Internet Issues

Anything off topic that you want to share with the group. (warning this board may include coarse language)

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Daniel2019
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Internet Issues

Post by Daniel2019 »

Figured theres a bunch of IT guys on here so might find a good answer...

Ok so my internet works fast and well on my desktop PC, my laptop, iphone (dont worry Im changing to a galaxy S2 on the weekend!) BUT it doesnt work properly on my PS3.

It constantly cuts out, gets bad connection, fluctuates etc. Internet speed fluctuates often from as low as 1mb/s download up to 15mb/s.

My NAT is not the issue (At least I dont think it is - it is usually either moderate or open)

I dont think its the channel that I am using (we dont have many other wireless connections around + I have tried several unused channels in my router settings.

My guess is that its the security type, but Im not sure which one to be using. WEP does not work at all (doesnt give wireless signal, only wired?)
The PS3 seems to have awesome connection when I have no security on my network (although theres no way Im running my network without at least some sort of security to it). I am not worried about the level of security that the type gives me (as I know all my neighbours, half of them are too old for internet) I am only worried about speeds to my PS3 (as everything else works fine 99% of the time)
What should I be using? -

WPA-PSK (TKIP)
WPA2-PSK (AES) or
WPA-PSK (TKIP) + WPA2-PSK (AES)

Also - my PS3 is right next to my desktop. It is literally about 4 metres from my router (Netgear DGN2200). We are running iPrimus (they suck) ADSL+2 with about 500gb usage. We arent capped (over download quota). ALL our connected devices are wireless.
(Keeping in mind that im a n00b when it comes to internet and wireless networks and such.. if I have explained something badly or sound like a complete spastic, go easy :lol:)
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Re: Internet Issues

Post by Vectose »

Best option would be to go wired if you are that close.

There doesn't have to be other wireless devices to cause interference. Anything that emits radio frequencies can cause interference.
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Vectose wrote:Best option would be to go wired if you are that close.

There doesn't have to be other wireless devices to cause interference. Anything that emits radio frequencies can cause interference.
If I could do that I would, but unfortunately I cant.

Our router is on our kitchen table and my bedroom is directly opposite, across the hallway.

We cant really run a wire across the hall :(
I fix cars.
kiz
SA Coordinator

Post by kiz »

There are two types of people on forums; those that give helpful advice, and the others

1998 Mitsubishi FTO GPVR AERO ;)
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Hahahah!

Yeah, we do that all the time.
I fix cars.
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

Firstly, I'd try update the firmware on your Router, see if that fixes the issue. If that fails, your best bet is to get a new Wireless router. On cheaper routers I always run into issues especially with authentication, which is what you're having.

Invest in something such as the Asus RT-N65U router + a TP-Link 8817 for the modem.
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

I would also try running with a wired connection for a bit to see if the issue is actually with your WiFi.

If you are looking for a all in one modem/router I would go with a Billion or if you want something more user friendly a FritzBox
Bennoz wrote:
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Can you share your internet direct from PC with your PS3 and run a network cable from PC to PS3.
I get great speed to my PS3 but I have a full wired Giga-network. I have to turn off my firewall to allow my PS3 through though.
So my decision has to be browsing on the PC or playing online with PS3.
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

Does your router support UPnP Phil?
Bennoz wrote:
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

-Nighthawk- wrote:Firstly, I'd try update the firmware on your Router, see if that fixes the issue. If that fails, your best bet is to get a new Wireless router. On cheaper routers I always run into issues especially with authentication, which is what you're having.

Invest in something such as the Asus RT-N65U router + a TP-Link 8817 for the modem.
I updated the firmware earlier tonight, so that's not the issue.

If its a bad router and modem, how is it running well on all my devices and why is it only lately that its not working with the PS3? (Cant think of a different way to word that - Im not being a prick, theyre legitimate questions :lol:) Previously it has been fine, and I used to get good speeds with the PS3. Every couple of months though, the PS3 will have bad connection for a few days or weeks and it just kinda seems to sort itself out after a while.
PHIL069 wrote:Can you share your internet direct from PC with your PS3 and run a network cable from PC to PS3.
I get great speed to my PS3 but I have a full wired Giga-network. I have to turn off my firewall to allow my PS3 through though.
Thats a good idea :idea: What do I need to do to run it through the PC? What cable should I be using? An ethernet cable?
Vectose wrote:I would also try running with a wired connection for a bit to see if the issue is actually with your WiFi.

If you are looking for a all in one modem/router I would go with a Billion or if you want something more user friendly a FritzBox
Thats also an idea. But I dont understand why my PC and laptop work fine but the PS3 doesnt?

All in one modem + router is what I would be looking for. Although the one we have now is supposed to be pretty decent. It is also long ranged - which we need, because my brother's room is above the garage and through a few walls. He gets decent connection and is probably up to 25-30m away and through 4 or so walls.
I fix cars.
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

Does your router support UPnP and is it enabled? If not have you forwarded the required ports for the PS3. Another option is what Phil does and disable the routers firewall when playing the PS3
Bennoz wrote:
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Vectose wrote:Does your router support UPnP and is it enabled? If not have you forwarded the required ports for the PS3. Another option is what Phil does and disable the routers firewall when playing the PS3
It does support UPnP and its enabled. I dont really want to have to log into the router and disable the firewall everytime I want to play the PS3 online. Surely there is another way?
I fix cars.
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

Well if it's got UPnP there's no need to do anything as the PS3 will automatically open the required ports.
Bennoz wrote:
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Daniel2019 wrote:
PHIL069 wrote:Can you share your internet direct from PC with your PS3 and run a network cable from PC to PS3.
Thats a good idea :idea: What do I need to do to run it through the PC? What cable should I be using? An ethernet cable?
Well I don't use WIFI but I will tell you how I do it using my wireless broadband (which is plugged into my PC's USB).

On PC go "Network", "Network and Sharing Center", "Manage network connections", right click on my internet connection and "properties", "Sharing" tab, tick "Allow other network uses to connect...." and specify your home networking connection (PC's network card) "Local Area Connection".

Run the ethernet cable from PC to PS3.

On PS3 go "Network", "test network connections"
Last edited by PHIL069 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Could it be because I am running a dynamic IP address? Is the PS3 not compatible with certain security types?
I fix cars.
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

Another way to share the internet connection is to go into "Network Connections" highlight your WiFi adapter and your Ethernet port, right click and press "Bridge Connections"
Bennoz wrote:
Shhtuart
Forum Moderator

Post by Shhtuart »

Daniel2019 wrote:Could it be because I am running a dynamic IP address? Is the PS3 not compatible with certain security types?
It shouldn't make a difference and the PS3 is compatable with all types of encryption.

Disable media server connection. My mate had similar issues and that fixed it.
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Open up the appropriate TCP AND UDP ports on your router..
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Daniel2019 wrote:Keeping in mind that im a n00b when it comes to internet and wireless networks and such
silverGPX wrote:Open up the appropriate TCP AND UDP ports on your router..

:facepalm:
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

Taz wrote:
Daniel2019 wrote:Keeping in mind that im a n00b when it comes to internet and wireless networks and such
silverGPX wrote:Open up the appropriate TCP AND UDP ports on your router..

:facepalm:
There's also the fact that his router supports UPnP, so he does not have open any ports as the PS3 will open them automatically.

:facepalm2: :facepalm2:
Bennoz wrote: