Stud Converters?

Anything off topic that you want to share with the group. (warning this board may include coarse language)

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

xj265
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Stud Converters?

Post by xj265 »

Hey everyone,

I wanted to get opinions on running stud converters, here is why'

My mum removed her 19" rims off her Audi TT and went back to stock rims, these 19" rims would fit very nicely with the new sky.line however the stud pattern is wrong.

I'm not too bothered to be honest but thought I would at least find out if it would be worth it.

5x100 to 5x114.3

cheers
spetz
Oldtimer

Re: Stud Converters?

Post by spetz »

It's unsafe I think, and 19" is 2" too big for an FTO
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

xj265 wrote:My mum removed her 19" rims off her Audi TT and went back to stock rims, these 19" rims would fit very nicely with the new sky.line however the stud pattern is wrong.
spetz wrote:It's unsafe I think, and 19" is 2" too big for an FTO
Come on, spetz, your Gen Y is showing. :geny:
LED ALL the things.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Should probably read the whole post before jumping to conclusions...
I just saw 19"... stud pattern... FTO forum... and I was immediately "nah"

Either which way I think it is unsafe and it is definitely illegal.
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

And 19 is only 1inch bigger than allowed, can go 2 above stock which is 16
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

Taz wrote:And 19 is only 1inch bigger than allowed, can go 2 above stock which is 16
Someone else showing gen y.

@xj is this what you are after?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-BILLET-WHEEL- ... 504wt_1163
Taz wrote:When funds allow
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

How is my gen y showing? Legal rims can only be 2 inches above stock size, which is 16inch, which gives 18inch maximum. 19 inch is only 1 bigger than 18, not two.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Taz wrote:How is my gen y showing? Legal rims can only be 2 inches above stock size, which is 16inch, which gives 18inch maximum. 19 inch is only 1 bigger than 18, not two.
Its not based on rim size mate, its based on total wheel rolling diametre. Plus its only 1" that you can go bigger... in total rolling diametre.
phunkydude
Veteran Mechanic

Post by phunkydude »

Taz wrote:And 19 is only 1inch bigger than allowed, can go 2 above stock which is 16
Taz wrote:How is my gen y showing? Legal rims can only be 2 inches above stock size, which is 16inch, which gives 18inch maximum. 19 inch is only 1 bigger than 18, not two.
Are you saying, Sky.line V35/G35/350GT comes with 16" stock?

Or, you're talking about FTO while others already mentioned sky.line on posts above and even stated clearly in the main post/question.
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

A friend of mine has 15mm spacers, which are of the same principal design to a stud converter hub.
The ones he bought were fairly hefty and he's already given them a beating with zero issues.

So long as you find some decent ones, then you should be ok.

However, they aren't exactly legal... but what is...

Meanwhile, interesting that the audi is only 5x100... would have imagined 5x120 :S
Last edited by Astron_Boy on Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Hubcentric spacers is the key.
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Bennoz wrote:Hubcentric spacers is the key.
That's the term I was after.
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Bennoz wrote:
Its not based on rim size mate, its based on total wheel rolling diametre. Plus its only 1" that you can go bigger... in total rolling diametre.
I am almost 100% sure somewhere ive read that wheels can only be a maximum of 2 inches bigger than factory.
It probably is another way of saying total wheel diameter - as in no matter what tyre profile you run on 20's the overall is gonna be bigger than a standard 16 etc.
Dont know where the f**k ive gotten that into my head if thats not the case at all 8O
Lawso
Penis Fingers

Post by Lawso »

Taz wrote:
Bennoz wrote:
I am almost 100% sure somewhere ive read that wheels can only be a maximum of 2 inches bigger than factory.
It probably is another way of saying total wheel diameter - as in no matter what tyre profile you run on 20's the overall is gonna be bigger than a standard 16 etc.
Dont know where the f**k ive gotten that into my head if thats not the case at all 8O
then why do hummers runo n fully sick 25's when their stock rim i believe is 16 :P
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Just cause they run em doesnt mean theyre legal
xj265
Mechanic

Post by xj265 »

Thanks guys

Yep Kustom that would do the job but I don't wanna wreck my car :oops:

So from the comments above it would not be worth running stud converters. Better off waiting and getting rims with the right stud pattern
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

When I said 19" is 2" too big I didn't mean for legal reasons, but rather that in my opinion 17" is the ideal wheel size for an FTO
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Taz wrote:
Bennoz wrote:
Technically you can go up 2 rims sizes, so long as you reduce the tyre profile accordingly. As you say, a 16 with a 60 series profile wont be much smaller in total diametre than an 18 with a 40 series etc.
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

xj265 wrote:Thanks guys

So from the comments above it would not be worth running stud converters. Better off waiting and getting rims with the right stud pattern
Well, they're no different to running a hub centric spacer.
The main thing to account for however then would be your offset as it will push the rims out.
the backs may not be an issue, but the fronts might.

Bit of Gen Y showing, Can't remember if Bennoz is running 15mm spacers on the front as well as back... (and too lazy to search)
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Astron_Boy wrote:
xj265 wrote:Thanks guys

Well, they're no different to running a hub centric spacer.
The main thing to account for however then would be your offset as it will push the rims out.
the backs may not be an issue, but the fronts might.

Bit of Gen Y showing, Can't remember if Bennoz is running 15mm spacers on the front as well as back... (and too lazy to search)
20mm on the front, 15mm on the rear.

Oh & :geny:

:lol: