Looking at an FTO need help

New to FTO's? Or Just new to this forum? Come introduce yourself, we dont bite.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Sean_Simpson
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Looking at an FTO need help

Post by Sean_Simpson »

Hi Guys

Im looking at buying an FTO as my first car, I love the look of them and have found one but i need some help with other stuff. I live in country NSW (about an hour from bathurst) and dont know about servicing, i dont know a whole heap about cars but i have a trusted mechanic in town. Im also in Sydney every weekend for sport. Any suggestions on where and how to get it serviced and how to get the parts incase something goes wrong? Ive been told that someone in the club can ship basically any part I need to me and wondering who it is? Im thinking I can just get it serviced locally and when it comes to major servicing or repair I will just have to get the required parts from one of you guys, would this work? :) Any help would be great Cheers
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Re: Looking at an FTO need help

Post by Daniel2019 »

Sean_Simpson wrote:Hi Guys

Im looking at buying an FTO as my first car, I love the look of them and have found one but i need some help with other stuff. I live in country NSW (about an hour from bathurst) and dont know about servicing, i dont know a whole heap about cars but i have a trusted mechanic in town. Im also in Sydney every weekend for sport. Any suggestions on where and how to get it serviced and how to get the parts incase something goes wrong? Ive been told that someone in the club can ship basically any part I need to me and wondering who it is? Im thinking I can just get it serviced locally and when it comes to major servicing or repair I will just have to get the required parts from one of you guys, would this work? :) Any help would be great Cheers
FTOs really are cars for fanatics and car lovers. They do require a fair bit of upkeep. Cheapest way to service it would be to do the basics like fluid changes yourself. The main parts guy for us is a member called 'dstocks' who was contacts over at Mitsi Japan as far as I know (correct me if im wrong someone?) and he also wrecks FTOs and distributes parts around from that. Often theres people with part mule cars going around so depending on what part you need, it usually isnt difficult. Someone is bound to have what you need lying around somewhere.

And WTTC! :cheers:
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
Sean_Simpson

Post by Sean_Simpson »

Thanks :) yeah i know enough about cars to do the oil and fluid changes myself and was planning on doing that, i just wasnt sure about more serious stuff. The car im looking at has an new 6cl Mivec engine in it with only 50 000 kms would there even be anything else major that would need replacing soon? Because if not im more than capable of keeping oil up and keeping the car generally in good condition. Im presuming in that case I wont be needing to source parts for a while yet anyway, but if say I do end up needing a new panel, etc. you guys just post on the forums and find parts fairly easily?
dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Yeah, im the parts person..... Contacts in Japan if the part cant be had locally.

Welcome to the club BTW.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    shadowarrior
    Tightarse

Post by shadowarrior »

WTTC :cheers:

Dwayne (dstocks) is your primary go to person for the parts you need if you can't find them in the Trading Post section here.

Also, give this list a read: http://ftoaustralia.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8085
    It covers some good points on what to look for when buying a FTO.

Roof rust is one of the common things which will cost you a fair bit to repair properly. Have a look at how well the car was maintained by the previous owner. Find out about timing belt etc changes he has done. Heater coil is another common area of problem sometimes. Drive the car around and check the gear shifts, specially if you are buying an auto.
    Sean_Simpson

Post by Sean_Simpson »

Thanks Ill ask him about that :)

it had manual transmission put into it and it all feels pretty good after taking it for a test drive, no roof rust that i can see and the interior all looks pretty good :)

getting NRMA or someone like that to check over it fully and if its all good ill most likely be getting it and might see you guys round at bonfires and days and stuff :)

Thanks for your help and quick replies its a great club youve got going on here, look forward to getting more involved in it in the future!
    ZFL45H1
    Oldtimer

Post by ZFL45H1 »

to bad u didnt post this like 3 days earlier there was a group of us at the bathurst goin around the track could of looked at a few lol
    anyway WTTC mate look farward to meeting u and your ride :D
    aza013
    NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

WTTC :D .
    Sean_Simpson

Post by Sean_Simpson »

Yeah i saw that! I was actually looking at the FTO and taking a test drive the day you guys were down in bathurst :|

And thanks :)
    PHIL069
    Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

WTTC Sean_Simpson,
    I hope you find your dream FTO, they are a very addictive car, you wont stop buying it gifts :lol:
    mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
    Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
    aza013
    NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

PHIL069 wrote:you wont stop buying it gifts :lol:
    :lol: is that what you call replacing old worn out parts these days :lol: