General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

EyezOnMei
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

HELP!!! FTO Repair in Victoria

Post by EyezOnMei »

Hi there,
Well Queen's B'day Monday I was on the way to uni early in the morning to study and turning a corner my car slid (wet road, didn't notice) and I hit a curb... Couldn't drive it after that, no body damage but the wheel was out of alignment and wouldn't drive forward, very difficult to drive reverse (wheel was rubbing).
Anyway, anyone recommend a good trustworthy place to fix my FTO? I think the axle's been damage ( I have no idea about cars, just a guess) but and scratched rim, that was all I could see... Its sitting in the depot and I have no idea where to bring it. Part of owning a jap car I guess =/
Someone please help me by directing me to a place. It's at Box Hill atm but I don't live near there so any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Also, has anyone had the same problem fixed before and anyone know how much its costs approximately? My insurance excess is $2000!!!
Thanks heaps your help is much appreciated!
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

sounds like your axles has either been bent or snapped, and it'll cost you big money to fix... you'd literally need a new axle or a spare one from a wrecker somewhere (if it is unrepairable) to replace it...

best thing to do is get RACV to do an inspection for you and they'll tell you what needs to be fixed and how much they'll roughy cost. My guess is that it'll be close to $2K if not more...

...guess if you went an extra 20kmh slower it would've saved your day!

Good luck...
EyezOnMei
Apprentice

Post by EyezOnMei »

Hey thanks for the reply.
I figured it would cost around $2000 to fix it anyway, especially if I replace the rim, it only had scratching but hey what the heck. Yeah, I'm just glad no one was hurt, too used to being able to take corners in the FTO about 20-25km/h. I guess I should only learn rite!? THanks for the reply, I'd still appreciate more replies though, just for learning sakes, even if its an expensive lesson! Oh, anyone have any idea what it says private messages have been disabled even though it says I have about 5 unread messages? Just wondering!
Thanks!
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

no worries mate, always glad to help... :wink:

if you need some new rims, i have a set of BBS ASA 5-spokers in 17x7 complete with tyres for sale. Visit my homepage for pics and details + price and let me know if you're interested... :wink:

PM has been disabled because there have been ongoing 'sissues' about it in which other ppl can read other's PM messages, and it has been reported as a secuirty issue so they disbaled it until it's fixed... how long, we'll never know...

btw, what tyres were you running on your FTO? 20-25kph in the wet around corners couldn't be that bad...
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Hmmmm like 02NV said, i think u have a serious tyres problem if u car slided at 20-25kmh even in wet, i know i do around 40-45kmh at 90 degree corner in wet.

So is your car at Box Hill, is it on the street? Mechanic's place or Friend's place?? Hope u got RACV to tow your car, if not then hope your car is silver, cause mine is & i've got Total Care with RACV, so i can put my plate on your car 4 the free towing from RACV, if not i can still arrange cheap towing for $45.

Cheers
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

man, you make me wanna paint my car silver too Kev, LOL!!

* touchwood!! *

i thought towing costs heaps more than that?
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Well what u waiting 4!! hahahah start spraying!

Yeah normally towing cost more then that, but i've got a guy will do it for $45, mind u his been towing lots of my friends cars already & of course mine 2, so i know he does a good job & reliable.
EyezOnMei
Apprentice

Post by EyezOnMei »

Thanks guys, much apprecaited, I've let insurance handle it now. $22xx excess but oh wellz, got no time to deal with this b/c this happened when I have 2 exams in a row (today and tomorrow) and too much is hanging on these exams...
But yeah, that's exactly whaty I thought. I baby this car like ANYTHING but recently started testing the cornering abilities due to 'undue influences' from friends and found that it could take corners at high speeds quite easily. This was NOT one of those occasions where I was testing it and it slid. I mean not the time nor the place, I only did it with places without curbs/oncoming cars during the turn...
It was the 1st time it had spent an entire nite out of a garage though... And it was all frosted and things I guess that played a part too, with the car all frosted and stuff, but yeah, the road wasn't visibly wet only when u get out which is what I don't get. Rear tyres still look brand new, front tyres were showing wear (I only got this car in March with newish tyres on front, brand new on back)... 17" 215/R17 whatever that means! lol. Ahh wellz, as long as it comes back on nice and good I'll be happy. And I'll never take a corner faster than 5km/h maybe 10km/h now...
Oh, and about towing, lol my bill is $260 and counting, cos its in the storage depot and they just towed it to "bodyworks" in Nunawading to get a quote. Anyone heard of it ever?!? :? I'll remember u next time (god forbid) for towing though. It had to be removed from there and ASAP I mean, I needed to get to uni to study =/ Lol, my car's blue anyway. But $45 is cheap. Like, the guy nearly scratched my front bar loading it to the tilt tray, he stopped *just* in time, just before I was about to scream... 8O
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

5kmph?? r u serious??? U do know the normal turning speed at driving test is 20-25kmph right??? :roll:
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Hang on didn't i met u at the 2nd cruze, but u have 2 leave early! U were driving at 20-25kmph when u left the corner!! So maybe u just don't know how fast u normally drive!!!!
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

FTO338 wrote:5kmph?? r u serious??? U do know the normal turning speed at driving test is 20-25kmph right??? :roll:
maybe he wants to be extra, extra EXTRA, EXTRA careful ths time... :wink::P

we have what's called 'black ice' spots here in ballarat, in which you get frost forming on the surface of the tarmac and it is virtually non visible, but you can clearly feel your car wiggling as you drive past it because you are literally driving on ice... kida like driving on wet tram tracks is the best description i guess, and usually when you see tyre marks skewing across the double lanes on the highway, you know a truck got caught on one and lost grip... scary stuff!
EyezOnMei
Apprentice

Post by EyezOnMei »

Yeah I was at pancake and I did have to leave early, wasn't even supposed to be there at all I just thought I'd turn up! Man I still wouldn't mind that blue GP-R. it was so beautiful!!! I can't believe its a family car!!!I'd go for Scacy's but insurance is enough of a problem without mods and turbos =P
And yeah, I know average turn is about 20km/h range but u jsut tend to react after an accident u know, I know it was around 20km/h area because the tip downchanged to gear 2 (by itself) as I was turning, in tiptronic mode...
Oh, anyone know how to safely remove stickers? i have the dodgiest GPX sticker on my car and I know it isn't a GPX (it ain't a GR either cos its got a MIVEC engine) but the GPX sticker looks too dodgy, its a different font and something I spotted straight away as an FTO amateur when I went to see it. I dont' wanna claim credit for something I don't have =P
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

i believe the blue FTO with 'GPR' plates that you're talking about is in fact not a GPvR... GPvR never came out in blue i think (unless it has been resprayed which i doubt)

...but it's still a damn good looking FTO though! :wink:

sorry, dunno how to remove stickers from FTO coz i never had the need to...! i guess you just have to have very sharp long nails and peel it verrrry carefully, like i did with my old shitbox Lancer... I completely debadged that bitch with my bare hands, easily...!