ABS Conversion

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Taz
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

ABS Conversion

Post by Taz »

Going to do an ABS conversion on the mrs car, and at the same time Sahin is going to do one as well.
Just double checking what we will both need to do this conversion - so far we have

ECU, harness, sensors, hubs, cluster, booster. Is there anything else involved? Will this make it a 'plug and play' application?
His dads car will have the ECU, harness, sensors hubs and cluster, and i will have the same off the GPR.
The only thing were not sure of is the LSD that was in my car. Will this affect the hub/bearing because of the stubbier shaft? or is this only at the gearbox end, and will a same spline shaft fit straight in? Ill grab his shafts to fit into his hubs and put them on the mrs car. he will take my ABS gear.
(by the way reason why were 'swapping' is mine is auto his is manual)
Have we missed anything? :)

*waits for all the cynics complaining too much work for nothing etc*
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
silverGPX
9.5"

Re: ABS Conversion

Post by silverGPX »

All the engine bay hardlines.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

I once asked a mechanic if he could do an ABS conversion to my car.
He said sell it and buy one with ABS fitted.
Is it really that hard to retrofit ABS?
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

it wouldnt be THAT hard id assume, but more so for me since the car is coming apart anyway, it will be piss easy. taking the engine out to rebuild it basically so the loom will come out (which is probably the hardest part) ECU is a few plugs and bolts, hubs are a few bolts. It will be plug and play, just not sure if ive missed anything.
Were the ABS brake lines any bigger than standard? or was it only the booster/master?
For a car like the fto to come in ABS wasnt common and especially since both me and sahin have the gear to both do it for free (minus a flight to melbourne) i think justifies doing it without it being a waste of effort/money etc
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Taz wrote:*waits for all the cynics complaining too much work for nothing etc*

You forgot front CV's with the ABS ring on them & rear wheel bearing assemblies with the rings as well.

Also the bigger booster unit & master cylinder must be the 1" bore.

And how the f**k are you going to wire it in?? Gonna do a loom swap or grab the plug off one & wire each individual wire into the loom & ABS ECU?

Massive f**k around.
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Were doing the loom and ecu swap. Yes the shafts as well forgot to put that in. We both have the bigger booster. One thing we forgot was rear hubs but thats not the boggest part.
We both have all the gear needed from 2 donor abs cars and my engine and box is coming out along with half the car when I get it amway so for me it wont be a big problem. For him itll be a c**t haha.
Will be worth it in the end. I want it for the mrs nothing will change that lol.
So if we do swap everything mentioned over thats all we have to do?
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Just quickly, for whoever is leaving their engine in (Sahin is, right?) good luck with getting the old loom out and the new one in. There will be a bunch of sh*t in the way.

Also, isn't there a difference in dash clusters, or are do they all have the little ABS light just some arent powered/connected etc? Or do you just not care about the ABS light? (Guessing not but eh)

I admire your willingness to put in all that work just for it, though :lol:
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
Shhtuart
Forum Moderator

Post by Shhtuart »

I have brand new pre facelift rear wheel bearings with the abs rings im trying to unload. Lemme know if anyone needs them.