Camshafts/gears

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

bjk
Totes
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: Camshafts/gears

Post by bjk »

Astron_Boy wrote:Totes.

You can start philosophizing Gen Y.
To be honest I don't really care for the generational thing, although it is funny to stereotype every once in a while.

Also, :thebird: I'm not going to live that one down, am I? :lol:
POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

:cheeky:
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Totes :lol:
slippercream
Apprentice

Post by slippercream »

Hey BJK... here's to pipe dreaming, man.
A game for people who constantly find themselves with light wallets.

One of only maybe 10 ever made? It's not a camshaft, but this was a custom grind.
Once upon a time... in 2008, I sent RPW 6G75 MIVEC heads to R&D custom camshafts that no one ever bought :? (at least, I don't think anyone did.)

But, back to the original point of this post - whether N/A or FI, the point of a custom grind camshaft should be to improve performance. Based on the info I've already seen on this forum, the camshafts may not be the bottleneck for these heads.
Attachments
6G75 Crank_2020-05-22_Crankshaft 1.JPG
6G75 Crank_2020-05-22_Crankshaft 1.JPG (126.07 KiB) Viewed 1980 times
06 Eclipse GT 5/MT AWD | 09 Eclipse GT 6/MT FWD | 18 Eclipse Cross SEL CVT S-AWC
94 FTO COTY 4/AT FWD | 14 Evo X MR 6/DCT S-AWC | 15 Evo X FE 5/MT S-AWC

bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Digging up some real dusty threads :lol: guess I succumbed to the lure of boost in the end haha

If I recall, I think Rob found the MIVEC cam is 300 duration stock.
Image Image Image Image
slippercream
Apprentice

Post by slippercream »

Yeah, he told me. And that's why I think it's sufficient in stock form - until it's not enough :D Isn't that how it goes?
I revived another dead thread asking about flow numbers on the MIVEC heads. I really want to know what that looks like, because if anything, that will determine the throughput of the engine itself - moving parts aside.

The conundrum is this - we know that the factory crank can probably handle up to 500hp (as can most Cyclone engine counterparts). That can be remedied (as per the image above, which is for a 6G75). Regardless of the theoretical max, designing a system to include components that can maximize the engine to its full potential will be key. And the heads are often the bottleneck. Everything else can be fabricated.
06 Eclipse GT 5/MT AWD | 09 Eclipse GT 6/MT FWD | 18 Eclipse Cross SEL CVT S-AWC

bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Have you come across fto-007s build thread yet? Can't believe I hadn't thought to mention it yet lol. You won't find another 6A12 MIVEC with as much money spent on it, and fortunately most of the pics are hosted on the site so they're still there. Might give you some of the answers you're looking for.

https://www.ftoaustralia.com/v3/viewtop ... 41&t=24604
Image Image Image Image
slippercream
Apprentice

Post by slippercream »

Thanks again BJK! Great reference. I see he used RPW cams, but that it wasn't a one-and-done deal. I didn't find flow numbers anywhere in the post though, and I get it. I may just have to do a tear-down and send my heads off to be tested.

I really would love to know if he even surpassed the 400hp mark. I regrettably admit to being very aware of what it's like, dumping copious amounts of money on turbocharging a factory N/A engine that wasn't built to flow boosted. I'm really kinda sullen at this point, seeing how often people have settled at the fact that the 6A12 can't push beyond 200% its factory output without so much effort. It was a struggle getting my old 3.0L 6G72 SOHC (3rd Gen Eclipse... bored out to near 3.2L, actually) to blow past 350 - and it's pretty pretty damn obvious the limitation was the heads! (Ode to the GTO of course.)

I mean, it seems the limitations of the 6A12 are pretty evident here. As much as I'd love to retain matching numbers between engine and body, it isn't just practical - it's logical - to just abandon to something like a 6A13.

Tell you what, if I weren't restoring a COTY, I would have NO QUALMS whatsoever trying to fit something else entirely under the hood. :/

4.2L 6G75-M, perhaps? :D Just teasing.

bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

I think 355 wheel hp was the max. Maybe it would've cracked 400 on E85 if he hadn't sold it? I think Rob's example of a (reasonably) more wallet-friendly turbo MIVEC is a good example of what the motor can do with a little persuasion :lol: Similar peak power to a 6A13 with the boost wound up on the twins, and it still revs to 8k.

I think it'll probably come down to how you want to use it, really. Boosting my FTO was basically my first real foray into "building" a car, and I did it because I liked the model and wanted it to be faster in the most expeditious way. Having now experienced what 200hp at the wheels feels like to drive, sometimes I wonder if a refreshed MIVEC would have satisfied me after all. But then I remember also that I rarely ever utilised all of the rev range (partly out of paranoia that it would spontaneously detonate, and partly because once you're there you're already over the speed limit). The extra displacement and boost means that I also get the same power at least 1500RPM sooner, and make more consistently everywhere even after the turbos have run out of puff. So for a predominantly street-driven car at legal road speeds it is great, because I get the same sensation of power without actually having to be moving faster and increasing my chance of a ticket lol.

The tradeoffs I guess are that crisp N/A response (not that the twins are at all laggy, mind), the exhaust note, MIVEC, and an 8250 rev cut. Maybe one day, as much as I love my little Protege, I'll sell it and just daily a GPX :lol:

I think the purity only matters if you want it to, and hey, the PR guys have been stuffing 6Gs into Mirages for years haha