Dyno Dynamics

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

ruchi
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by ruchi »

You'll get the most benefit from a dyno when using it as a tuning tool and to do a comparison for any mods etc.

The key thing is to keep a record of the settings so if you ever go back you can set the dyno up the same way, only then can you compare apples-to-apples.

The dyno run is normally done one gear down from the highest (i.e. 4th for a 5sp manual or 5sp tip or 3rd for a 4sp tip), however the speed limiter will kick in before the car has a chance to go through the entire rev range, in most cases it kicks in before the peak power is reached. So if you can, get two runs and two graphs done, the first with the gear one down from the highest and the second with the gear two down from the highest (i.e. 3rd for a 5sp or 2nd for a 4sp). This second graph will then show you the entire rev-range all the way to the rev-limiter and will include the peak power point of the MIVEC engine.
MIVEC is My Friend :D
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

AJ,
you car shouldn't be too loud yet...

basically you should look at it as a baseline for all future mods you make... the MIVEC can't really be tuned on the dyno without an aftermarket computer of some kind.

Keep in mind that you should use the same dyno (in the same workshop) for testing all mods its the only way to work out what sort of gains you get from mods...

where are you going?
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

AJR wrote:
I'm just curious to see what its got at the mo, then that will kick my arse to get some more mods done :twisted: . So they won't be able to tweek anything? Is that what you saying?

correct...

if they say they can then you don't want to go there.
Black_FTOGPX
Mechanic

Post by Black_FTOGPX »

Even if you had a tuneable computer, if you haven’t had any mods done.

You would be lucky to “tweakâ€
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

A computer will offer little benefit unless you have other modifications done. The most essential are intake, followed by exhaust, and then moving along to the likes of upgraded injectors or a turbo.

As with most modern cars, the FTO is highly tuned and provides a near optimal response across the entire rev-range. If you wish to tweak the car further you'll need to be very clear about what you wish to achieve and must also be prepared to possibly suffer some performance loss across other areas - i.e. it is far harder to improve the performance across the entire rev-range than it is to improve it at the high-end to the detriment of the low-end (or vice versa).
MIVEC is My Friend :D
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

i'm working with an australian company to build an aftermarket computer for the FTO at the moment, this will be specifically designed for the FTO and MIVEC, with minimal drivability loss - this will be an entry level computer

if you want something fully programable with the works, i recommend talking to Unique about a Microtech...probably cost you around 2000-2500 by the time its installed and tuned...
barfy
Mechanic

Post by barfy »

Hey Ruchi,

Can u feel me in on upgrading injectors .... Ive done most of the performance upgrades, exhaust, CAI kit, so i think my next step maybe injectors ?

So tell me what the benefits are and how much this would cost etc

Cheers mate
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

For the mod that you have done already, upgrading injectors won't give you any performance gain what so ever.

Unless you start to mod the engine internally or turbo charge it, then you should look into upgrading your injectors. What it does is to give you more fuel as highly tuned N/A & turbo car needed.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
barfy
Mechanic

Post by barfy »

f**k it Im going call exc, who got her FTO turboed here in SA and find out where she did it and how much it costed and look into turboing mine :twisted:
Slither
Mechanic

Post by Slither »

why don't ya hook up some NOS while your at it :twisted:
barfy
Mechanic

Post by barfy »

i was wondering about nos, ive seen kits for around 700 to 900 bucks but what mods would u need to do for the engine to be able to handle the boost of nos ??
Slither
Mechanic

Post by Slither »

Depends on what boost u want to run it at, and for how long! but remember NOS is only for short burts of boost, its not constant and it would get costly to b usin it all the time, besides which when would u use it??

don't forget though that its illegal to have it in your car, im sure your insurance company wouldnt pay ya if u had an accident with it installed
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

My opinion of NOS if you got standard internal are;

Dry NOS = Kill your engine in a very short time.

Wet NOS = Kill your engine over a period of time.

Unless you upgraded everything internally to super strength, then its a different story. People think NOS is fantastic after watching Fast & The Furious, but they don't realize, even those car are base on real world modification, each one had at least $100K Aus spend on it, thax to Holloywood budget.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

AJ,
you comign on the weekend... we'll have a chat...