Some help please

Anything off topic that you want to share with the group. (warning this board may include coarse language)

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

destinationtoby
Broke it
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Some help please

Post by destinationtoby »

Hey guys
My sisters selling her car soon and has asked me to fix these scratches. She was taking it to a panel beaters and got quoted a ridiculous amount. So I said I'll do it.

It's a pretty simple really all I need to know is can I just sand it back abit and paint it or will they still show or the paint not stay on?or Do I need to sand that whole bottom bit of the door back then prime and paint etc?
Also
How hard is it to take off a door? Seems like only 4bolts but there's wiring in there aswell. Would be much easier if I could get it off.

Oh and if anyone's interested in an excellent daily, I can tell you this car would be perfect my nan bought it new for my sister, and they have never ever missed a service. Extremely reliable, can guarantee no problems for long a time.
It's a 2002 Mazda 323 Astina with 115 000kms
She is leaving for uni in a couple months and will be leaving it with me to sell. She wants 6500 Ono so I'm thinking 7k after looking at most going for around 8k on eBay. Not forsale yet though :/

Back to the scratch. What should I do?
Thanks
Last edited by destinationtoby on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
destinationtoby
Broke it

Re: Some help please

Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Because nothing is faster than a p plater in a commodore.....
except maybe a p plater on a unicorn
FTOcrazy273 wrote: Destinationtoby probably has one of THE best FTO's on the forum I never get tired of looking at his pics! Good work mate!
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

Part it out :troll:
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
fraz91
Hair-do

Post by fraz91 »

Depending on how deep the scratches are, you should be able to get away with a good cut and polish and a decent buff. Okay, how handy are you with a cordless drill?

If the answer is along the lines of "I know which end screws things" then you're set! You will need:
1x Waffle Pad
1x Lambs-wool (or similar) buffer pad
1x Cut + Polish product (I'd say Meguiars, but really whatever works)
1x spare day.

Follow the instructions on the back of the cut + polish product, and you should be set. Alternatively, here's a youtube link:
I'll have an FTO one day... i swear!

until then:
1. 2001 Merc-Benz A160 (porta-loo on wheels)
2. 2007 Peugeot 307 TDi (more fun than you'd expect)
3. [url=ttp://ftoaustralia.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=25373]2009 Mitsubishi Triton Di-D (a monster in its own right)[/url]
4. 1992 Nissan NX Coupe (club car and project car)
5. 1996 Holden SB Barina - "The Nugget"
6. 1996 Jeep XJ Cherokee Sport - The Budget Build
7. 2010 Toyota Landcruiser 76 Series - V8 Goodness... - Build coming soon.
8. 1990 Audi 90 manual - The delightfully dignified daily driver
Astron_Boy wrote:No correction needed Gen Y, you are correct.
Bennoz wrote:My rubbing happens on the inside.
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Big job, just sell it with the scratches.

The scratches look like they are also dents. You would have to sand back the lower section of the door (from the side trim down), bog the indents, spray primer filler, sand, paint colour, paint clear. I would leave the door on and just cover the rest of the side of the car with paper/tape. Sand and bog with door open, paint with door closed.

The biggest problems would be colour matching and blending in the new paint with the original paint work.
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
Sahin
HULK

Post by Sahin »

I'd go buy another door from a wrecker.. that is the same colour.. its not rare like an fto lol
shadowarrior
Tightarse

Post by shadowarrior »

Too much effort. Unless the cosmetic damage is significantly decreasing the sale value or if she is getting a big amount from the sale which covers the cost of fixing it and some more, I would try and sell it as is.
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Panelbeater could probs do it for cheap if they just spray bottom half of door
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

Also keep in mind that if you do try and fix it, you could end up making it worse and look like you're trying to cover something even worse up.
Bennoz wrote:
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

Sahin wrote:I'd go buy another door from a wrecker.. that is the same colour.. its not rare like an fto lol
doors are a bitch to hang properly though. As Shadowarrior said, if it's not going to decrease the sale value too much, then just sell it with the scratches.
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Just sell it in the dark
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Just polish them. Will hardly notice.
destinationtoby
Broke it

silverGPX wrote:Just sell it in the dark
:lol: :lol:

Bennoz wrote:Just polish them. Will hardly notice.
They are fairly deep scratches though, not dented but deep.

She really wants them gone before sale, dunno why exactly but really wants me to have a go.
And yea I'm worried that ill make it look like something worse then what is there. I could see this happening only if I have to use filler,. :?
FTOcrazy273 wrote: Destinationtoby probably has one of THE best FTO's on the forum I never get tired of looking at his pics! Good work mate!
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

You can try using a bit of touch up paint and then wet sand with some 2000 or 3000 grit wet or dry, followed by a good buff.
Bennoz wrote:
destinationtoby
Broke it

Vectose wrote:You can try using a bit of touch up paint and then wet sand with some 2000 or 3000 grit wet or dry, followed by a good buff.
Yep I'm thinking that's probably the easiest, cheapest and most effective way too do it. Cheers
Now I gotta tell her she doesn't need the $40 can of paint she had mixed up for me :P
destinationtoby
Broke it

fraz91 wrote:Depending on how deep the scratches are, you should be able to get away with a good cut and polish and a decent buff. Okay, how handy are you with a cordless drill?

If the answer is along the lines of "I know which end screws things" then you're set! You will need:
1x Waffle Pad
1x Lambs-wool (or similar) buffer pad
1x Cut + Polish product (I'd say Meguiars, but really whatever works)
1x spare day.

Follow the instructions on the back of the cut + polish product, and you should be set. Alternatively, here's a youtube link:

This is handy. Thanks!
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

destinationtoby wrote:
Vectose wrote:You can try using a bit of touch up paint and then wet sand with some 2000 or 3000 grit wet or dry, followed by a good buff.
Yep I'm thinking that's probably the easiest, cheapest and most effective way too do it. Cheers
Now I gotta tell her she doesn't need the $40 can of paint she had mixed up for me :P
Use the paint that's in the can to touch up, spray it into a little container.
Bennoz wrote:
destinationtoby
Broke it

Vectose wrote: Use the paint that's in the can to touch up, spray it into a little container.
:cheers:
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

I like the idea of just replacing the door. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

Alternatively you could try and respray the whole strip underneath the black part to make the colour blend in better.
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
destinationtoby
Broke it

Daniel2019 wrote:I like the idea of just replacing the door. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

Alternatively you could try and respray the whole strip underneath the black part to make the colour blend in better.

Would be hard to find the car at the wreckers the same color. Only have have two wreckers nearby and both seem to be full of rusty commo's and rav 4 's etc so would be have to be lucky to find one, then probably get charged a sh*t load for it.

Yeah that's what I planned to do
But the scratches being so deep probably means that ill have too use filler, which I'm not all that good at and could seem as though I've tried to cover up something bigger than scratches so not really going to risk it.