Aftermarket Alternator for Facelift Non-Mivec 6A12

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Muster Krux
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Aftermarket Alternator for Facelift Non-Mivec 6A12

Post by Muster Krux »

G'day guys,

My Alternator has crapped out and I'm trying to source a reasonably priced replacement. Going to the big-boys has resulted in quotes in excess of $500 a unit. Now, that's just silly, I'm sure there's a cheaper option out there if we shop around.

For example, we know that the Facelift non-MIVEC (GX) FTO used the 6A12 engine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_6A1_engine#6A12

If I shop around for Galant Alternators for 2.0L engines. I can get stuff like this coming up: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALTERNATOR-MITS ... 9f&vxp=mtr

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 267574.htm

So, the question is: Has anyone else had this come up and did you find a solid, working solution to buying a well priced aftermarket alternator that suits your 2-pin 6A12 engine *and* fits into that horrid space next to the wheel well?

I'm pretty sure the PNC is 14200A and the Part Number is MD336781, what are our tolerances for picking alternators outside of the OEM part?

Thanks for your help!
spetz
Oldtimer

Re: Aftermarket Alternator for Facelift Non-Mivec 6A12

Post by spetz »

The Galant alternator you're looking at is for a 2.0L 4 cylinder version, not the V6 and hence is not suitable.

Camskill do a reconditioned alternator for the facelifted models:
http://www.camskill.co.uk/m3b0s9p63712/ ... DE3A%29%0A

It is quite expensive, especially taking into account shipping and return shipping for your old alternator, which makes this an unfeasible option.
Though this means your alternator can be reconditioned, and maybe a local auto electrician could do it for you?
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

The non Mivec alternator is common as sh*t, take it to an auto elec they will have no issues rebuilding or you can get recos.
Dras
Mechanic

Post by Dras »

I have one.

I bought it new (not remanufactured or reconditioned but properly new) in December 09, probably has around 10,000 km on it. The only reason that I have removed it is due to my Mivec conversion.

It has an under driven pulley on it, meaning it is less of a load (resulting in more power going to the wheels) but as a result, it produces less power at low rpm. I never had any problems with it, even with my big sub cranked but if you don't like the idea of an under driven pulley, you can use the pulley from your existing alternator. Just make a decision before installing it as they are a pain to swap out.

I am after $110 + postage
Me? Bitter? f**k no. I think it's hilarious.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

I might have one floating around as well. Would have done a few kays thou...
Muster Krux

Post by Muster Krux »

Jesus, guys that's quick off the mark. Thanks for the quick replies!

Spetz: Thanks for the heads up on the Galant alternator. This is exactly what I'm looking for, advice on which aftermarkets will fit and which ones don't. They don't seem to advertise the specs I need to make this decision. I can get reconned alternators, sure, just that it looks like the cost of labor around these parts is almost double what I'd pay for a brand new aftermarket if I shop around.

Payaya: Cheers mate, yeah, I've got a few sparkies who have told me they can recon it but, as above, the cost seems outrageous. I dunno how common they are around your haunts but it's a struggle to get one here in the ACT for less than an arm and a leg.

Dras: I might just take you up on that offer, mate. My ICE is stock, so it doesn't pull much juice and I run a GPS but that's not going to draw too much either. I'm pretty happy with $110 + Postage, let me know what you reckon postage will be from Castle Hill to Canberra (2906 to be precise), I'll wire the full amount across once you work it out and PM me your bank details.

Bennoz: As above, mate, thanks for the offer. Let me know how many K's and how much but it sounds like Dras has me covered.

Even if I buy Dras's Alternator, I'm still keen to hear if anyone has sourced a cheap aftermarket Altie that fits and works.

-Love you guys.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Who in the ACT did you ask for reconditioning it?
Muster Krux

Post by Muster Krux »

Mick's, Gas Tune, a few of the big-brand guys.

Labor costs were in line with this sort of work (130 an hour or so) but the cost of a recon altie if they supplied it was $300+ (so, $650 to 800 total). I've got someone from Intune who'll do the installation for $200 if I supply the device.

Hell, I'd do the installation myself if the alternator wasn't located in such a god-awful location.

Ahh well, this is the price we pay for driving imports, huh?
fraz91
Hair-do

Post by fraz91 »

Muster Krux wrote:Mick's, Gas Tune, a few of the big-brand guys.

Labor costs were in line with this sort of work (130 an hour or so) but the cost of a recon altie if they supplied it was $300+ (so, $650 to 800 total). I've got someone from Intune who'll do the installation for $200 if I supply the device.

Hell, I'd do the installation myself if the alternator wasn't located in such a god-awful location.

Ahh well, this is the price we pay for driving imports, huh?
Install for $200?

Be ready for that to jump, as they're an absolute prick to swap out. :lol:
I'll have an FTO one day... i swear!

until then:
1. 2001 Merc-Benz A160 (porta-loo on wheels)
2. 2007 Peugeot 307 TDi (more fun than you'd expect)
3. [url=ttp://ftoaustralia.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=25373]2009 Mitsubishi Triton Di-D (a monster in its own right)[/url]
4. 1992 Nissan NX Coupe (club car and project car)
5. 1996 Holden SB Barina - "The Nugget"
6. 1996 Jeep XJ Cherokee Sport - The Budget Build
7. 2010 Toyota Landcruiser 76 Series - V8 Goodness... - Build coming soon.
8. 1990 Audi 90 manual - The delightfully dignified daily driver
Astron_Boy wrote:No correction needed Gen Y, you are correct.
Bennoz wrote:My rubbing happens on the inside.
Muster Krux

Post by Muster Krux »

Yeah, I know they're a bitch. That's why I'm getting some other poor bastard to do it. :)
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Intune is who swapped my alternator.
They told me the driveshaft had to come out so they charged me for gearbox oil and all.

Does Intune have their own workshop now? As before it was just a backyard affair
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

max hr job. is easier to remove hub from drive shaft put not from g/box bit of a squeeze but it comes out eventually $200 is bout spot on factoring in any issues
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

I paid $280 for a reco and install.