Newbie wanting to introduce my GPX :)

New to FTO's? Or Just new to this forum? Come introduce yourself, we dont bite.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FTO-Love-Affair
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Newbie wanting to introduce my GPX :)

Post by FTO-Love-Affair »

Hey! Thought I'd introduce myself and my FTO.

I'm in Dubbo, NSW and at the start of this year bought a 1994 Mitsubishi FTO GPX. The car is lowered with aftermarket chrome rims, low profile tyres, aftermarket exhaust, stainless steel head for the gearstick, aftermarket steering wheel and with all the gauges inside modified as well. I paid $5,000 for it and have spent more on it since.

I've replaced the head, one tyre, plugs, leads, rear brake pads, re-gassed the air con, installed a subwoofer and over the next few months will fix the manual transmission, respray the front bumper, a small patch on the right hand side of the front bumper, repair and respray a minor dent of some 10cm on the left rear panel, and tint the side and back windows red.

Despite the money I've spent on it (I'm 17, in school, working part time and have had no financial help from my parents with the car) I will continue to spend money on it and love it more every day.

A friend of mine loved the look of it so much that she went and bought a white facelift GPX, so now there is the the ever rare two FTO's parked next to each other in the school car park in a regional city. I love that.

Thought I'd attach a couple of pics for you :)
Attachments
FTO1.jpg
FTO1.jpg (10.09 KiB) Viewed 436 times
FTO2.jpg
FTO3.jpg
FTO4.jpg
FTO5.jpg
FTO6.jpg
FTO7.jpg
FTO8.jpg
FTO9.jpg
FTO10.jpg
dstocks
National Vice President

Re: Newbie wanting to introduce my GPX :)

Post by dstocks »

Welcome to the club. Looks clean
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    ZFL45H1
    Oldtimer

Post by ZFL45H1 »

Nice ride im a fan of the guages the way its set out what r u future plans for her
    And WTTC
    gotta get there one day :)
    vanadinite
    Veteran Mechanic

Post by vanadinite »

WTTC
    Technikhaus
    Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

Very nice! WTTC!
    Man '96 FTO GPX
    Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
    Man '90 MR2 GT
    Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
    PHIL069
    Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

G'Day FTO-Love-Affair and WTTC :D
    Awesome FTO you have got, it's great that you are doing all this with your own cash earned while still at school.

You need to get and post a pic of both Dubbo FTO's together.
    mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
    Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
    c3rbera
    Mechanic

Post by c3rbera »

You're like me!! Poor uni student but all my money goes in to mine too...all it does is make me happy haha. That looks so tidy, and I like the dials.. wttc. :D
    silverGPX wrote:Nice supra
    Manual '95 GPX
    FTO-Love-Affair
    Apprentice

There are actually three FTO's in Dubbo (We're a lucky little city). The third is also black, but unlike both shown in the pic here, it is completely stock.

My plans at this point:
    1. Fix the gear box. It is at the point where it will not enter 4th, so I'm booking it in to get that done within the next couple of weeks.
    2. Re-spray the front bumper, white patch and fix the small dent near the back. Hoping to get that one done in October some time.
    3. Tint the side and back windows RED. I want this baby truly unique. Hopefully can try nd get this done in November.
    4. Put on the steel FTO pedals on.
    5. Red neon underneath and inside.
    6. Put an air filter that will give me more power.

After that I'm considering the possibility of a bigger and louder muffler, which makes my friends gawk at me because they can already hear me from blocks away at times. I'm also considering red and black leather seats with the FTO logo.

Sound good? :D
    Attachments
    Sexy comes in double.jpg
    Daniel2019
    Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

FTO-Love-Affair wrote:3. Tint the side and back windows RED. I want this baby truly unique. Hopefully can try nd get this done in November.
    5. Red neon underneath and inside.
    6. Put an air filter that will give me more power.

Sound good? :D
    No, sorry :lol:

But each to their own. Welcome to the club.

Simply changing the air filter won't give you much power, the only thing that you will notice is the induction noise (especially at 4,500rpm and above) A high flow K&N filter or a decent filter like a HKS Mushroom or Apexi pod or something will give negligible gains (lol gains) for more benefit, change the intake pipe as well if you can get your hands on one - a UAS if you can (but good luck) or an ARC box or even a custom intake. The standard pipe is fairly restrictive. For best results give it an intake with a good filter, pipe and a cold air intake (some may say it doesn't do anything but its easy so you may as well and keeping everything as cool as possible is always a positive) then a full exhaust system (including headers) and then give it a tune with a piggyback or standalone ECU. If you don't care about how much $ you spend on it, that is.. :lol:
    I fix cars.
    Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
    bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
    FTO-Love-Affair
    Apprentice

Well, being a red P plater, those negligible gains unfortunately take me pretty much to the limit of what I'm allowed. It has been reported that early next year the current NSW system will be overhauled to a power-ratio system, and mine isn't far of that as it is stock, but If I can get the air filter I'll be close enough to the limit without spending heaps of cash and fiddling around meticulously.

