Need something, Put it in here.
Private Sales Only

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

vanadinite
Veteran Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

25 Spline GPX Driveshafts - Brisbane

Post by vanadinite »

What I Need: 25 Spline GPX Drive shafts in Brisbane or surrounding areas due to time constraints (all i really need is the inner Knuckle/Bearing for a 25 spline cup)

Back story: I've got the LSD box and now need to make the correct drive shafts for it.

Why I need the shafts?: If you must know..... I have the inner CV cups for the new LSD box but they cannot be transplanted onto my existing shafts because my existing shafts are 27 spline, hence they have a bigger inner CV Knuckle/Bearing. Ive been to a few CV places with no luck, If i cannot source them out here I'm gonna have to go to Australian CV's in slacks creek to see if they can match something up.

What I am going to use the shafts for:I am going to take the 25 spline shafts apart and transplant that Knuckle/Bearing into the LSD cups and attach that to my existing shafts. so if the shafts you have are F**ked on the outer CV it doesn't matter.
destinationtoby
Broke it

Re: 25 Spline GPX Driveshafts - Brisbane

Post by destinationtoby »

lol shaftsshaftshafts :cheeky:
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Good luck. The 25 spline viscous LSD inner cups are rare. They're uneven length.

There's a few threads around on it. I would suggest your best bet would be a driveshaft place. If you can get a set matched up, let me know, I've got one of those LSDs sitting in my garage as well!
vanadinite
Veteran Mechanic

Post by vanadinite »

Bennoz wrote:Good luck. The 25 spline viscous LSD inner cups are rare. They're uneven length.

There's a few threads around on it. I would suggest your best bet would be a driveshaft place. If you can get a set matched up, let me know, I've got one of those LSDs sitting in my garage as well!
I already have the LSD inner cups ready to go, i only need the inner tripod bearing/knuckle to go inside the cup (the thing that actually attached to the shaft its self and sits inside the cv boot). My stock tripod bearing/knuckle's would have worked if they were 25 spline and not 27 spline (the difference in size of my 27 spline shafts meant they wouldn't fit in the LSD 25 Spline Cups.

EDIT: i believe its called a spider assembly. I need one for the inner LSD cup.
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

I thought the parts that went in the cup were the same?
Simply the actual cup/ spline shaft was different.

e.g. you have a manual non lsd, keep the shafts, replace the box with cups, original shafts fit in to the new cups....

I do remember you talking of this prior, is this a auto to manual conversion factor?
In which case just get some manual shafts...?
vanadinite
Veteran Mechanic

Post by vanadinite »

Here's the deal, Ive sussed it all out and understand it fully now.
My FTO is manual, and im replacing my non LSD manual box with a LSD manual box!!
I have the inner CV cups for the LSD.
My original shafts are 27 spline.
The required Shafts for LSD Cups are 25 Spline
The LSD Box required 25 spline shafts

Because there was not a lot of information clearly written on this I thought I'd write up a guide so the next person who does this can avoid all the issues I've run into.

(To avoid confusion I name the shafts by number of splines on their inner diff cups. IE is the drive shaft that fits the inner cup that has 27 splines is called the 27 spline shaft.)

Let me explain my Issues so far and my solutions to those issues

The 27 Spline shafts are DIFFERENT to the 25 spline Shafts in every way possible

Note the difference in the length of the two shafts. The 25 spline shaft is about 5mm longer than the 27 spline shaft.

Note the 25 spline shaft is smaller in diameter and has 23 splines on the end
The 27 Spline shaft is larger in diameter and has 26 Splines on the end
(this larger end means that the outer CV is completely different. The outer CV kit on eBay sold by suzukisuper will only fit a 25 spline shaft. )

Note again the difference in size and diameter. Because the 27 Spline shaft has a larger 27 spline inner CV cup the shaft its self is also bigger.
This means that if you have a 27 spline shaft (like me) you cannot just swap the cup over with an LSD cup (or any cup for that matter). You will need to obtain a complete 25 Spline set of drive shafts and your LSD cups will fit onto those shafts.
I say complete because you will need the outer CV that fits the 25 spline shaft, you cannot just put your 27 spline outer CV on a 25 spline shaft.

This is the standing difference between a 27 Spline cup and a LSD 25 spline cup.

Just another angle to show more clearly the difference between the larger 27 spline cup and the 25 spline LSD cup (note the difference would be exactly the same if the LSD was a non LSD 25 spline cup)

Thanks to Tylar I now have for the 25 spline shafts required. I now have almost everything i need to make everything work.
I've got the LSD cups installed onto the 25 spline shafts ready to go, all im waiting on is replacement outer CV's from suzukisuper on eBay.

So in short if you have a 27 spline gearbox and you replace it with 25 spline gearbox (LSD or NO LSD) THROW AWAY YOUR 27 SPLINE SHAFTS BECAUSE THEIR ABSOLUTELY F**KING USELESS. Get your self a complete 25 spline set of drive shafts. The Viscous LSD cups will fit directly onto 25 spline shafts with no modding just a simple re-cupping.
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Nice.

I think that post deserves a shift to the technical area.
Meanwhile for me, some images don't show, simply keep loading and then time out.
Probably a proxy issue.
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Yeah, good work!

@Dan - Images are fine for me.
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Yep nicely done, will move it & sticky in help section.

Oh & btw, you could have avoided all this buy getting the later model helical LSD which is 27 spline :lol:
vanadinite
Veteran Mechanic

Post by vanadinite »

OK, I need the inner CV JOINTS now, i have this vibrating issue when accelerating and its really bad in second gear up hills. All i need is the joint, nothing else. If no one has any im gonna have to get one made or mine rebuilt if thats even possible.
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Without seeing it, it's hard to diagnose, but I don't think the issue is with your cvs.
vanadinite
Veteran Mechanic

Post by vanadinite »

Ok, im not sure if its the CV's now either, just took it for another drive. The vibrating is pretty bad (feels like im driving on a dirt road) and its really only in 1st and 2nd gear and only up hills. When driven straight its hardly noticeable.
I had new tyres and a wheel alignment, it seems to have happened shortly after that. Can a bad alignment do this?
The major reason i thought it was the inner cv's is Google and the fact that my dodgy cable ties didn't hold and the passenger side inner lost a fair amount of grease, while still being sealed. (it seeped out)
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

did you put crossmember mounts back correctly? and tighten castle nuts correct?
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
vanadinite
Veteran Mechanic

Post by vanadinite »

Yeah no dramas with any of that. im going to look at the mounts tomorrow again.