HELP NEEDED WITH FTO SPEEDO

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

jackt33
jedwabna poszewka promocja

HELP NEEDED WITH FTO SPEEDO

Post by jackt33 »

Please can someone help. I have just taken the speedo / rev counter out of my FTO to fit a white dial kit and now after fitting it back in the speedo and rev counter have stopped working I did remove the needles on the speedo and rev counter and fear it has messed it all up but I don't want to buy a new cluster if its not going to help. Does anyone have any ideas ? thanks
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Re: HELP NEEDED WITH FTO SPEEDO

Post by Daniel2019 »

Did you align the little cogs correctly?
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
jackt33

Post by jackt33 »

To be perfectly honest I didn't realise they went in in a particular way, is there a right and wrong when then ? What we have done is fit the needles at zero once ignition is switched on so we believe they would be set at zero. The fuel gauge and temp are working and moving and as far as I can see it is all fitted back in properly but it doesn't have any life in those 2 gauges, we have tried pushing them right in and leaving them a bit lose but nothing. The needles are moving if you do it yourself so they are not stuck and move freely with no resistance, it worked fine before I took them out, do you think a complete new cluster would solve it ? thanks
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

RU sure the cluster pluged back into it's wire harnesseseseses properly
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

You might find u have snapped off part of the needles inside. I've done this before and I had to get a new cluster. Compare length of tacho metal end to Speedo metal end should be the same
jackt33

Post by jackt33 »

Ok I will have a look at that. I would say I have connected it all properly
as the 2 centre gauges work fine and the whole cluster lights up, I have fitted and taken it out a few times now but apart from pushing it into the 2 plugs on the back thats all I can do to tell if its connected. Do you think taking the needles out has killed the cluster ?
dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

I was pretty sure if you removed the needles, that screwed it. I always slipped the dialfaces over the needles without removing them.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    silverGPX
    9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

dstocks wrote:I was pretty sure if you removed the needles, that screwed it. I always slipped the dialfaces over the needles without removing them.
    You can remove the needles and put them back in, but if you push even the slightest too hard it snaps 3-4 mm off the ends and wont spin.

I have a few needles here, you can maybe try, are you in bris?
    jackt33

Post by jackt33 »

I'm not but thanks very much for your help. So just to get this straight when I get home, if I take out the speedo and rev counter needles they should both be the same size ?
    silverGPX
    9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

jackt33 wrote:I'm not but thanks very much for your help. So just to get this straight when I get home, if I take out the speedo and rev counter needles they should both be the same size ?
    Yep :)

Also the part that im talking about is a staggered section, it goes down to a thinner piece at the end. (The part that snaps)
    jackt33

Post by jackt33 »

thanks for all your help. I was wondering have you ever heard of the needles having to be tensioned ? I have had someone tell me that its possible when i put the needles back on and the needle has been set at a large minus number and thats why its not moving, has anyone heard of this ? thanks