Not Another Intake Thread

Anything off topic that you want to share with the group. (warning this board may include coarse language)

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

bjk
Totes
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Not Another Intake Thread

Post by bjk »

My apologies, but I need some advice. I did do some searching.

I've got an AEM pod filter thing from my previous car, and am wondering whether it's worth adapting to fit the stock FTO pipes or just wait and get a proper CAI done. The pod itself is too long to fit inside the stock airbox, so is it going to make any difference given that I'll have to remove the whole airbox, and have the pod sucking air from everywhere?

I'm not concerned if it gives me any more power, just whether it's going to be worse than what's already there. Pic of pod for reference.

POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Re: Not Another Intake Thread

Post by Astron_Boy »

If you don't want more power then why put it on?
And besides it won't do anything except make your hektic friends go "Bro"
Whilst the cops go "Busted"

Just stick to stock....

If you have the pod sucking in hot air then you are simply hindering it, and not providing any benefit over Mitsus researched intake.
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Astron_Boy wrote:If you don't want more power then why put it on?

Just stick to stock....

If you have the pod sucking in hot air then you are simply hindering it, and not providing any benefit over Mitsus researched intake.
But I don't have any hektic friends. :(

That was pretty much the answer I was looking for. I think I did say to myself that I wasn't spending any more money on the car than I had to anyway. :lol:
Image Image Image Image
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

I have an un-boxed pod in mine... It is hanging off the ARC intake.

While it has given some power mods on the Dyno (bear in mind on a dyno you have a kick arse fan blowing cold air) I have not really noticed too much difference with it off.

It is in Long's car at the moment (95 tip) and he could feel the pulling power. But this was a whole intake system ... :D
I just had to add it ......
sublime19 wrote:Lol clearly you don't know me well enough, it was a joke :roll:
I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
Astron_Boy wrote:Hold me Sooty, I need man comfort.
:utbnb:
bass_twitch
Oldtimer

Post by bass_twitch »

Astron_Boy wrote:If you don't want more power then why put it on?

Just stick to stock....

But they sound soo cool :D
Don't think any fto owner can deny that
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

update: I have managed to fit the pod in the stock box.

question. How tight does the pod need to be in the box, where it connects into the pipe? There's not a lot of space for it to move around in the box anyway, and the air would just be going from the filter into the air pipes, so does it matter if the connection between the pod and the rubber connecter hose thing I have on the end of the pod is loose?
Image Image Image Image
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

bjk wrote:But I don't have any hektic friends. :(
lol, nice response.

And if you mean the inlet connection is loose, then that's not good, it will simply suck in unfiltered air as it's the path of least resistance.

Ours has an HKS pod, but we bought it that way with no airbox, so... not bothering to buy the part.
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Astron_Boy wrote:And if you mean the inlet connection is loose, then that's not good, it will simply suck in unfiltered air as it's the path of least resistance.
Even if it's a few mm? Problem is I can't see inside the airbox, but there's at least that much space when I'm holding it. :|
Image Image Image Image
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

if the filter can move independently (spun, pulled off, etc) then it is not good.
You need a tight seal.
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Astron_Boy wrote:if the filter can move independently (spun, pulled off, etc) then it is not good.
You need a tight seal.
What if between the end of the pod and the top inlet part of the box has a gap, but on the inside of the pipe, I have a rubber connection which I think goes far back enough and is wide enough to fit snug?

ed; and as much so that when I pull the pod out of the pipe that bit clings to it.