Low RPM noise???

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FTOMAN
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Low RPM noise???

Post by FTOMAN »

Hi guys I have just purchased my fto and it has started making a suspect noise. It's a fairly quiet humming noise at low RPM as you slowly take off. Doesn't happen when car is out of gear (manual) and neithor in reverse. Any help would be much appreciated :?:

Stressed FTOMAN.
mrx
Veteran Mechanic

Post by mrx »

Does it only happen at low rpm's, eg only when the gear has just engaged? Is it only in first gear?
Boris
Oldtimer

Post by Boris »

Welcome and Congrats,
Where does the noise appear to be coming from?
Name: Boris
Rides: Mitsubishi Evo 8 MR, Volvo XC60 & 3 push bikes!
FTOMAN

Post by FTOMAN »

On further inspection it seems to be in all forward gears and possibly reverse. It does appear to be in the driveline possibly after the clutch. By coasting to a low speed in first, the noise is apparent when you gently get back on the accelerator with out any clutch application. The noise is definitely at low rpm. It does appear to be the clutch at first however it feels ok and disengages well. Car is a Mivec manual with 83000. Thanks for the reply’s you guys know your FTO’s. :wink:
Quattro
Apprentice

Post by Quattro »

Does the noise disappear when you put your foot on the clutch???
If so it be be the clutch plate itself.
FTOMAN

Post by FTOMAN »

havent tried as it is heard as i accellerate not while coasting along... The heavier the right foot the less you hear of it as it is only between 1500rpm to 2500rpm. The noise is hard to explain, kind of a low swishing noise with a sliding or mild grinding. As soon as the revs pick up its crisp all the way to 8 thou. Hard to find good help in Nth QLD only 4 FTO's in my area. Help is much appreciated. Cheers :)
FTOMAN

Post by FTOMAN »

havent tried as it is heard as i accellerate not while coasting along... The heavier the right foot the less you hear of it as it is only between 1500rpm to 2500rpm. The noise is hard to explain, kind of a low swishing noise with a sliding or mild grinding. As soon as the revs pick up its crisp all the way to 8 thou. Hard to find good help in Nth QLD only 4 FTO's in my area. Help is much appreciated. Cheers :)
Ther
Grease Monkey

Post by Ther »

DOes the noise come up only after a cold start?
Cos i have a 95 gpx tip and just recently it started making a noise after a cold start... it at low rpms kinda like grinding and a little clancking noise but it dissappears after a bit of driving.
80000 service is coming up shortly so i'm keen to hear what happened to your car.
RichardH
Grease Monkey

Post by RichardH »

FTOMAN wrote:On further inspection it seems to be in all forward gears and possibly reverse. It does appear to be in the driveline possibly after the clutch. By coasting to a low speed in first, the noise is apparent when you gently get back on the accelerator with out any clutch application. The noise is definitely at low rpm. It does appear to be the clutch at first however it feels ok and disengages well. Car is a Mivec manual with 83000. Thanks for the reply’s you guys know your FTO’s. :wink:

If it's what I think it is, this is the common-or-garden 'gear overrun' noise for that type of Mitsy gearbox. It's basically a grindy sorta noise if you are in "too high" a gear at really low rpm. Not grindy in a scary bad way, though... just a noisy gear meshing sound.

My manual GPX has made that noise for the past 4 years, and the RalliArt garage said it was something they hear out of a lot of Mitsubishi manual transmissions.

If I put it in 2nd at say 500rpm then accelerate, it makes the funny grindy noise until about 1200-1500rpm. Then the noise is gone. Same for taller gears. Does this sound familiar? If so, you can very likely stop worrying! :)

Just think of it as your FTO telling you do damn well drive it with higher revs! :D

- Rich
efteoh
Grease Monkey

Post by efteoh »

could also be a loose exhaust shield?
GWIDO
Apprentice

noise

Post by GWIDO »

could just be your brakes dragging a bit...
does it doit after you have been for a drive?
FTOMAN

Post by FTOMAN »

Brakes seem ok had them checked 90 and 95% front to rear respectively and disks have been machined all round. My mechanic checked exhaust shields and did the usual twisting and bashing but wasn't the answer.

After reading your reply Rich it hits the nail on the head exactly the same as yours and my worst gear for it is probably in third and up to about 2000rpm. :wink:

I haven't had any luck with mechanics on this one but it looks like it might be ok. It is a kinda grindy noise like you say but not a really bad one thanks for all your help guys. :D :D :D
RichardH
Grease Monkey

Post by RichardH »

Glad to hear. :)

Now go rev that thing up where it's meant to be driven, hehe. Use good oil, change it regularly, keep your belts in good nick and 8000rpm will be your special friend!

- Rich
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

i bet you its one of your belts!

Is is a more wushing, fluttering type noise?
FTOMAN

Post by FTOMAN »

dude im still stressing shes got eight four thou on the clock when is the time belt change on these things. Which belt do you think could be causing this.

Rich i drive it hard, "drive it like you stole it hard" its the only way to leave s$#t box commodores scratching their heads. however i jumped on the stoppers after a heavy session the other night and the car started to shudder badly and breaking was non existent not fun nor safe at 170+ kph. A mate told me I may have warped my disks does this sound possible???

Help would be apprecieated am i driving this thing beyond its potential or is it a dunger?

FTOMAN (Dylan) :x
FTOMAN

Post by FTOMAN »

dude im still stressing shes got eight four thou on the clock when is the time belt change on these things. Which belt do you think could be causing this.

Rich i drive it hard, "drive it like you stole it hard" its the only way to leave s$#t box commodores scratching their heads. however i jumped on the stoppers after a heavy session the other night and the car started to shudder badly and breaking was non existent not fun nor safe at 170+ kph. A mate told me I may have warped my disks does this sound possible???

Help would be apprecieated am i driving this thing beyond its potential or is it a dunger?

Boris
Oldtimer

Post by Boris »

Well, Timing belt is meant to get sone at 100k, but you can pretty much do it when ever, or when you feel is right.

From what you say, your rotors could be warped. Well, to combat this, i think they will need machining.

If your style of driving is hard, which is what it seems like, you should do brake upgrade... It will save you one day... :wink:
Name: Boris
Rides: Mitsubishi Evo 8 MR, Volvo XC60 & 3 push bikes!
FTOMAN

Post by FTOMAN »

They were done at the last service. Do any shops sell a kit for brake upgrades. Sounds expensive $$$
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

I can get rotors for the FTO, 45 front and i think 70 for the back.

RDA is a cheap alternative but just as good as DBA.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

FTOMAN wrote:dude im still stressing shes got eight four thou on the clock when is the time belt change on these things. Which belt do you think could be causing this.

Well at high speeds warping can be more apparent. If you can feel the whole car juddering or the brake pedal pulsating its warped rotors for sure. FTO suffer from warped rotors a lot.

I once tried hard braking from 160 to around 50 once, when i hit about 80-100 their was basically nothing to stop me.

FTO's have poor braking systems. Compared to some family cars these days the small rotors, and single pot callipers, on the GR are terrible.

Good ways to improve braking perofrmance.

Putting in slotted rotors, upgraded pads, and very important change your brake fluid if it hasnt been done in a while.