bonnet vents

Cruises, Meeting's and State Specific Information

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

debbie
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

bonnet vents

Post by debbie »

has anyone in adelaide had vents put in there bonnet? i was inquiring the other day and have found one place who does it but was wondering if there was anywhere else!
barfy
Mechanic

Post by barfy »

have thought about it but never looked into it ... How did you find that did it ?
debbie
Grease Monkey

Post by debbie »

jetspeed in salisbury, they couldnt give me a price coz i didnt have a pic. this is what i want done http://users.ncable.net.au/~mikey168/FTO/sam_FTO.jpg
let me know what u think! :)
Slither
Mechanic

Post by Slither »

thats probably a real car, but does it look like a model on a pavement to anyone else??? 8O

They're interestin vents, looks kinda like a turbo bonnet, the scoop for air intake to a top mounted intercooler and the 2 side vents for hot air to exit
barfy
Mechanic

Post by barfy »

yeah i know what u mean slither, it looks to rounded at either end ... Looks as though its been squashed at both ends or something. All i know is something isnt right with that picture
debbie
Grease Monkey

Post by debbie »

so anyway the bonnet looks good huh?
twistea
Grease Monkey

Post by twistea »

hmmm, i dont think it looks good at all.

but regardless you should choosing on what you think looks good and not other people :roll:
debbie
Grease Monkey

Post by debbie »

so what do u plan on doing to your bonnet?
Daz_FTO
Grease Monkey

Post by Daz_FTO »

there is nothing wrong with mine...

If you want yours changed have you thought about getting a carbon fibre one?? I think UAS were working on one. Probably wouldnt set you back much more and at least you would still have the standard bonnet untouched.
debbie
Grease Monkey

Post by debbie »

personally i dont really like the look of the carbon fibre ones. thanks daz
EXC
Apprentice

Post by EXC »

hey i found a place that will do it but heres a few warnings i was given........

1 it may weaken your bonnet.
2 even if done properly you are still facing risk of defect.

I had a look through a police officers friend of mine book about road regulations and vehicle modifications (and yes it is defectable)

I know what I want and a place to do it, I have your email address I will email you the details.

but yeah as I was warned have another stock fto bonnet for those tough defect times in summer. or you wont be able to go near the bay or town.

I have a bonnet I am getting made up but it will be for show only. cops are just getting WAY too annoying :(
Darith
Apprentice

Post by Darith »

HI

I gotta carbon fibre bonnet from UAS, on sunday morning cops pulled me over for breath test, to get to me they had to pull a full u-turn to get to me, but anyways the done there business and i left without no sticker.

My heart was pounding i gotta full kit, very low one cop has checking out my car, the other i was talking to, i though i was gone. the cops were pretty cool.
Slither
Mechanic

Post by Slither »

Sounds like u got lucky....this time!!

What state r u from?
cause i know that in melbourne not only is it illegal without an engineering cert. more to the point it is unroadworhty!! Also insurance companies don't like to insure them!!
debbie
Grease Monkey

Post by debbie »

how hard is it to get an engineers certificate?
Slither
Mechanic

Post by Slither »

Not actually sure, as i've never got one but i belive they r quite pricey, in fact your looking at about $500 just to have a guy look at it, but basically they have to sign that everything is ok about it, and if anything goes wrong then it's their ass so they would have to b pretty thoughour and ill bet they aint cheap!!
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

I'm guessing here, so I could be wrong, but as the bonnet makes up part of a cars crumple zone that for an engineer to provide a certificate they may need to destroy a couple to test how well they maintain the crumple zones.

My guess is that they would fail. :(

Aside from the legal issues, you may have some unpleasant insurance issues if the bonnet is seen to have increased the damage occured in a crash (i.e. decreased the effectiveness of crumple zones).
MIVEC is My Friend :D