Steering column rebuild

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Taz
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Steering column rebuild

Post by Taz »

Its getting to that time where im getting quotes for everything for Maverick, and one of the first items on the agenda is a steering rack recondition. Ive found a few places in brisbane just got to get quotes tomorrow.
As well as this im thinking about a steering column rebuild. Has anyone ever done one? will it really be required? Ive done some googling and theres not a lot out there, and most of which are on old old cars that NEED a rebuild. Keep in mind it will be a stressed track car (not sure if this will change conditions or recommended parts etc) but would an old 94GPX steering column be fine or should i get it rebuilt just in case? Or would a decent second hand one suffice? the one out of maverick has surface rust all up the column and cosmetically has seen better days :(
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
fraz91
Hair-do

Re: Steering column rebuild

Post by fraz91 »

The column is just a couple of bearings, unis and a splined slip-joint from my understanding. Couldn't think why it would need to be rebuilt unless it was seized or the unis were stuffed.

Happy to be proven wrong though.
I'll have an FTO one day... i swear!

until then:
1. 2001 Merc-Benz A160 (porta-loo on wheels)
2. 2007 Peugeot 307 TDi (more fun than you'd expect)
3. [url=ttp://ftoaustralia.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=25373]2009 Mitsubishi Triton Di-D (a monster in its own right)[/url]
4. 1992 Nissan NX Coupe (club car and project car)
5. 1996 Holden SB Barina - "The Nugget"
6. 1996 Jeep XJ Cherokee Sport - The Budget Build
7. 2010 Toyota Landcruiser 76 Series - V8 Goodness... - Build coming soon.
8. 1990 Audi 90 manual - The delightfully dignified daily driver
Astron_Boy wrote:No correction needed Gen Y, you are correct.
Bennoz wrote:My rubbing happens on the inside.
Taz
Oldtimer

Re: Steering column rebuild

Post by Taz »

One of those "if its aint broken dont fix it" kind of things? Was just curious if i would see any improvement from a rebuilt one over a regular joe one - cheers for the help fraz
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!