Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

bigjiz
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

oil leaks

Post by bigjiz »

Hey all,
Before everyone rips my head off going on about let me Google that for u! (as I'm use to boostcruising) I just joined today and I know nothing about fto's . I picked up a mivec fto gpx the other day cheap! I knew it had a few problems but the worse one is the oil leak, I jumped on Google and by the looks of it, its a common problem with the mivecs. I used 1 million cans of degreaser and high pressure the sh!t out of it to find where its coming from. On the back of the front bank the are 2 black round looking things possibly something to do with the cams , under them is a black gasket with 2 half circle that's where its leaking from. Can anyone confirm if this is these half moon cam seals that everyone talk about? And how much roughly it will cost to get fixed?
kiz
SA Coordinator

Re: oil leaks

Post by kiz »

Sounds like your rocker cover gaskets mate. Try doing a search for prices on the forum as I know it has been brought up in discussion several time this year already. Cheers
There are two types of people on forums; those that give helpful advice, and the others

1998 Mitsubishi FTO GPVR AERO ;)
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Hi there WTTC
Yes those are the half moon seals. Pending whether you do them yourself or not it could be cheap or a few hundred bucks if parts are sourced yourself.

You can get parts from here
http://www.amayama.com/
http://www.camskill.co.uk/

And find the part number here
http://www.completefto.com.au/CompleteFTO.asp?aid=1
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Sounds like the half moon seals to me. Im sure someone willjump in and give you a time/cost estimate or both.

Dont think you are likely to get an exact answer to your question via forum search, so you are reasonably safe from flack... ;) We are a bit more relaxed than most...

Welcome to the club by the way. Chuck up a picture when you have a chance.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    Supplanter
    Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

Boost Cruising, hey. :(D):

Apart from that, hi.
    LED ALL the things.
    bigjiz
    Apprentice

Post by bigjiz »

Gee u guys are awesome, I'm not use to people being nice lol. I know its not the rocker cover gaskets its more like them half moon ones. Just off Google I'm a little nervous doing them myself because it reckons if I use to much gasket sealent it might block oil galleries or to little and it will just start leaking again an f#@k my donk! Is there a how to guide on here for this job, as it needs to be done asap, I've only had it for a few days and my drive way already wants to burn the car to the ground!
    Taz
    Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Where abouts are you located? You might get lucky and have a forum member local and kind enough to come out and give you a hand :D
    bigjiz
    Apprentice

Post by bigjiz »

Yeah I will throw up a few pics tomorrow as I do night shift :(
    But other than the oil leaks and the struts are rooted (easy fix with coilovers) it drives nice, goes well for a non turbo car. I've never owned or driven one before but I can see myself spending a bit on it to get more out of it :)
    Taz
    Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Alternatively to coilovers a popular choice is KYB excel gas shocks and lowered king springs
    Where abouts are you?
    bigjiz
    Apprentice

Post by bigjiz »

I'm located in coomera, in behind dreamworld
    Taz
    Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Another QLD member :cheers:

Im in brisbane and would gladly offer to do it for you but im planning on a big easter weekend and should be working 6am-10pm thu-mon :lol:
    If you dont have it fixed after that ill be glad to lend a hand if you can make it to Wynnum (southside)
    bigjiz
    Apprentice

Post by bigjiz »

I forgot that easter is this weekend, but I would love a hand with it :) if u want I can pm u my number and go from there?
    Taz
    Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Ill be booked up till about tuesday but happy to lend a hand after that if work gives me a day off haha. Shoot through a pm and ill let you know when im free :)
    destinationtoby
    Broke it

Post by destinationtoby »

Damn what are these half moon seals? Are they below the rocker cover? I thought the gasket sealed over those circle bits.
    Mine is still leaking, no where near as bad since i did the plugs and gaskt, but I'm finding it pretty hard to find exactly where from... Could it be these half moons ?
    Because nothing is faster than a p plater in a commodore.....
    except maybe a p plater on a unicorn
    FTOcrazy273 wrote: Destinationtoby probably has one of THE best FTO's on the forum I never get tired of looking at his pics! Good work mate!
    dstocks
    National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

The half moon seals themselves are cheap. About $5 each from memory. They are the same part as Lancers I think.
      If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
      Vectose
      Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

Just so you know.... to replace the half moon seals you need to remove the cam carriers, which means you also need to remove the timing belt.
      Bennoz wrote:
      Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
      A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
      yotka
      Mechanic

Post by yotka »

dstocks wrote:The half moon seals themselves are cheap. About $5 each from memory. They are the same part as Lancers I think.
      Hmm, when mine was done, was told they were from the Galants(probably from the VR).

$45/- from memory, 3 years back, in Perth.
      dstocks
      National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

You got ripped. The part numbers match a lancer as wellfrom memory. Im sure it was under $5 each.This was about 3 years ago, but was from a local Mitsubishi dealer.
        yotka
        Mechanic

Post by yotka »

It was the missing critical component needed to re-assemble my engine, so was worth it.