Spark plugs / Leads with NOS

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

GeeGee
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Spark plugs / Leads with NOS

Post by GeeGee »

I'm getting lost as to which spark plugs I will need. Going from the NGK code here:
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/s ... berkey.pdf
I'm going to need something like an IFR7A-8? Iv read the spark gap cant be more than 0.8mm and that I should go at least 1 Heat rating lower. I have no idea what to do with all the other types such as iridium and the special construction types. Thought i would need something that isn't too fine at the tip also in case it broke off apparently. Although at the absolute most i would only be running a 75HP shot through, so I'm probably over complicating things.

Also someone told me to get thicker leads seeing as i don't have a radio for it to create electrical interference with. I'm going to get pretty blue leads anyway, just don't want to fork out extra for thicker leads if I don't have to.
Taz
Oldtimer

Re: Spark plugs / Leads with NOS

Post by Taz »

The difference between iridiums is that they last a LOT longer than copper and the likes, and would definitely recommend them on the rear bank at least so your not going back there more than you should theyre a pain in the ass.
Your better off speaking to ben about the heat rating/tip - most of us only know about plugs for a NA 6a12
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Just use the standard Platinums PFR6J-11 gapped down to 0.7mm.

And remember to change them every 10k. Nos the burns sh*t out of the tips no matter what type you use.
phunkydude
Veteran Mechanic

Post by phunkydude »

Remember, you'll need a proper spark plug gapping tool to gap plat/iry without actually damaging the tip. It's hard to gap a spark plug without touching the tip.

Bigger gap - burns more complete/combust, stress your coil, risk blow-out, low life on spark plug
Smaller gap - more unburnt fuel, reduce stress of your coil, reduce risk of blow-out, longer life on spark plug

colder plugs - might induce cold start issue, idling issue, spark plugs gummming up, reduce chance of pre-ignition which is good thing if everything gets too hot.

hotter plugs - increases chance of pre-ignition if too hot.
phunkydude
Veteran Mechanic

Post by phunkydude »

And, if you don't plan to gap the plugs then don't go for ones with "-11" model no. at the back as they are of larger gap of 1.1mm, whereas others come standard at 0.8/0.9mm

Also, standard iridium plugs for non-mivec fto are heat rating 6s.
Correct ngk plugs for that would be bkr6eix.

While mivec fto would run heat rating 7s with the correct ngk iridium of bkr7eix.

Platinum is good enough and would last longer than iridium although many boasts iridium gives better power. No comment on this.