Vipfto's turbo project

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

vipfto
Forum Moderator
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: Vipfto's turbo project

Post by vipfto »

remounted cooler much happier with position now ( same side in/out) so wont need to use slim fans

Have ordered new fittings for turbo oil and water lines run out of what I had left (Also these are speedflow and will be braided)

Looked at putting in the Redstuff pads today couldnt be bothered, nothing I can really do now but wait till pipes get done

And orderd all elbows I need for cooler piping I hope :?

still undecided on plumb back BOV or not? Or even go without completely?
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

plumb back.
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Would love to see some pictures :D
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

will get some up soon not much to look at reallky except few braided lines FPR and big hole where turbo will go so far :lol:

also have bought boost gauge now and looking for BOV
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

BOV sorted have option of going either atmo or plumback will run atmo just till I get over the wet my pants sound of FTO pshhhh :lol:

Decided to keep using Emanage but dont have injector harness although not sure if will be required seeing as larger injector/pump and adjustable FPR already installed I think just basic Air/fuel management will suffice (if anyone can shed some more light on if injecor harness needed please do so)
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

you're gonna need to be able to tune fuel, this is critical with a turbo setup.
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

Shane001 wrote:you're gonna need to be able to tune fuel, this is critical with a turbo setup.

surely just the air/fuel adjustment will do seeing as can control fuel pressure already via FPR, Does the injector harness only adjust cycle of injectors (larger already along with pump) or can it also control more?

Bearing in mind will be running low boost nothing over 7 PSI
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Even with a low psi, keep in mind, greatest always example. HKSFTO's extra fuel injector.

You will need fuel management.

And FYI, if you go atmo, you need diff tune then to plumb back, main reason is you will either over fuel, or run lean dependant. It has a bit of give, but can play with your ecu and engine over time.

Edit: having said that, HKS does allow for 2 boost levels, but....
Last edited by Astron_Boy on Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

But how are you going to adjust AFR if you can't control the injectors?
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

does the emanage not already control fuel via 'fooling ecu' its recieving more air to allow for more fuel?

To be sure will get injector harness for safety, just not convinced its required.... esp if i turn up fuel pressure it runs extremely rich in N/A form so must be flowing greater amounts of fuel just not electronically controlled

Will ask tuner tomorrow but will also take on any advice given here too ;)

So far kept well under budget and have all parts needed except up/down pipes so dont mind getting extras for more peace of mind.

Do find it interesting that Kermut used to run bout 8psi on standard ECU for years too

And yes will most likely go to plumb back Astron but also hardly drive FTO (lucky tuning work cost next to nothing on dyno due to sponsoring the tuners drift cars :D)
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

vipfto wrote:does the emanage not already control fuel via 'fooling ecu' its recieving more air to allow for more fuel?
I haven't used the Blue but yes possibly it would, essentially the same as the Haltech does, but personally I wouldn't rely on this for tuning a turbo application. But it's your engine :D :lol:
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

vipfto wrote:Do find it interesting that Kermut used to run bout 8psi on standard ECU for years too

And yes will most likely go to plumb back Astron but also hardly drive FTO (lucky tuning work cost next to nothing on dyno due to sponsoring the tuners drift cars :D)
Yeah, as mentioned the HKS had 2 boost settings, so I think the extra injector was a safety factor mainly.

And that's pretty good then with the tuning bit. helps.
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

updates:

Car at shop for up/down pipes to be fab'd

Once back just have to plumb up oil feed and water lines (have done all new braided lines except drain line, running oil feed line from filter sandwich plate water lines from TB) then remove sump cleanup and tap in for oil return line. install new oil pressure and boost gauges

After that will sort plumbing to intercooler not really looking forward to that have most of joiners/elbows I need but will sort actual piping when I figure how it will go

then down to tuner and hopefully no dramas. Have now got injector harness for ECU too. Interestingly spoke to tuner did say injector harness not a big deal as not adding extra injectors and that they are not a massive size increase over factory more concerned about being able to adjust A/F ratio but it will still be beneficial. Also said BOV not really needed but still installing anyway.

Here are a couple of pics no particular order sorry

will put more once back from pipe work
Attachments
Turbo/intercooler Injectors and fuel pump
Turbo/intercooler Injectors and fuel pump
2012-09-19 18.06.22.jpg (91.7 KiB) Viewed 670 times
intercooler test fit
intercooler test fit
2012-09-21 17.05.43.jpg (94.63 KiB) Viewed 670 times
fuel filter relocated All new lines in from pump and return line with FPR rail turned around and injectors all installed
fuel filter relocated All new lines in from pump and return line with FPR rail turned around and injectors all installed
2012-10-05 18.02.14.jpg (97.19 KiB) Viewed 670 times
2012-10-05 18.02.22.jpg
where Turbo will be mounted
(96.5 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
Turbo being reclocked the circlip is a pain highly recommend a good set of circlip pliers
Turbo being reclocked the circlip is a pain highly recommend a good set of circlip pliers
2012-09-27 22.08.25.jpg (100.99 KiB) Viewed 670 times
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

updates:

None really :evil:

Pipes not done yet two reasons 1. will be cheap so they wont rush it of course although guy doing it goes on holiday soon so will be done before then, 2. didnt have correct down pipe flange and gasket all sorted now should have by tomorrow although that does not meant will be done tomorrow :roll:

Rest of all stuff I need has arrived (gauges and new s/wich plate adapter and couple more elbows) only thing left is cooler piping which cant organise till have her back from pipe work

Total cost so far approx 2k will put up final price list once completed only extra now is piping and tune (which will be free) ;)
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

Finally pipes being done now hopefully finished and back home tomorrow.... only prob is forgot to relocate clutch line so will have to do that too, anyone know the thread for inlet to master and slave cylinders?
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
ObsidianRadio
Oldtimer

Post by ObsidianRadio »

Nice work man!! Can't wait to see it all finished, you're taking me for a cruise 8)
Jack

Livin' the Slow Life. 1997 GP Version-R | 1995 GS/GR Version-SparkleFairy
http://www.facebook.com/SlowLifeAU
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

Props for quick install!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk!
Taz wrote:When funds allow
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

OK finally back from pipe work and what a job!!

All mandrel bends (most have been pre-cut and welded together looks like factory made almost) For dump pipe could only fit 2.5inch which is fine as matches rest of zorst. For outlet they used two pipes one for actual exhaust and one for wastgate which merges together very tidy done, pics will be up over next few days as now have to disassemble and fit all oil/water lines and sort out intercooler piping.

Cost for pipe work $1000 (very cheap) took over two full days of labour guy that did it has over 20 years experience in custom jobs like this but did mention this was one of the biggest pain in the arse jobs he has done.

With the job he has done actually considering to get him to cooler piping too but will see how I go first.

Hopefully as long as rest of work goes smoothly will be running in 2-3 weeks

Still not sure for oil return line either weather to tap into sump with brass fitting or too weld pipe to it but will figure out pretty much last thing before test fire and tune
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Im going to have the same dilemma with the oil return - i was thinking tapping in would be easier in the long run?
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

Taz wrote:Im going to have the same dilemma with the oil return - i was thinking tapping in would be easier in the long run?
Wont really matter either way just depends on how thick sump wall is to how thread can tap, Pipe with hose is fine as not under any pressure but I want to keep common theme of braided lines and fittings plus much better for heat resistance
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI