3.5L TJ Magna engine

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Bennoz
National President
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: 3.5L TJ Magna engine

Post by Bennoz »

spetz wrote:Bennoz how much are you expecting to pay to get an engineers certificate?
Was quoted $900.
Daniel2019 wrote:Oh so the spacers are engineered?
Nup, I'll have to borrow some wheels for that. Might pinch the set of Rhy's Evo for the day.
fraz91
Hair-do

Post by fraz91 »

Bennoz wrote:
Nup, I'll have to borrow some wheels for that. Might pinch the set of Rhy's Evo for the day.
Maybe have a chat to Lawso? 8)
I'll have an FTO one day... i swear!

until then:
1. 2001 Merc-Benz A160 (porta-loo on wheels)
2. 2007 Peugeot 307 TDi (more fun than you'd expect)
3. [url=ttp://ftoaustralia.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=25373]2009 Mitsubishi Triton Di-D (a monster in its own right)[/url]
4. 1992 Nissan NX Coupe (club car and project car)
5. 1996 Holden SB Barina - "The Nugget"
6. 1996 Jeep XJ Cherokee Sport - The Budget Build
7. 2010 Toyota Landcruiser 76 Series - V8 Goodness... - Build coming soon.
8. 1990 Audi 90 manual - The delightfully dignified daily driver
Astron_Boy wrote:No correction needed Gen Y, you are correct.
Bennoz wrote:My rubbing happens on the inside.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

fraz91 wrote:
Bennoz wrote:
Maybe have a chat to Lawso? 8)
The tyres on those are fucked. And will be for the next :geny: amount of months :lol:
fraz91
Hair-do

Post by fraz91 »

Ehh, was just an option. :lol:

I need to get my truck engineered too, just have to get the long range tank fitted first. :roll:
I'll have an FTO one day... i swear!

until then:
1. 2001 Merc-Benz A160 (porta-loo on wheels)
2. 2007 Peugeot 307 TDi (more fun than you'd expect)
3. [url=ttp://ftoaustralia.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=25373]2009 Mitsubishi Triton Di-D (a monster in its own right)[/url]
4. 1992 Nissan NX Coupe (club car and project car)
5. 1996 Holden SB Barina - "The Nugget"
6. 1996 Jeep XJ Cherokee Sport - The Budget Build
7. 2010 Toyota Landcruiser 76 Series - V8 Goodness... - Build coming soon.
8. 1990 Audi 90 manual - The delightfully dignified daily driver
Astron_Boy wrote:No correction needed Gen Y, you are correct.
Bennoz wrote:My rubbing happens on the inside.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Bennoz, did they tell you the turn around time for the engineers certificate?
And is it from a signatory NSW engineer?
vanadinite
Veteran Mechanic

Post by vanadinite »

So can a 6g75 mivec engine directy into an fto as a bolt on?
Forget about the engineers certificate for a little bit ok.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Direct bolt on?
No
vanadinite
Veteran Mechanic

Post by vanadinite »

spetz wrote:Direct bolt on?
No
So what would be required?
So far ive determined the gearbox would need the 6g75 bellhousing transplanted onto it, what else would be needed? and would the engine actually physically fit in the bay?
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Not sure what exactly needs doing.
There have been a few 6G75 conversions done to Mirages/Lancers and their engine bays are the same so that would be a good start for info.
Mivec.co.nz has one or two such conversions there
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

I've worked on hundreds of magnas can recommend a sh*t no as a conversion. The motor is absolute garbage.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Gold :lol:
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

What makes you say that Payaya?
I had a friend who put 370,000km on a Magna, never did a cambelt, never did a transmission oil change, and never did oil and filter change, just topped up oil periodically as it would burn it a bit.
Still going when he got rid of it too.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Because I've worked on hundreds of magnas and basically have memorized all bolt sizes for the engine car.

My boss deliberately gives me the magnas that come in via the fiance company we work for because he knows I hate them, but my issue is im too good at working on them.

I kid you not I'm shocked when I inspect one that does not leak or have some form of rattle from the engine.

I literally have to change rocker gaskets on ever one that comes in and 1 in 3 its leaking from cam\crank seals

In regards to the suspension they are good. Transmission wise they are like FTO's you got to treat them like princesses or they bite you in the arse. They almost all have burning oil in the trans which is a big no no.

Out of all cars we inspect we reject more magans than any other cars as the big finance company say if its not worth it we will just reject it. Working on cars all day you see where some cars are just dumb. Magnas have thin sheet metal as rover covers. They warp after a while which causes the leaks. Its so bad that when you take the cover off and re install the bolt holes dont line up!! There is the lifter issue that has existed since donky years ago and the new lancer still tick! Bad form.

The only Mitsubishi I would buy is a Diesel Triton in manual form. Reason? Its proven reliable because it doesn't use the norm gear in other models. Poor blakes come in with tritons with low kms and their fucked feel so sorry for them.

I'll say mitsubishis rate nar the bottom just above the euros in reliability they are shocking.

Givee you an example a ford of the same year you are actually shocked there is something with with it. Its usually rotors need machining, you don't even bother inspecting the gear box oil as its always good. They don't leak and if they do its always a hose going to the trans. I've been a mechanic for a few years now and I've changed one rocker cover gasket on a ford falcon that's it and never has a falcon come in for a serious problem.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

spetz wrote:What makes you say that Payaya?
I had a friend who put 370,000km on a Magna, never did a cambelt, never did a transmission oil change, and never did oil and filter change, just topped up oil periodically as it would burn it a bit.
Still going when he got rid of it too.
Absoute crap mate no car will last that long with what you describe. Oil turns to mush at about 50kms and a magna timing belt gets cracks almost the whole way through the belt at 150kms. So the seal on the water pump lasts 400ks as well comon your friend is telling you fibs.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

I don't know if at some stage he took better care of the car (he bought it at 50,000km and he must have).
But I saw the car in it's final few years and you couldn't imagine a car being treated worse.
Start cold and immediate what to redline, put any oil in it that he found (it used a lot of oil, part burning it and part leaking it hence the no oil changes as new oil was added every couple of weeks). No real maintenance at all.
It wasn't running perfect at the end, but the fact that it was still running was impressive.

I know they have their issues (oil leaks and so on are common) but I think not much goes wrong with them mechanically and they last a while. The transmission is probably the only thing that is a concern.

Of course I am not a mechanic and my impression is simply from owning one, two other friends owning them and the Magna community forums.

While on the subject, do you know what it can be if there is a 1,100rpm rattle in these engines?
Mine has that rattle, it won't do it in N or P, just when driving. Once the engine is warm the rattle diminishes but is still there a bit.