Version R Vs GPX Handling

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Daniel2019
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: Version R Vs GPX Handling

Post by Daniel2019 »

Ive heard Type Rs are very highly regarded for handling.
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Daniel2019 wrote:Ive heard Version Rs are very highly regarded for handling.
Yea, they are pretty fan-f**king tastic!
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

Taz wrote:
Daniel2019 wrote:Ive heard Version Rs are very highly regarded for handling.
Yea, they are pretty fan-f**king tastic!
Except when one of the bushes becomes so noisy and all I hear is *SQUEAK SQUEAK SQUEAK SQUEAK SQUEAK* every second. :lol:
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

GPvR's = SQUEAK TAP TAP SQUEAK TAP TAP SQUEAK TAP TAP SQUEAK TAP TAP SQUEAK
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

PHIL069 wrote:GPvR's = SQUEAK TAP TAP SQUEAK TAP TAP SQUEAK TAP TAP SQUEAK TAP TAP SQUEAK
:lol: Music to a Japanese mans ears.
Bennoz wrote:
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

There's no way an FTO would be able to compete against a Honda in regards to handling (assuming each has similar suspension mods).
The 6A12 is a heavy cast iron engine, whereas Honda motors are lightweight all alloy units. On top of that the earlier Hondas had double wishbone suspension which have favorable camber change characteristics versus the unsophisticated MacPherson struts in the FTO.
This is not to say that an FTO is a poor handling car or cannot be made to handle great, just that it's predisposed to be worse than a Honda :(

Either way, the reason I ask is because in my car (6A12 converted Lancer coupe) I had the stock swaybar + GPX rear and it didn't feel quite right. I went for whiteline front and rear and the handling was great but ride became too stiff, so now I want something inbetween and thinking GPX front swaybar + GPR rear swaybar
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Kaveman would disagree with you spetz. He took on the DC2s for quite a few seasons in the super sprints & regularly beat them. And he was in a GR. I'm sure I could dig up the Natsoft records if need be. Gotta give away this paper comparison business & actually hit the track.
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

I too have out driven some hoondas on the track even an s2000 :? .
Could just be the driver of them too.
Oh and I should add that I have not tuched the handling side of the car well apart from the rubber. All still factory stuff.
dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

There's no way an FTO would be able to compete against a Honda in regards to handling (assuming each has similar suspension mods).
Thats a very bold statement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTiXnCFT9cY

And the Honda was a mere spec in the rear vision mirror........ Nuff said.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    spetz
    Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Bennoz wrote:Kaveman would disagree with you spetz. He took on the DC2s for quite a few seasons in the super sprints & regularly beat them. And he was in a GR. I'm sure I could dig up the Natsoft records if need be. Gotta give away this paper comparison business & actually hit the track.
    I believe this would be more a result of better driving and/or better parts/tires etc.
    I mean, surely the Type R legend isn't just built on rumor.
    And lets face it, what Honda does best is small NA FWD cars.
    What Mitsubishi does best is turbo AWD road weapons :twisted:
    If Mitsubishi did the right thing and used a 4G63 + AWD in the FTO, the Integra would just be a little kids toy.
    dstocks wrote: Thats a very bold statement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTiXnCFT9cY

And the Honda was a mere spec in the rear vision mirror........ Nuff said.
    That's an Si though, 1.8 non-VTEC YO!!!!! base model. How would the 1.8 FTO compete against it?

btw dstocks, do you ever get GPR parts or whole cars for wrecking?
    dstocks
    National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

btw dstocks, do you ever get GPR parts or whole cars for wrecking?
    Only had the one so far...
    I believe this would be more a result of better driving and/or better parts/tires etc.
    Its actually easier to mod the honda. Many more aftermarket parts available as well. Driving could well be a factor, but I wouldnt bet on the others.
    I mean, surely the Type R legend isn't just built on rumor.
    Im afraid there isnt much in it. The Version R was released to directly compete with the Type R Integra. Stock, I believe that the Integra has slightly more in a straight line, but they are pretty much equal around corners. FTO would crap on the vast majority of honda models of the same time period in the handling department though.

