Son has just bought a Maloo from Dealer - broke it - FIXED

Anything off topic that you want to share with the group. (warning this board may include coarse language)

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

fraz91
Hair-do
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: Son has just bought a Maloo from Dealer - and now it's b

Post by fraz91 »

Bennoz wrote:The 1 tonner utes did have a different (more heavy duty) diff than regular Holdens, but being a Maloo... it may be similar, I dunno.
1tonners have a live axle with leaf springs and, from memory, the Maloo and SS utes have Independent Rear Suspension (IRS). Unfortunately, the SS is slightly different to the Maloo (WHY GM WHY?!?!) and the parts aren't interchangeable.

As for diff-oil in a RWD, I know my service schedule has it changed every 45k. That being said, it may be different for the HSV's, but if it's using an LSD then I imagine it should have the oil changed every so often. It could also have had the wrong oil put in it, which would wreak havoc on the LSD. Then again, if the diff has been locked (i.e. welded) or damaged, it's entirely possible that it could have just worn away at the CV's over time. :(
I'll have an FTO one day... i swear!

until then:
1. 2001 Merc-Benz A160 (porta-loo on wheels)
2. 2007 Peugeot 307 TDi (more fun than you'd expect)
3. [url=ttp://ftoaustralia.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=25373]2009 Mitsubishi Triton Di-D (a monster in its own right)[/url]
4. 1992 Nissan NX Coupe (club car and project car)
5. 1996 Holden SB Barina - "The Nugget"
6. 1996 Jeep XJ Cherokee Sport - The Budget Build
7. 2010 Toyota Landcruiser 76 Series - V8 Goodness... - Build coming soon.
8. 1990 Audi 90 manual - The delightfully dignified daily driver
Astron_Boy wrote:No correction needed Gen Y, you are correct.
Bennoz wrote:My rubbing happens on the inside.
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Bennoz wrote: That'll be ฿12,000 Baht.
:lol: that'll get you what, all of half a bourbon and coke back home :lol:
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

LOL its about 400 aussie bucks! Aka enough for a bourbon in the resort I'm in haha!
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

The dealer have picked the car up and said the right tyre is worn more than the left so my son must have been doing burnouts and driving it hard therefore he's at fault and they aren't paying up, they are sticking to this even when I mentioned speaking to consumer protection.
Consumer protection people said I now need to get an independant report saying my Son hasn't caused the issue and showing what has caused the issue, I have to pay for this and then let the dealer have a copy and see what they say.

My Son assures me that he hasn't been spinning the wheels and that on the test drive the sales person told him he could do one burnout and one donut - he didn't do either but this shows what has been going on before my Son bought the car, i've phoned the dealer back and told them this and now awaiting a call back hopefully tomorrow.
In the meantime i've found a garage willing to provide a report as i'm not going to let this go.
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

I dare say you're going to be having fun with this one.

Good luck.
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Sadly it'll probably cost you more to chase this than just buying a replacement diff / drive shaft from the wreckers.

How much difference in wear on the tyres? If really noticeable did you not notice this when buying it?
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Bennoz wrote:LOL its about 400 aussie bucks!
:lol: 8O
fraz91
Hair-do

Post by fraz91 »

Shane001 wrote:Sadly it'll probably cost you more to chase this than just buying a replacement diff / drive shaft from the wreckers.

How much difference in wear on the tyres? If really noticeable did you not notice this when buying it?
x2

If it's spat a CV like that, I dare-say something's wrong with the sub-frame in the rear which is putting undue pressure on the CV. A replacement sub-frame that isn't bent or twisted is going to be quite hard to come by, as most of these vehicles are written off by the rear hitting a curb while doing donuts (sadly stereotyping, but it's true).

Kind of agree with Shane about the tyre wear though, surely that should have been something you would have picked up on? And if it's an LSD rear diff, wouldn't burnouts make BOTH tyres equally bald? Something has to be out with the alignment to only wear one tyre.

until then:
3. [url=ttp://ftoaustralia.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=25373]2009 Mitsubishi Triton Di-D (a monster in its own right)[/url]
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

I didn't go with him to buy the car, was trying to talk him out of it before hand but with no luck.
I did notice the right tyre hasn't got loads of tread left the other day but to be honest I didn't compare it to the left, but I didn't notice it being like scuffed up or anything just looked normal.
Interested to hear your thoughts about the LSD spinning both tyres up equally though and therefore in an ideal world same amount of wear.
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Are they the same tyre?
1 tyre replaced before the other?

