Rebuilding rear calipers...

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

den0va
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Rebuilding rear calipers...

Post by den0va »

So yeah as per title... I have already rebuilt my front calipers, which were f*cked lol only one sliding pin on each side was functioning properly and all dust boots f*cked as well. Anyways, I was just wondering about the rear calipers, as most cars have special tools to remove the piston because of the handbrake assembly. What's my best bet? Can I just blow it out with compressed air like the fronts and make sure the piston goes back in straight or the way it came out? or do I need this special tool, or make a makeshift one? Cheers :)
Bennoz
National President

Re: Rebuilding rear calipers...

Post by Bennoz »

Needle nose plyers, wound anti-clockwise ;)
Storm
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Storm »

Long circlip pliers, normal ones don't always reach far enough into the calliper to undo the circlip holding the hand brake mechanism in.
Life is short - Have an affair
den0va
Grease Monkey

Post by den0va »

Alrighty then I'll give that a shot next week. Do you recommend rebuilding the handbrake assembly seals as well? They came in the rebuild kit (from camskill) but I really cannot be arsed stuffing around with that, do they malfunction after some time or am I right just to rebuild the piston seals/dust boots/sliding boot seals. My handbrake works fine...
Storm
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Storm »

The hand brake mechanism does get gummed up so its good to strip it and give it a good grease if you get a chance
Life is short - Have an affair