Final Gears - Swappable?

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Orbit-Zzz
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Final Gears - Swappable?

Post by Orbit-Zzz »

Hey Guys,
I'm new to the FTO world. Have a 95 Mivec GPR (I think) with the 4 speed auto tranny and have tried searching to see if this is possible but couldn't find a proper answer.

Refering to this link http://www.mivec.co.uk/performancedata/index.htm is it possible to swap the final drive gear from the 5 speed auto / diff being 3.735 into the 4 speed which is 4.407?
Cheers,
ZFL45H1
Oldtimer

Re: Kaze Fenders Group Buy

Post by ZFL45H1 »

First off welcome
Now u won't have a gpvr as where made 97 or after as for final drive I guess as long as u have the Same drive shaft sizes (as ftos have two different sizes with 25 spline and 27 spline) u should be right but I'm not sure on final drive but 100 percent about model of fto
:)
gotta get there one day :)
Taz
Oldtimer

Re: Final Gears - Swappable?

Post by Taz »

The GP was the early model of the GPR zflash but im fairly certain all GP/GPR's were 5 speed?
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

GP was the pre-facelift vR, but was only made in 1996.
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
ZFL45H1
Oldtimer

Post by ZFL45H1 »

I knew I shouldn't of wrote anything haha oh well that's my learning for the day just in time to :lol:
gotta get there one day :)
spetz
Oldtimer

Re: Kaze Fenders Group Buy

Post by spetz »

ZFL45H1 wrote:First off welcome
Now u won't have a gpvr as where made 97 or after as for final drive I guess as long as u have the Same drive shaft sizes (as ftos have two different sizes with 25 spline and 27 spline) u should be right but I'm not sure on final drive but 100 percent about model of fto
:)
Unlike a RWD, the diff and the final drive are separate on a FWD.

I don't know if the FD can be swapped, but why would you want to? It will yield worse acceleration, with the only real benefit being highway economy
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Orbit-Zzz wrote:Hey Guys,
I'm new to the FTO world. Have a 95 Mivec GPR (I think) with the 4 speed auto tranny and have tried searching to see if this is possible but couldn't find a proper answer.

Refering to this link http://www.mivec.co.uk/performancedata/index.htm is it possible to swap the final drive gear from the 5 speed auto / diff being 3.735 into the 4 speed which is 4.407?
Cheers,
Short answer is no. Yeah you can swap the final drive gear from around the diff with relative ease, but a ratio jump like that means you need the matching gear from the output shaft... the output shaft & final drive cog are one big piece of steel. Which means you'd have to buy an entire 5 speed box & be ripping to pieces. Better off just throwing the whole 5 spd box in & swapping tranny ECUs.
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

There is something in this world you don't know - and my new life mission is to find that something!
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
Orbit-Zzz

Post by Orbit-Zzz »

Cool, thanks for the info guys.
I'll have to look at the model info in more detail, can you tell by looking at the VIN?

Yeah I was hoping for better economy for highway driving, not too worried about the acceleration at this stage but I guess finding a complete 5 speed setup would be fairly expensive?
Sahin
HULK

Post by Sahin »

The money you save from better economy on the highway is not going to equal what you spent on doing the swap for quite a long time...
Convert it to manual ;)
Orbit-Zzz

Post by Orbit-Zzz »

How expensive are manual swaps? They all seem to have a similar ratio to the 4 speed auto though.
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

You're not going to save money on fuel doing this unless you're planning on keeping the car till you die... even still you won't save much!

Also 5speed tip boxes are weaker and break more often.
Taz wrote:When funds allow
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Kustom wrote:You're not going to save money on fuel doing this unless you're planning on keeping the car till you die... even still you won't save much!

Also 5speed tip boxes are weaker and break more often.
And are also a bitch to get a hold of usually.
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Orbit-Zzz wrote:How expensive are manual swaps? They all seem to have a similar ratio to the 4 speed auto though.
You can usually pick up conversion kits (box, pedals, clutch & flywheel, shifter & cables, dash cluster) for around the $1200 mark.

I recently converted my misses car, took me a weekend & 3 afternoons after work to finish it off.