Is it confirmed this car is equipped with LSD? Perhaps was an option, etc...
Typically it will be stamped or stickered on the diff housing if it is LSD as to notify prior of what type of fluid to use... was the case with my Hilux anyway...
fraz91
Hair-do

Post by fraz91 »

Being the Maloo, I imagine an LSD would have come as standard on the vehicle. That being said, you will need to check if it has an LSD or not. Easiest method is to jack the rear wheels and, with the vehicle in neutral, spin one wheel forwards. If the other wheel turns forwards, it's LSD equipped. If the other wheel doesn't turn or turns in reverse, it's got an open centre.

Once that's done, you'll need to check to make sure the diff hasn't been welded, so get someone to hold one wheel while you turn the other. Easy deduction as to whether the open centre has been welded or not.

In an ideal world, an LSD will allow slip between the rear wheels when driving normally, however will loosely "lock" the wheel together when power is applied. Ideally (and realistically, assuming the LSD isn't stuffed) if your son has been doing burnouts, the rear tyres will wear at roughly the same rate. Powerslides/drifting/donuts, on the other hand, I assume would increase wear on the outside (leading) tyre.

Did your son notice any strange noises from the rear during the test drive or after he bought the vehicle? A CV generally lets you know if it's going to crap itself.

until then:
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

fraz91 wrote:Being the Maloo, I imagine an LSD would have come as standard on the vehicle. That being said, you will need to check if it has an LSD or not. Easiest method is to jack the rear wheels and, with the vehicle in neutral, spin one wheel forwards. If the other wheel turns forwards, it's LSD equipped. If the other wheel doesn't turn or turns in reverse, it's got an open centre.

Once that's done, you'll need to check to make sure the diff hasn't been welded, so get someone to hold one wheel while you turn the other. Easy deduction as to whether the open centre has been welded or not.

In an ideal world, an LSD will allow slip between the rear wheels when driving normally, however will loosely "lock" the wheel together when power is applied. Ideally (and realistically, assuming the LSD isn't stuffed) if your son has been doing burnouts, the rear tyres will wear at roughly the same rate. Powerslides/drifting/donuts, on the other hand, I assume would increase wear on the outside (leading) tyre.

Did your son notice any strange noises from the rear during the test drive or after he bought the vehicle? A CV generally lets you know if it's going to crap itself.
The problem is now, with things busted that test is ultimately moot...

I reckon quickest way is ring up Holden with a vin number and check.
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Also if he's been doing burnouts there'd be rubber up under the guards (or at least if he's been doing good burnouts :lol: )

f**k that brings back memories. Pulled into the Bridge St Mall carpark, 400 Chev 4Sp T10, dropped the clutch in 1st, left foot on brake, slip into second, left foot back on brake, turn steering wheel, feather around 80% revs, slow figure 8, f**king smoke everywhere (Yokies used to smoke up well). Pulled it in and parked next to some mates. 5mins later the cops arrive asking everyone who did the burnout, cop station is just up over the hill, they would have heard it and probably seen the smoke! :lol: No one said a word :lol:

Of course that wasn't me ;) :lol:
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

I phoned the dealer yesterday to see if they have changed their minds (day before I mentioned the salesperson had said he could do one donut and one burnout on the test drive implying their own staff have been doing/allowing this prior to my son buying the car).
Didn't get to speak to the manager as he was in the workshop but he passed a message on saying the driveshaft had been ordered and they should have it wednesday hopefully.
So things are looking up unless there's been some misunderstanding. :)
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Or they give you the bill after the work's been done.

Been there, had that. :roll:
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Astron_Boy wrote:Or they give you the bill after the work's been done.

Hopefully that isn't the case, does this happen a lot?
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Rob Furniss wrote:
Astron_Boy wrote:Or they give you the bill after the work's been done.

Hopefully that isn't the case, does this happen a lot?
Not often, most of the times you can take people through fair trade for an act like that.
In my situation it didn't really matter, as though I had paid, I was receiving funds back for the job anyway. *so I never really paid in the end*
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Re: Son has just bought a Maloo from Dealer - broke it - FIX

Post by Rob Furniss »

Picked the car up and all is fixed, they didn't say much just here's your keys so a good result.
Thanks for all the input guys. :D
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Re: Son has just bought a Maloo from Dealer - broke it - FIX

Post by Astron_Boy »

Hahah, they were probably thinking of ways out of it and simply took it on the chin in the end.

Atleast you scored a result.

Now... new rear tyres...? :lol: