Fto Drivers Side Locking problem

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Ftowner
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Fto Drivers Side Locking problem

Post by Ftowner »

About a month after i bought my Fto, i noticed that after locking it, i could still open the drivers side. A few days later, it started to lock properly again and i just thought nothing of it. Now here i am over a year and a bit later and it is happening again, although now it seems permanent!

I tried locking it from the inside and then shutting, tried turning the key multiple times, ignition on / off and locking. Nothing works, also when i turn the key to lock it the passenger side Locks in and makes a CLICK noise and stays in the locked position. But the drivers side makes a little noise and then clicks back a little notch and unlocks itself everytime.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so, if i am able to fix it myself or i need to purchase a certain part to fix it. Any help is much appreciated :)
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Re: Fto Drivers Side Locking problem

Post by PHIL069 »

Need to replace the drivers side central locking accuator
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

I have the same problem periodically. Sometimes it does it a few times and eventually just sorts itself out. My guess is a weak locking mechanism actuator or dirt and grime blocking it up. If it cant open properly all the way it will just go back to unlocked.

Or something... :lol:
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Spot on daniel :thumright:

Old worn ones play up more when the weather starts to turn cold and work again as the weather heats up.

You can try to clean it out and give it a lube.....but for $20-$30 for a set of 4 from JayCar you might as well change it out and have spares.
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Hooray I got something correct :cheers:
I fix cars.
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

Daniel2019 wrote:Hooray I got something correct :cheers:
There is always a first for everything 8)

:lol:
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
Ftowner
Apprentice

Post by Ftowner »

Thanks for the replies guys! Sounds like an easy fix, cheap too. Must be because of the temperature because it has got a lot colder just recently and thats when it occurred!
Ftowner
Apprentice

Post by Ftowner »

Ended up taking the whole door frame off and after a lot of troubleshooting, it was just the little actuator rod that pushes it to lock / unlock which had a bend in it. After straightening the rod, it is able to lock again!

Thanks for your help guys, Much appreciated.
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Glad it's sorted. Gives a good sense of accomplishment when fixing things actually goes right, no matter how small the job is :thumleft:
I fix cars.