Food for thought

Anything off topic that you want to share with the group. (warning this board may include coarse language)

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Taz
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Food for thought

Post by Taz »

Some controversy in regards to the recent PUBLIC BRIEFING—EXAMINATION OF THE POLICE POWERS AND RESPONSIBILITIES (MOTOR VEHICLE IMPOUNDMENT) AND OTHER LEGISLATION AMENDMENT BILL
If you havent read it yet i highly recommend it - as it effects everybody in QLD, "hoon" "enthusiast" or regular motorist. Here is an excerpt in regarding statistics for the amount of cars impounded vs how many of them were "illegally modified"

Mr WATTS: Again, I just wanted to clarify the numbers you have given and this is to give some reassurance to car enthusiasts. Of 49,000-something tickets that were issued, there were 10,000 impoundments and only 23 of those were for illegal modifications?
Chief Supt Morrow: Correct.
Mr WATTS: It would seem that those figures do not bear out some of what has been suggested in the correspondence from car enthusiasts in terms of being targeted.
Chief Supt Morrow: That is what we thought. That is the conclusion we came to. They certainly were not overrepresented. I think 0.2 per cent of all vehicles seized are because of illegal modification. I guess we are at a bit of a loss to understand that particular concern from car enthusiasts.
Mr WATTS: The figures that you have given certainly do not bear that out

QPF claim only 0.2 percent of all impounded cars are illegally modified, however in the same meeting this was stated:

CHAIR: Can I add a rider to that? You mentioned illegal modifications but I did not notice in here it said `illegal' and I do not think `modification' is defined so you might help me with that as well.
Chief Supt Morrow: It is a blanket term we refer to as illegal modifications, but it is defined modifications to a vehicle. The type 2 offences describe what those modifications are. I guess we use the term `illegal modification' to refer to any modification done which makes the vehicle non-compliant for which there is not an engineering certificate issued. In other words, if anyone tampers with a vehicle in a way they are not allowed to and they do not have that vehicle inspected and passed by an engineer, we refer to those in a blanket term as `illegal modifications'.

From my understanding of this, ANY modification to a motor vehicle, regardless of whether or not it is deemed 'legal' after a certificate would of been issued is automatically deemed illegal if there is not a supporting engineers certificate.
I.e. a modification is clearly safe and legal - perhaps even common. However it has not been inspected and a certificate issued - that immediately falls under the illegal category.
This would, in turn surely make a lot more cars on the road today 'illegally modified', however the QPF still claim only 0.2% were "illegally modified" when impoundment issues were received.
This begs the question - how many of those cars were actually inspected for changes over an identical stock equivalent? How many of those modifications were overlooked because they are clearly 'legal and safe'? And how many were automatically deemed 'illegal' through lack of knowledge/ignorance (and failing to listen to the driver about the modifications to get a better judgement on them)?
It begs how much discrimination is actually going on - i.e. a stock family car with say coil-over suspension is overlooked (but still illegal without a supporting engineers certificate) because it is a family car and would generally not be inspected (For argument state it is an SUV) vs a clearly modified enthusiasts car (again for arguments sake lets say the enthusiasts car is an S13) being nailed for the same thing(s) because it is simple discrimination on the officers part, having the mind-frame that it must be illegal in some way because of profiling.

What i am trying to say - is that because of their own regulations, a LOT more cars are deemed illegal by their own standards, yet in spite of this they still only claim 0.2% were modified.
Lets face it - how many modifications made these days - however tiny - are properly inspected and certified? How can this figure be correct in spite of all these factors?
Call me crazy, but how can we - as a car enthusiast community - not get more enraged knowing that statistics provided by the QPF are most likely incorrect (and possibly on purpose) and will ultimately result in the bill being passed?
It also raises a question of what is deemed as a modification? Will they determine a cross referenced part on your car (for arguments sake - lets say aftermarket slotted rotors) a modification? If so how would someone in their right mind deem this as an 'unsafe' modification? Rightfully if this is the case, and it is deemed as a modification without a certificate - the car can go as far as being impounded for something as simple as rotors (which should rightfully be deemed as a safer modification vs stock)
and suffer the same fate as someone who clearly modifies their car in a dangerous manner - i.e. cuts their springs?
How can they rightfully place these two offences in the same basket?

To avoid writing close to a whole books worth of material and scenarios i will leave the rest of the questions and scenarios to your imagination. I just thought i should bring up some relevant material to get the mind on the correct train of thought.

I will also bring up the positive note of all of this - which is that; at least the QPF and associated parties now recognize us as a community, that we are concerned; and the most promising statement in the address; -

CHAIR: Now we are 90 days. I just need to understand what research happened to go from seven to 28 to 90 all in the space of 12 months. Is there something I do not know about? How was 90 days decided as being the deterrent to dissuade—I DO NOT LIKE THE WORD HOONING—people from committing the offences that you have designed it to reduce?
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
bjk
Totes

Re: Food for thought

Post by bjk »

What are the tickets in question being issued for? I'm assuming speeding/law breaking offences, but it's not entirely clear.

Are there standards that govern when a certificate is required? Again assuming that it has to do with the parts of the vehicle that make it function. (i.e. getting impounded for no engineering cert on your aftermarket head unit would be laughable).