Steering wheel quick release

Anything off topic that you want to share with the group. (warning this board may include coarse language)

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Taz
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Steering wheel quick release

Post by Taz »

Any of you (apart from you Phil, i know you got the real deal :lol: ) tried/tested one of these (or something very similar?)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130620111341 ... 1423.l2649

thinking of a cheaper alternative for the track car than a genuine quick release, got to save cash somewhere at this stage.
Last edited by Taz on Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Re: Steering wheel quick release

Post by Daniel2019 »

Not sure why you'd want a quick release seat

:troll:
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

ahahahaha copy paste fail, must of put that on the clipboard afterwards :facepalm:
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Must be a genuine Sparco for that price :troll:
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Taz wrote:Any of you (apart from you Phil, i know you got the real deal :lol: ) tried/tested one of these (or something very similar?)

thinking of a cheaper alternative for the track car than a genuine quick release, got to save cash somewhere at this stage.
:geny:

I know its not a genuine sparco, even if they claim that it was on the ad i would still know, look at the 'p' in the brand - dead giveaway.
bass_twitch
Oldtimer

Post by bass_twitch »

Taz wrote:
Taz wrote:Any of you (apart from you Phil, i know you got the real deal :lol: ) tried/tested one of these (or something very similar?)

:geny:

I know its not a genuine sparco, even if they claim that it was on the ad i would still know, look at the 'p' in the brand - dead giveaway.
eBay Guy wrote:The above photo shows the actual product. The quick release kit is labelled as SPARCO, however this is not a genuine SPARCO product. The SPARCO logo is labelled for cosmetic purposes only.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

There's always one wanker that wants split hairs :lol:
bass_twitch
Oldtimer

Post by bass_twitch »

Bennoz wrote:There's always one wanker that wants split hairs :lol:
Split hairs = A two for one deal? :tongue:
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

BACK ON TOPIC - what are your thoughts bennoz - ever looked into one of these?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

I dunno man... cheap quick release steering hub? Sounds like a recipe for disaster.
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Bennoz wrote:I dunno man... cheap quick release steering hub? Sounds like a recipe for disaster.
Yea i thought that too, but it has a lock tab and 8 ball lock joints, which seems to be the standard for the genuine stuff, and is IDA approved for circuit racing so it cant be all that bad. Ill probably give it a whirl and test it on at home to see if i can try get it off steering and what not.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Yeah but what's IDA approved? Needs to be CAMS approved for use in Aus...

Spose... for $55 bucks lol. Just hope the wheel doesn't pop off when you're doing 220kph in your 4G63 powered monster down the straight :troll:
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

The equivelant of certified for street use, not sure about cams but I'm sure it won't be hard. But yea thinking about it I probably don't qant to skimp on something like this.
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

I wouldn't plan to skimp on anything on your build.
Taz wrote:When funds allow
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

You make it sound so cheap and nasty. Not planning to skimp, just if I can avoid to pay for just a brand name then I will ya know
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Taz wrote:apart from you Phil, i know you got the real deal :lol:
I would give you my opinion but I am not allowed :roll:
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

PHIL069 wrote:
Taz wrote:apart from you Phil, i know you got the real deal :lol:
I would give you my opinion but I am not allowed :roll:
:?:
As in, bad words spoken or? Was it something i said?
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Ok, as others have said there are some things that you shouldn't buy cheap. Especially if your life is dependant on the item not braking. Your control over the vehical is the most important aspect of your car, if you can't steer you're in a pretty f**ked up situation, especially at high speed. It might feel ok in your driveway, pulling on it, testing it.....but trusting it is another thing alltogether. Thats why I purchased a properly made quick release. You wouldn't buy no name $55 rotors/pads/rims/struts etc.... If you don't want to buy a proper quick release then just don't buy one!
Just my opinion, no offence to your desicion Taz :D
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Yea, i know. No offence taken (why i put it in the gibberish section)
I know jack sh*t about quick releases, and was merely wondering if the difference between this and branded ones was the label. If im gonna pay an extra 100 dollars for literally a logo on the item, id rather go a generic no name brand for cheaper (again, stressing that the they are identical apart from the brand mark) - so yea was just curious.

What are some of the differences then found in generic/branded quick releases? Is it purely just assumption that branded gear is better or have actual tests conducted or what not proved they are fool-proof compared to a no name?

Already made up the mind now about getting a branded one (i spose just in case for that peace of mind) but still curious what the difference are.
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

The more expensive brand named ones have been engineered by their own engineers and have patents on them, are made from high quality materials and are generally tested by themselves and in race cars/teams. The cheaper ones are copies that have to change the design slightly to not impead on the patents, are made from infearior materials (they have to be able to make them cheap to sell them cheap) and they would not spend money on testing, and what race team would want to test them.
My NRG branded quick release has US Patent: US752729381.

Just like my steering wheel, I purchased a genuine MOMO wheel from Italy. You can feel the quality, it has been engineered and is made out of the finest materials. Cheap copies are just crap, they bend in your hands, have cheap vinyl instead of the best quality leather etc...

There is usually real reasons why top of the line stuff is expensive and cheap copies are well.....cheap copies.