Turbo FTO MIVEC or No MIVEC?

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Would you consider a Turbo Conversion?

Poll ended at Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:34 pm

Yes
84%
No
16%

Total votes: 19

Kittz
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Turbo FTO MIVEC or No MIVEC?

Post by Kittz »

I am selling my Lexus Soarer to get a FTO and hopefully have a fair bit left over to mod up the FTO. I am planning on doing a Turbo Conversion to it, but i heard its harder to do a turbo onto the Mivec because of the compression rate? Any Info?

I know there has been a few FTO's with turbo conversions done, any extra infomation will help heaps...how much extra power does it gain any dyno readings? Thanks 8O

I will keep yous posted on how i go... Cheers :lol:
Also... Canary Yello Lexus Soarer Twin Turbo 123000kms Bodykit, Rays Volk 17" wheels, Automatic, Stock engine, pictures upon request...asking $22000 need funds for my FTO :lol:
fto12345
Mechanic

Post by fto12345 »

I guess it all depends on how much....

Although I think there are plenty of people that are turbo charging the FTO no matter what....
:D

I think with turbo, FTO would be the sweetest car for this decade I think!

It just needs more power!
:roll:
Kittz
Apprentice

Post by Kittz »

Yeah... I think that awsell if they have a bolt on turbo kit it would be so much easier, just imagine the faces of supra and skyline drivers when you beat them in a Turbo FTO hahaha...

Can anyone who has done a conversion tell me how much extra power they gained at the wheels?

Thanks
TimmyD
Mechanic

Post by TimmyD »

Kittz wrote:Yeah... I think that awsell if they have a bolt on turbo kit it would be so much easier, just imagine the faces of supra and skyline drivers when you beat them in a Turbo FTO hahaha...

Can anyone who has done a conversion tell me how much extra power they gained at the wheels?

Thanks
well FTO's w/o the turbo are running mid 15's (average) on the 1/4 mile.
with a turbo there running mid to low 13's on average.

altho i'd like to see mikey's time after he runs his, due to his is the latest FTO being turbo'd.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Kittz wrote:Yeah... I think that awsell if they have a bolt on turbo kit it would be so much easier, just imagine the faces of supra and skyline drivers when you beat them in a Turbo FTO hahaha...

Thanks
There isn't a bolt on turbo kit for FTO, & a custom job would set you back around $10-$12k.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
RallyMad
Oldtimer

Re: Turbo FTO MIVEC or No MIVEC?

Post by RallyMad »

Kittz wrote: I am planning on doing a Turbo Conversion to it, but i heard its harder to do a turbo onto the Mivec because of the compression rate? Any Info?
I would think that using the GR you might get away with using a little more boost because of the lower compression then the GPX. I wouldn't say it would be harder to turbo one over the other though. But I don't know.
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

the non-mivec and mivec engines share compression ratios (10:1)
the only difference is the varible timed cams.
one thign to consider if going with a turbo is the transmission too, the manual does provide a lot more space, but fwd's beeing fwd they like to torque steer, and an auto would be good under high boost, to make sure you got both hands on the wheel.
If you really want a turbo car I really suggest you buy a factory turbo car.
If you want a car with great all round performance, great handling, sporty looks, feel, and sounds. Go for a Mivec Manual
RallyMad
Oldtimer

Post by RallyMad »

G_A_V wrote:the non-mivec and mivec engines share compression ratios (10:1)
the only difference is the varible timed cams.
Right, thanks GAV. DOn't ask me where I got it that the GR and GPX had different compression ratios, whoops, :oops: :roll: :lol: