silverGPXs Ride

A place for members to show off their pride & joys.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

silverGPX
9.5"
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: silverGPXs Ride

Post by silverGPX »

Got a good deal on tint $240 for strip of old and fitting of darkest legal
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

Nice! I've been meaning to get tints at some stage...
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Got the new rear swaybar brackets in. holy cow the difference between having no rear swaybar and having an uprated one is amazing.
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Sahin fixed my custom exhaust brqcket5
destinationtoby
Broke it

Post by destinationtoby »

silverGPX wrote:Got the new rear swaybar brackets in. holy cow the difference between having no rear swaybar and having an uprated one is amazing.
Did u know when and how u snapped it? I think I was driving around for a fair while with the brackets broken :lol: once the new ones went in, 'twas like driving something completely different
Because nothing is faster than a p plater in a commodore.....
except maybe a p plater on a unicorn
FTOcrazy273 wrote: Destinationtoby probably has one of THE best FTO's on the forum I never get tired of looking at his pics! Good work mate!
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

plugged a hole in my rear rubber.
Sahin
HULK

Post by Sahin »

Wut
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

:cheeky:
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

So next plan on the agenda after this window tint business is to refresh the front end. :D

I've replaced the bushes/droplinks/swaybar/wheelbearings however I’m looking more at the mechanical side this time! 8O
Looking into Reconditioning the Driveshafts/CV’s – Steering Rack/Rack Ends/Tie Rod Ends/Braided Steering Lines/ – Engine Mounts

Steering Rack

I currently have a steering rack that I can send away to get reconditioned but i'm a tad unsure of what they do with it? Do they fully pull it apart and add new rack ends and then tie rod ends complete with boots? Or do I have to supply these? I’ll also have to get some new lines made up as mine are leaking, would braided ones be a suitable upgrade if they have an oem set to copy?

Also what are your thoughts on this to upgrade the stock cooler pipe - cos track car! :lol: :D
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Derale-Power ... 0762353442

Driveshafts

Can anyone help me out with spare driveshafts and CV's :!: Since i've sold my daily I have to have the parts ready to go in :x . Is there a quick way to see which shafts I have without pulling them out? I have a set of verniers to check thickness if that helps?

Engine Mounts

Unfortunately with the engine mounts ill need to replace all 4 of them :( , they’re absolutely fucked :( , im getting the most annoying axle tramp as well on the drag strip .Has everyone been having success with Amayama :?: Do all of them come with the casing or is it just the bottom two and I need to get the tops pressed out? If so does anyone have a spare set of Manual top mounts I could use to press new ones into?
Anyone got part numbers? *cringe*

Yeah that Wall-o-Text Sorry :?
Sahin
HULK

Post by Sahin »

Yeah I dunno who would have all of them spares...........
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

U dont have shafts! Or engine mounts lel
Sahin
HULK

Post by Sahin »

Conner dickhead
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Nahh
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

There's a whole lot more to a steering rack reco than just tie rods & boots. There's a shitload of internal seals they replace. Yes they'll replace the boots & tie rod end if they need it.

Don't f**k around with a cooler unless you absolutely need it. As per above, all those seals they replace, the line pressure of PS fluid heading into the rack is upwards of 1000psi. You're just asking for more failure points with a dodgy ebay cooler. Same goes for lines, go OEM. Dodgy ebay braided lines are bound to give you trouble. It's too important a part to dick around with.

CV's are one eBay item you can use. They're only $39 bucks a pop. If you get second hand shafts, a driveshaft joint will reco the inner joint & fit a new bearing set, then you can replace the outers yourself with the eBay jobbies. They come with boots, ties & grease.

Yes, you can pop out the driver side shaft with relative ease (with a big screw driver once the hub has been disconnected from the shock.)

Just slide it out enough to get a measurement (ie about half an inch) then whack it back in without getting a mouthful of gearbox oil. If you've got a single spinner full limo diff (sick skids brah) then I'd wager a 50 they'll be equal length 27 spliners (28.5mm shaft dia.)
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Okay point taken about not f**king with the steering rack lines.

Shanes cooler already seeps out a bit at the joints which is pissing me off. im gonna have to get new fittings for it already.

I think i can source two driveshafts, im pretty sure its just the plain jane gearbox, so not gonna bother popping it out till i done it.

The other Matt Taylor has helped me out with sourcing local rack and drive shaft reco places. These lancer blokes are very knowledgable in FTOs! lol

And Toby has helped me source the bottom engine mounts lol
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Yeah my oil cooler leaks too. Didn't hit the threads up with enough 3M grey sealant I reckon. Need moar goo.
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Bennoz wrote:Yeah my oil cooler leaks too. Didn't hit the threads up with enough 3M grey sealant I reckon. Need moar goo.
Didnt use any! probably why hah, oil change soon will do then.
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Painting calipers at rhe DIY Day. Just wondering how do I get a Mint Coloured high temp paint?
destinationtoby
Broke it

Post by destinationtoby »

silverGPX wrote:Painting calipers at rhe DIY Day. Just wondering how do I get a Mint Coloured high temp paint?

What's wrong with the dupli color, this stuff http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online ... 0407#Cross. .?
Has worked fine for me
Because nothing is faster than a p plater in a commodore.....
except maybe a p plater on a unicorn
FTOcrazy273 wrote: Destinationtoby probably has one of THE best FTO's on the forum I never get tired of looking at his pics! Good work mate!
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Thats what im using now but I keep scratching it LOL. after a solid mint colour lol. Dar colours aight but