No disrespect, but I have a genuine question. You have an FTO engine in something else (lancer or mirage) dont you? If this is correct, have you ever driven an FTO or in particular a Version R? Just curious?
      If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
      spetz
      Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Any chance of getting another GPR?
      Or maybe borrowing your 20mm rear swaybar to see if it's a worthwhile mod for my car? :mrgreen:

I agree it is much easier and cheaper to mod a Honda but these cars, specifically the Type R variants, became so popular for a good reason I believe. Part of it was the availability of them in the US, marketing strategy etc, but a huge part was also that they truly are a good car. Not to say an FTO is not a good car, and it has some definite advantages over a Type R, but going around corners isn't one of them, at least in my opinion (admittedly this is from reading rather than driving these cars, but so many people can't be wrong, right?)

Yes my car is a Lancer coupe with a 6A12 in it.
      I've never driven a Version R (hence my thread) but I have driven a couple of GPX FTOs.
      Vectose
      Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

spetz wrote:Not to say an FTO is not a good car, and it has some definite advantages over a Type R, but going around corners isn't one of them, at least in my opinion (admittedly this is from reading rather than driving these cars, but so many people can't be wrong, right?)
      But how many of the people that swear that a Type R is the best have actually driven an FTO?
      Bennoz wrote:
      Taz
      Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Spetz, the GPR is a MUCH MUCH better handler than a GPX, even more so with coilovers and fender bars, you really have to experience it - and you ought to at least take a ride in a honda before you back them up as such - a lot of cars have too much hype around them etc.

And Vectose - probably the best point someone will make this thread!
      Sahin
      HULK

Post by Sahin »

Taz wrote:Spetz, the GPR is a MUCH MUCH better handler than a GPX, even more so with coilovers and fender bars, you really have to experience it - and you ought to at least take a ride in a honda before you back them up as such - a lot of cars have too much hype around them etc.

If you say fender bars one more time lol
      Taz
      Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Sahin wrote:
      Taz wrote:Spetz, the GPR is a MUCH MUCH better handler than a GPX, even more so with coilovers and fender bars, you really have to experience it - and you ought to at least take a ride in a honda before you back them up as such - a lot of cars have too much hype around them etc.

:lol: Im trying to find excuses - i really am :troll:
      Bennoz
      National President

Post by Bennoz »

Sahin wrote:

THIS ^^^ :lol:
      spetz
      Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

I am sure the GPR is a much better handler, maybe one day one of you lucky people who own one can take me for a ride :D

The only reason I back up the Type R so much is because I've driven non-Type R Hondas (albeit with some suspension mods) and these already exhibited unbelievable amounts of grip.

And now a question in contrast, has anyone here driven a Type R to be able to say the FTO is comparable if not better through corners?
      Bennoz
      National President

Post by Bennoz »

:facepalm2:

Here's thread we prepared almost 8 years ago on this very topic

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4107&hilit=honda+type
      dstocks
      National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Here's thread we prepared almost 8 years ago on this very topic
      viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4107&hilit=honda+type
      Hey spetz, you were in on that thread as well...... You have been around for a while havent you.

Well its been 8 years, and I wasnt in the previous thread, so ill make a parting statement.

To be fair, ive never driven a type R so youve got me there (but neither have you driven a version R). What I can say is that I have driven quite a few different FTO's and I can say that there is a LOT of difference between a stock GPX and a stock Version R in terms of handling. And a GPX/GR is what the Type R will come up against 95% of the time. As a result, youll get the standard attitude that the Integra Type R is the better handler (Particularly given that the Version R FTO's were very rare in Aus until a couple of years ago due to the extra price ticket for the imports). I just dont think there will be as much difference as you think. My FTO easily out handled the AWD Legnum I had with all the fancy yaw control bits and pieces and the only suspension mod I have is lowering springs. I know the Legnum is heavier by a long shot, but that still surprised me). Put them both on a track I say and you may be surprised at how close they actually are. And on the flip side, I could be wrong. All im saying is dont assume and dont take what someone else says as gospel truth.