Helical LSD manual gear box oil

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

JOA81
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Helical LSD manual gear box oil

Post by JOA81 »

Hey I'm going to be putting Taz's LSD gearbox in my car this weekend and thought I would change the oil while I was there

I have already done a quick search and found this
khunjeng wrote:
Bennoz wrote:What about g/box oils for those with LSD?
edit from me...

When an oil is spec'd for LSD use, they mean its appropriately friction modified for clutch LSDs. Most Nissan LSDs for example are viscous coupling (VLSD) which means they use their own internal fluid for the 'lockup'. So for VLSDs it doesn't matter if the oil is specifically rated for LSD use or not - just so long as its API GL5 rated. So you are safe with Syntrax. I'm not sure what type of LSD the FTO uses...

Two good choices:
Castrol Syntrax 75W90 - GL4/5 suitable for both diffs and gearboxes.
Castrol Syntrans 75W85 - GL4 for gearboxes only but tends to give better shifting than Syntrax for gearboxes specifying GL4 fluids such as nissans.
So should I be using one of of these oils
Bennoz
National President

Re: Helical LSD manual gear box oil

Post by Bennoz »

Castrol Syntrans 75W85 is probably the preferred one there. Our gearboxes prefer GL4 spec oils.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the Castrol box oils, I prefer the Valvoline equivalent.
JOA81
Mechanic

Post by JOA81 »

Bennoz wrote:Castrol Syntrans 75W85 is probably the preferred one there. Our gearboxes prefer GL4 spec oils.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the Castrol box oils, I prefer the Valvoline equivalent.
Thanks
What is the valvoline equivalent ?
kiz
SA Coordinator

Post by kiz »

Shenal wrote:
Bennoz wrote:Castrol Syntrans 75W85 is probably the preferred one there. Our gearboxes prefer GL4 spec oils.

Thanks
What is the valvoline equivalent ?
Actually I'm interested too, I have do gearbox oil soon. I have 3L of Motul LSD box oil at my parents place to put in but not sure if there is anything better?
There are two types of people on forums; those that give helpful advice, and the others

1998 Mitsubishi FTO GPVR AERO ;)
JOA81
Mechanic

Post by JOA81 »

I can only find this at Repco

"CASTROL MANUAL VMX-M 75W-85
Wide ranging high performance multigrade manual transmission fluid specifically formulated to meet and overcome the problems of cold shift performance as well as meeting the factory fill and service requirements of Mtisubishi manual transmissions and transaxles. For manual transmissions where GL-4 SAE 75W, 75W-80 or 75W-85 are recommended."

Is that still good or do I need the syntranz