Aligning

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

destinationtoby
Broke it
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Aligning

Post by destinationtoby »

Been trying to align the fenders for hours and I've made no progress.

Main problem is the door is hitting it.

Doesn't align with the bumper or the bonnet
I can't make the holes any bigger, they are huge, there's enough room to slide atleast a cm in any direction. I new this would be difficult but not this bad. I've pretty much given up, it seems impossible to get it right the whole fender itself seems to not go with the shape of the car, to have it where it is now (photos) it was the best I can get it, and the tension that it has put on the fender is extreme, like its nearly at breaking point. Which I feel like doing to it anyway f**k!
I don't no if anyone could help, but worth a try I guess.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
kiz
SA Coordinator

Re: Aligning

Post by kiz »

Oh, the joys of aftermarket fiberglass body kit assembly... Have fun with that champ ;)

:lol:

That's the main reason why I never was interested in the fenders, too many areas for them to need to line up correctly or it all goes to s**t
There are two types of people on forums; those that give helpful advice, and the others

1998 Mitsubishi FTO GPVR AERO ;)
dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Have sent you a PM with contact details. Give me a call and ill talk you through it.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    Sahin
    HULK

Post by Sahin »

It's probably your car not aligning with the fender...your cars been in a smash hasn't it?
    Astron_Boy
    Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Your headlight should not be sitting under the bonnet edge for one...

As Sahin commented.
    Is the front end of the car square?
    silverGPX
    9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

do a revs check see if its repairable write off
    Taz
    Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Yea thats a good idea, spend money to find out something he already knows :facepalm:
    Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
    destinationtoby
    Broke it

Well I didn't have a crash in between putting these on and taking off the old ones which aligned fine
    And this isnt the side that I noticed there was some sign of a hit maybe, I didn't even bother trying to fit the left one..
    Thinking about drilling extra holes in the car to help fit.
    Thanks Dwayne ill get back to you when I find time to try and fit them again.
    Because nothing is faster than a p plater in a commodore.....
    except maybe a p plater on a unicorn
    FTOcrazy273 wrote: Destinationtoby probably has one of THE best FTO's on the forum I never get tired of looking at his pics! Good work mate!
    Sahin
    HULK

Post by Sahin »

destinationtoby wrote:Well I didn't have a crash in between putting these on and taking off the old ones which aligned fine
    And this isnt the side that I noticed there was some sign of a hit maybe, I didn't even bother trying to fit the left one..
    Thinking about drilling extra holes in the car to help fit.
    Thanks Dwayne ill get back to you when I find time to try and fit them again.
    yeah coz metal has more give in it then fibreglass and when you bolt them up they might bend to mate to the mounting points
    and I meant the front bar and bonnet not being lined up along with the headlight...
    destinationtoby
    Broke it

Yeah the headlight was out for abit while fitting the fender, in the photo it's just sitting there. But once bolted back on it sits down.
    Bumper is still out because I lost those three brackets and bolts when I made it and have been too busy to chase down more and re align it. Bumpers being held on by mainly zip ties lol
    When I get a full day, ill get the fenders done somehow hopefully, even if I'm able to ill make up brackets and whatever to get it right.

I shouldn't complain too much, I just gotta be patient, the paint turned out great, just needs a polish. And once aligned I can tell it definitely gives the car a tougher/exotic more modern look. IMO

This ended up being the best I could get it. But it's only being held on by I think 3 bolts (it's the rest that start to pull it into even more awkward spots)
    Cars been garaged till I can get them right, cos I just cbf removing and putting the old one back on.
    Attachments
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Threw in the clear ones that I found in the boot a while back. I think I still prefer the black
    Threw in the clear ones that I found in the boot a while back. I think I still prefer the black
    image.jpg
    FTOcrazy273 wrote: Destinationtoby probably has one of THE best FTO's on the forum I never get tired of looking at his pics! Good work mate!
    Sahin
    HULK

Post by Sahin »

It looks fine lol
    Just needs to be built up from behind the fender so that it lines up with the door and then mount your bar properly and it should be fine...
    destinationtoby
    Broke it

I CAN'T OPEN MY DOOR!
    destinationtoby
    Broke it

:lol:
    Plus it's basically just sitting there for a photo. If I drove it would probably fly off haha
    Sahin
    HULK

Post by Sahin »

Oh wow you suck lol I fit one in about 40 minutes drilling and all and installing mesh and taking off the old fender lol
    destinationtoby
    Broke it

Sahin wrote:Oh wow you suck lol I fit one in about 40 minutes drilling and all and installing mesh and taking off the old fender lol

Yeah and when u said " I went and bought a drill to drill the holes" I thought to myself yeah well if this bloke can fit em no worries and doesn't own a drill lol well ill surely be able too.
    I don't no WTF's wrong with me.
    Sahin
    HULK

Post by Sahin »

Nahhhh lol I just didn't want to use my hammer drill or my drill press! lol :facepalm:
    destinationtoby
    Broke it

Sahin wrote:Nahhhh lol I just didn't want to use my hammer drill or my drill press! lol :facepalm:

Oh :lol:
    dstocks
    National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

OK, here goes

1. Line the guard up at the top.You needto leave about .5 cm gap where it meets the door. Tighten all bolts along the top and get the best gap you can with respect to the bonnet. Youll probably need to close and open the bonnet a few times until you get it right. On mine, the gap between the bonnet and the guard is about .5cm (and a little less at the front)

2. The guard doesnt flex quite enough (particularly on the drivers side). On mine, although the door opens fine, it does sit in a little (about 1mm more than the door). While this doesnt really hurt anything, it annoyed me, so on the drivers side I put a small bracket under the guard (bolted to body) that the guard touches fitted up (Passengers side didnt need it). This causes the guard to bend a tiny bit more in the middle and it then sits out a little more.

3. At the bottom, I found that you need to bolt quite close to the edge. Toa degree, the closer to the edge you go, the morethe guard will flex out when you tighten it.

4. The only other thing I found was that the top corner of the guard (closest to drivers window) sits slightly low. So I built the under side up with a few layers of double sided tape so it sits a bit higher (Vectose used a blob of bog instead I think).

Other than that, it fits up quite well. Hope this helps. Can post some pictures of the gaps if you think this would help.
    Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
      If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
      destinationtoby
      Broke it

dstocks wrote:OK, here goes

1. Line the guard up at the top.You needto leave about .5 cm gap where it meets the door. Tighten all bolts along the top and get the best gap you can with respect to the bonnet. Youll probably need to close and open the bonnet a few times until you get it right. On mine, the gap between the bonnet and the guard is about .5cm (and a little less at the front)

2. The guard doesnt flex quite enough (particularly on the drivers side). On mine, although the door opens fine, it does sit in a little (about 1mm more than the door). While this doesnt really hurt anything, it annoyed me, so on the drivers side I put a small bracket under the guard (bolted to body) that the guard touches fitted up (Passengers side didnt need it). This causes the guard to bend a tiny bit more in the middle and it then sits out a little more.

3. At the bottom, I found that you need to bolt quite close to the edge. Toa degree, the closer to the edge you go, the morethe guard will flex out when you tighten it.

4. The only other thing I found was that the top corner of the guard (closest to drivers window) sits slightly low. So I built the under side up with a few layers of double sided tape so it sits a bit higher (Vectose used a blob of bog instead I think).

Other than that, it fits up quite well. Hope this helps. Can post some pictures of the gaps if you think this would help.

THIS ^ will definitely help. Thank you !
      And yep some pics sometime would be great cheers
      payaya
      Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Did you do up that bolt near the front underside of the panel? Looks like you have just shove the panel over the top of it.