Discussion of any ideas to make an 6A12 MIVEC even faster?

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

HeRo
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Discussion of any ideas to make an 6A12 MIVEC even faster?

Post by HeRo »

Hey guys,

every idea kept to the 6A12 and preferably NA

Idea 1: Bigger bore/stroke ratio

just an idea, but has anybody increased their bottom end of their 6A12 MIVEC from 2.0ltr to say 2.2 or 2.5ltrs for example? I got this idea because I know of a lot of Honda Civics which do this, popularizing it as the "Frankenstein" engine.

1. Is this possible to do?
2. Is it a lot of work and money?
3. If it's been done, what kind of gains (or losses) occurred?

Idea 2: Port and Polishing Cylinders

I know this is possible and that depending on how good and long of a job the polishing is, can range from $8k to $20 but can receive massive gains comparable to turbo

1. How much does it cost? surely it can be less than $8k
2. What experiences have you guys got with P&P in terms of gains vs costs?
3. Have you done it with an NA before?

Idea 3: twin exhausts

Might be a stupid idea but was wondering if its ever been done to have two exhausts; each connecting to 3 cylinders? The idea in my head is to allow better flow, but unless the weight of the exhaust was light i.e. titanium race exhaust and the job was cost effective, i probably wouldn't consider it either BUT

1. what IF it were done? Minimal gains?

Any feedback is appreciated

Cheers
kiz
SA Coordinator

Re: Discussion of any ideas to make an 6A12 MIVEC even faste

Post by kiz »

HeRo wrote:Discussion of any ideas to make an 6A12 MIVEC even faster?
Once again another of these sorts of threads.

My answer is;
A BOTTOMLESS WALLET :roll:
There are two types of people on forums; those that give helpful advice, and the others

1998 Mitsubishi FTO GPVR AERO ;)
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

FACEPALM
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Boring it out = 6a13

if your set on this just mate a 13bottom to a 12top, or go full 13 and keep it NA

Port and polishing, not sure what it costs over here, Jaime did it in Lima for a few k and received roughly 30 bolt on HP

Exhaust is not a restriction on the FTO if you already have headers/y pipe/hi flow cat - so a bit pointless there.

As stated, to go an NA route, you really do need a pretty fat wallet - so be prepared.
I suggest keeping stock or converting to 13tt if your heart is set on more power and the FTO, or simply buy a faster car
Hope that helps
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Actually, from what ive seen, you need an even thicker wallet to go Turbo. Talk to Bennoz or AJ...... You can do quite a bit to a NA mivec for the 10K it costs to do the turbo conversion. And if you do it right, you get to keep your reliability and fuel consumption intact. Its probably cost me 2.5K to get 133KW ATW (33% more than a stock GPX just out of factory). Would be interesting to see what youd get with another 8K.

I believe a port and polish will set you back 2K+. I cant see that the exhaust idea would net you much gain. Throttle body is another thought. Lightened flywheel, remove A/C. Remove excess weight.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    bjk
    Totes

Post by bjk »

This is a good thread for posing something I wondered about.

Would it be worthwhile, as Taz mentioned, to go an NA 6A13? Would the conversion be easier because the lack of turbo gear?

I skimmed over Valandis' thread and now I'd be scared to try the camshafts and gears. Incompetent tuners didn't help in the slightest, but still.

Thoughts?