Bringing it all together

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Taz
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Bringing it all together

Post by Taz »

So i am pretty much at the stage where i need to indefinitely decide what i am putting in, and starting to purchase said pieces for Maverick.
I have found an evo 4 rear diff on ebay for a good price, and was wondering if i can match an evo 3 prop shaft to it, and still run an evo 4 setup for the front and rear, the only thing being evo 3 is the prop shaft.
Another question that i cannot seem to find with a straight forward google search, is if the evo 3 and 4 rear diff's are the same (leaning towards they arent, in which case ill wait out for an evo 3 rear diff as i understand there will be a lot less cutting the floor pan involved and i can use the driveshafts as well) - which leads me to another question - can i interchange an evo 3 prop shaft into an evo 4 diff into evo 3 driveshafts? that right now would be the ideal solution.
Here are some tidbits from other threads ive found to be very useful
Storm wrote:If you stick to using an EVO3 rear end you can use its driveshafts and you dont need to cut out the whole of the floor so you'll keep more integrity in the car. You do need to cut out the part the swinging arms attach to but this it replaced by the diff carrier and the FTO arms & links fit back on.
SG wrote:If you use evo3 rear trailing arms at least you'll have the spot for rear axles to go through. If you use evo 4 i think theres an extra linkage in there somewhere for rear suspension... Evo 4-6 use the same diff hanger/floor plan links afaik. But 5 & 6 have a wider wheel base.. so its either longer axles, or longer diff and rear sub frame for them. Suspension links i think are the same but the pickup points are in different spots...i dont think 5&6 are a good choice unless you do something about the extra tracking
Storm wrote:I'd go for the 4g63 motor and if you get an EVO3 rear floor pan you can stitch in the diff hanger and mounting points for the tank. All the rear suspension links are the same as is the trailing arm, apart from the fact it has a driveshaft running through it obviously. The floor tunnel is big enough for a propshaft, although the exhaust would not longer fit in it.

These have lead me to believe the ideal setup is that mentioned above, interchanging the parts if they are compatible.
As for the Front.

From Ben's evo brake conversion only the evo 5 hubs will bolt up - the control arms will bolt up and are a lot stiffer, and the bushes also fit straight on with no mods required.
So virtually the front end is just bolted up (minus the custom mounts i will have to do for the engine and box)

The engine, will probably have to be a feel on the day when it goes to get put in - theres zero information on custom mounts (as you would expect) but after speaking to Batty, its a very straight forward swap and is surprisingly easy with the only thing really needed is custom mounts.

Ben im assuming is using the original FTO steering rack, so i can just get that reconditioned, and i can use the evo driveshafts - just not sure which ones but im assuming if the rears are suited to a 3, then fronts will be the same.

The exhaust which is apparently not going to fit in the tunnel with a propshaft in there i will probably think about venting to the sides of the car, probably to the rear of the skirts or something similar, i would really like to avoid cutting into the tunnel just to fit something that doesnt really need to be there - CAMS states that it doesnt have to be to the rear of the vehicle and WTAC entry rules state only the clubsprint class need to have it to the rear (which i will be running in the open class when i get there)

Is there any other details that im missing that you have to contribute to this list so far? If i am wrong or off with this current list also, please feel free to correct me and positively use constructive criticism. After that i will go ahead and start purchasing/fitting/confirming all the info here.
When this thread is collaborated hopefully it will give insight to others who are thinking about this.

Also, a Big thankyou to those who have contributed their knowledge and research to the other threads that i have posted - Storm, SG, Bennoz and probably a few others i have forgotten. Hopefully we will see this thing coming together in the next few months!

Cheers guys

EDIT: Please for the love of god dont spam this thread with useless comments like "good luck" and comments not directly related with useful info - i dont want to have to come into the thread everytime something irrelevant is posted - sorry to sound like a dick but it isnt necessary and this is a purpose intended post.
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
Taz
Oldtimer

Re: Bringing it all together

Post by Taz »

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 626178.htm

Evo 1-3 rear LSD - this would be perfect no?
Match it all up to evo 3 running gear all round?
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

You need an FTOoc account dude, your not gonna get any answers here.
Sahin
HULK

Post by Sahin »

Matt! ;)
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Your best bet is to buy an EVO and transfer over!
FlowMoe

Post by FlowMoe »

^ ^ ^
Attachments
456 1000x1022.jpg
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

:troll:
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Extensive plans for Forza 4
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

silverGPX wrote:Extensive plans for Forza 4
sh*t, so I wasn't first.