Mitsubishi FTO problems

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Hadi
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Mitsubishi FTO problems

Post by Hadi »

Hey, had recently registered on the irish fto forums being completely unaware there was a good Australian site!

I had posted the topic there and got some great help but I have hit a dead end and was wondering if anyone here had any similar problems in the past.

The automatic ariel/antenna just isn't working. I can hear the motor working away at it but it isn't moving. Is it easy to get to? what should I do?

The other minor issue is the driver side mirror. It isn't folding! if I fold it manually and press the button to "un-fold" the mirrors it will unfold, but will not fold. Hope that makes sense. Any ideas?

the next issue, I understand that it is a common problem and one you are likely sick of hearing about. the car is making a horrible ticking noise from the engine. I have been told that it is the tappets. Does anyone know of a mechanic around sydney who would be able to do the adjustment for me? How much do you think it will cost?

Lastly, the car is starting and then shutting itself off straight away, unless I rev it for a good 20-30 seconds to get it to stay running. Any ideas? Is it common? any estimates on price?

Thanks!
Taz
Oldtimer

Re: Mitsubishi FTO problems

Post by Taz »

Hi there! WTTC
The tappets are a mixed bag, some people say to just replace them as the collets might break when you try to adjust, some say just adjust them. I havent had this issue so i can't say, but any mechanic worth a grain of salt should be able to do this for you.
The mirror is most likely an easy fix, it will be the (solenoid i think?) inside the mirror that is shot, and just takes (a little soldering i believe?) Shadowarrior will be able to tell you exactly what to do he has done it a few times now - it can be done free and relatively easily.
The antenna - is this the one on the back 1/4 panel? It is relatively easy to replace, and dstocks, our resident parts man should have a few on hand for you, and his prices are awesome!
Lastly, the shutting off problem could be any number of things. I would take a stab at the stepper as that seems to be a fairly common problem, just take it out and thoroughly clean it, making sure to clean any sh*t out of the plunger inside, not just clean the outside casing. Could also be spark plugs being the wrong rating etc

Hope this helps!

EDIT: nice car btw! car of the year model?
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
Hadi

Post by Hadi »

Thanks I will look into it, I have heard that replacing them is very expensive so I will probably end up going with the adjustment route. I will probably get them to look at the starting problems at the same time, it's my first car and whilst I would love to learn, without something step by step I don't want to mess around with anything to mechanical myself.

It is the car of the year edition. picked it up in auto for 3700 with about half a year rego. Interior is very clean and the body is great! Just these few problems which I hope I can get out of the way easily and without spending a bunch!

With the antenna, it is stuck in the extended position, I was told that this would make it harder to get to? Is that right? The weather hasn't been great these last 2 days - just removed the fabric clips in the boot and found (what I guessed was) the casing for the motor before it started raining so I didn't get a chance to really check it out.

thanks again!
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

You can pick up a complete set of tappets for a few hundred bucks these days it seems, but yea usually adjusting is the way to go. And its not something to tackle if you're not confident.
Not sure on the antenna, its behind the boot lining, just bolted onto the side of the car behind a panel, you might be able to separate the antenna from the box im not sure.
Thats a great find for that price! Not many of them floating around let alone good condition.
Hopefully the starting issues are an easy fix, and you're not chasing them around forever. What oil are you using also? If its horribly out then that could be whats causing both tappets and starting issues. Id suggest do a good oil change first, with some 10-30 ful synth and see how the tappets and starting issues are then. It might cure one or both if you're lucky - there might be a horribly thin oil in there...
Either way, good luck! hope it pans out for ya
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

Where in Sydney are you ...

Ricol Automotive at Peakhurst do my car(s) and a fair few FTO's... Colin really knows these cars...

Also some of the other people head out to Menai, and go to Pulse.

In the west, MEEK gets my vote... They really know mitsubishi's and have done work on my Evo as well ...

