as good as say a set of Hypermax's or Comp-x's but your not paying 3-4k (which probably would be too stiff for non track use anyway)

Never seen an fto stanced like that - tbh i dont think it suits the fto and is very impractical for just getting a look
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
phunkydude
Veteran Mechanic

Post by phunkydude »

problem with fto is the front bar sticks out overhang upfront hence you can't lower it that much without destroying your front bar.

you can see those 135i, rx8, 350z ... have a very short front.
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

Also never seen any FTO coilovers with the ability to go that low!
Taz wrote:When funds allow
ZFL45H1
Oldtimer

Post by ZFL45H1 »

In the last photo I can still drop the height another 20mm in the rear and bout 30mm in the front cost 1200 from justjap
gotta get there one day :)
Gholdwayne
Oldtimer

Post by Gholdwayne »

My FTO has BC golds and I can stance it like that 350Z but it is too impractical and the front toebar will too much things.. The way my car is sitting now, it is already sitting on the fine line of practical/impractical...

Why not buy height adjustable shocks + lowered springs + camber tops(for the front)...? you'll have a way better ride comfort compared to coilovers... Trust me, coilovers are pretty stiff on the softest damper adjustment...
97 GPX Icelle Blue

I cant stop driving her!
...and when im not, im looking at her!
... ...and when im not, im freakin thinking about her!

FTO[For The Orgasm]
like For The Win!, but more hardcore...
ZFL45H1
Oldtimer

Post by ZFL45H1 »

Gholdwayne wrote:My FTO has BC golds and I can stance it like that 350Z but it is too impractical and the front toebar will too much things.. The way my car is sitting now, it is already sitting on the fine line of practical/impractical...

Why not buy height adjustable shocks + lowered springs + camber tops(for the front)...? you'll have a way better ride comfort compared to coilovers... Trust me, coilovers are pretty stiff on the softest damper adjustment...
I agree in every way lol especially the damper adjustments mine on soft feels floppy an on hard I'd rather break my back haha go lowered springs unless u plan on trackdays of course
mela!
Apprentice

Post by mela! »

ZFL45H1 wrote: In the last photo I can still drop the height another 20mm in the rear and bout 30mm in the front cost 1200 from justjap
What model are they?

I'm running coilovers front and spring+dampener setup in rear on the TA22, the thing I dislike about a seperate spring and shock setup is that unless I either replace or chop springs, I have no real allowance for height adjustment...

Yeah I have to agree, the front bar is an absolute pain in the ass. I'm looking at more practical alternatives.

I've done a little research and I know CE Lancer coilovers fit into Pre-facelift models which isn't much help. No other cars that I can chop and change aftermarket setups for?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

mela! wrote:I've done a little research and I know CE Lancer coilovers fit into Pre-facelift models which isn't much help.
Where did you hear that? :? FTO struts are the same no matter what the year model..
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Bennoz wrote:
mela! wrote:I've done a little research and I know CE Lancer coilovers fit into Pre-facelift models which isn't much help.
Where did you hear that? :? FTO struts are the same no matter what the year model..
Arent GPR different?
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

The struts could be the same but may be the spring rait and height could be different.
ZFL45H1
Oldtimer

Post by ZFL45H1 »

I have the BR version eBay ATM for 1299.00