WTTC too ... :)
I just had to add it ......
sublime19 wrote:Lol clearly you don't know me well enough, it was a joke :roll:
I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
Astron_Boy wrote:Hold me Sooty, I need man comfort.
:utbnb:
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

Regarding the mirror, follow this guide to dismantle it, and check it all out.

http://ftoaustralia.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=27231

Nice FTO BTW
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

For tappets - member on the forum - PHIL069

Cost: Bottle of jim beam.
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
ZFL45H1
Oldtimer

Post by ZFL45H1 »

Daniel2019 wrote:For tappets - member on the forum - PHIL069

Cost: Bottle of jim beam.
+1 and a learning experience
gotta get there one day :)
Hadi

Post by Hadi »

Thanks to that guide from PHIL069 and some help from shadow I was able to get the mirrors back to perfect. Thanks for the help.

Now for the sound I'm hearing. I had a look from the videos of the tappet. Defs not the problem. The car isn't even running when I am hearing that clicking sound, it's just turned to acc. any guesses? I can take a video if that would be of any more help.

Thanks
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

So, car doesn't need to be running for you to hear ticking?
Car is in ACC or 'ON' but without turning the car over, and you hear it?

My guess, bad relay.

Does your aircon work?
dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Is the clicking coming from the passengers side under the dash (not engine bay). I seem to remember someone saying it was some one of the servos for aircon. Ill have the part you need if you can identify which one it is (have a complete setup in the maroon FTO im dismantling).

This thread may help:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=25532&hilit=clicking+dash
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    Hadi

Post by Hadi »

nop, aircon is working just fine.

but dstocks, you are 100% correct. It is coming from behind the glove box. I was unable to find the part that was making the noise like andym on the thread you linked but I will give him a pm to see if he could give me a little more information.

if anyone has had to get to the motor for the antenna though, can you remove the panel infront of it (from the boot) for easier access, want to give it a shot but don't want the motor to be mounted to it and have something fall through.
    dstocks
    National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

When I say the air conditioning, I dont mean the bit that keeps the car cold. From memory, im pretty sure its one of the little motors that adjust the flaps and things that control the recirc and other functions of the climate control. Easy way to find out. Remove the electric connectors one at a time from the servo units on the heater controls.When it stops ticking, youve found your culprit.

Ive got a spare antenna motor as well if required.

Ive removed them before:

1. remove plastic plugs that hold the boot lining in and take out the passengers side lining.

2. There is 1 nut hholding the antenna unit in on the inside of the boot. Remove this.

3. You need to unscrew the silver bit on the outside of the car that sits on the duco (yes, its on a thread).

4. Normally you could then pull the unit downwards until you can extract the unit through the inside of the boot. This will be a problem though as your aerial is up. I dont believe youll be able to get it out in that condition. You may need to forceitdown to get it out.

I have heard of them dying before, so you wouldnt be alone. Willsell the one I have on the shelf for $60 + postage if you need it.
    Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
      If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
      Astron_Boy
      Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

It was Gholdy who also had that noise.
      Was at last years Bonfire where we heard it, and I think he fixed it...
      Hadi

Post by Hadi »

perfect, I will check the antenna out tomorrow now I am keen to find the source of that ticking, ill go give it a shot, thanks.
      Hadi

Hinge!

Post by Hadi »

Have been getting some guidance from akys in regards to the clicking noise.

I removed the source of the sound, but couldn't figure out how to get it open. There are the 6 or 7 plastic clips on the side, have undone them all, but am left with this hinge (i think) in the middle.

How can I open this black box? without ruining it.

Could someone give me some tips on how to get it open (presumably by removing this hinge) and then how will this hinge go back together? Thanks

would rather no guess work though :)
      Supplanter
      Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

Another reason that the aerial is stuck might be because it isn't plugged in properly (or at all) into the head unit.
      LED ALL the things.
      Sahin
      HULK

Post by Sahin »

COTY!!!! :D