Once I'm off my P's, if I don't have another FTO by then, I'll turbo charge it. Twin Turbo if I can. Better start saving... :lol:
    Daniel2019
    Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

FTO-Love-Affair wrote:Well, being a red P plater, those negligible gains unfortunately take me pretty much to the limit of what I'm allowed. It has been reported that early next year the current NSW system will be overhauled to a power-ratio system, and mine isn't far of that as it is stock, but If I can get the air filter I'll be close enough to the limit without spending heaps of cash and fiddling around meticulously.

Once I'm off my P's, if I don't have another FTO by then, I'll turbo charge it. Twin Turbo if I can. Better start saving... :lol:
    I'm on my greens. It's going to a power to weight ratio for boosted cars as far as I know, and even then cops can only go off factory figures. There is no way to determine how much power your car is doing unless you dyno it, which they can't do.

If you're going to boost it, either slap a 6A13tt from a VR4 Galant/Legnum in it, or chuck in a non Mivec engine from an FTO and boost it. The Mivec's are notoriously infamous for not really liking forced induction. I'm sure there's ways around it and it has been done before but it's much more simple to just put the 6A13tt in there (nek minnut)

In the words of Bennoz - "it will have you torque steering directly to the nearest pole"

For intake comparisons and info, clicky here http://www.completefto.com.au/CompleteFTO.asp?aid=522

Edit: and go to bed... you have school soon :troll:
    I fix cars.
    FTO-Love-Affair
    Apprentice

The reports I've read state the power to weight ratio will be enforced to every vehicle regardless of make and model. Also, every time I'm pulled up by the police, they always insist on checking under the bonnet and ask if I've modified it at all. The car is very well known to police as I bought it from drug dealers and to be honest am not the most sensible driver in the world...

A stock Mivec FTO will be about 9kw off the proposed limit, so if I throw a good air filter on and close that gap a bit I'll be happy for now, considering the heightened risk with my, er, well known, car.

Also, it smashes most Falcons, Commodores, and anything else that isn't turbocharged or a V8, so I'm happy with it for now :)

School? Oh yeah... Forgot about that.
    Daniel2019
    Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

FTO-Love-Affair wrote:The reports I've read state the power to weight ratio will be enforced to every vehicle regardless of make and model. Also, every time I'm pulled up by the police, they always insist on checking under the bonnet and ask if I've modified it at all. The car is very well known to police as I bought it from drug dealers and to be honest am not the most sensible driver in the world...

A stock Mivec FTO will be about 9kw off the proposed limit, so if I throw a good air filter on and close that gap a bit I'll be happy for now, considering the heightened risk with my, er, well known, car.

Also, it smashes most Falcons, Commodores, and anything else that isn't turbocharged or a V8, so I'm happy with it for now :)

School? Oh yeah... Forgot about that.
    Yeah, so modify it legally :lol:

Put an aftermarket intake on it and box up the pod filter, make sure the zorst is within legal limits. You could get an extra 15-20kw out of it if you really really wanted to and you wouldn't be able to tell unless you knew exactly what you were looking at, and most people dont know much about FTOs. A cop can't have any way of knowing how much extra power your car has unless you hand him a dyno sheet. Also, those power to weight figures are factory figures at the flywheel, not at the front wheels.
    I fix cars.
    c3rbera
    Mechanic

Post by c3rbera »

FTO-Love-Affair wrote:Once I'm off my P's, if I don't have another FTO by then, I'll turbo charge it. Twin Turbo if I can. Better start saving... :lol:
    It's a good thought I know...just remember you can't just stick a turbo on and expect the rest of it to handle the power of it, let alone stop it... Moar money. Upgraded internals..brakes...gearbox rebuilds (lol), tuning and more. Sometimes it's a better option to save for a different car entirely. You should check out some build threads though, some pretty epic stories right there.

Take your time though! Maintenance is number 1, and anything can happen.

Can someone stick an intake thread or 50 on here :?: Oh man..have fun with that. :lol:
    Manual '95 GPX
    Daniel2019
    Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

c3rbera wrote:Can someone stick an intake thread or 50 on here :?: Oh man..have fun with that. :lol:
    Just ask Taz, he knows all about them :troll:
    I fix cars.
    c3rbera
    Mechanic

Post by c3rbera »

Daniel2019 wrote:
    c3rbera wrote:Can someone stick an intake thread or 50 on here :?: Oh man..have fun with that. :lol:
    Just ask Taz, he knows all about them :troll:
    Oh god...yeah lets not go there
    Manual '95 GPX
    kiz
    SA Coordinator

Post by kiz »

c3rbera wrote:your time though! Maintenance is number 1, and anything can happen.
    See that line keeps floating around SA all the time directed at certain member/s :(D):

I'm not going to name a name/s but you guys know who you are :?

But anyways WTTC
    There are two types of people on forums; those that give helpful advice, and the others

1998 Mitsubishi FTO GPVR AERO ;)
    Vectose
    Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

WTTC mate.

That white FTO used to be owned by a member on here (marshy) and he did not treat it very well. He traded it to Alex (Alexplicit) and he then had a few problems trying to fix it. He then sold it to his sister or something in Dubbo.
    Bennoz wrote:
    Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
    A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
    FTOwnage
    Mechanic

Post by FTOwnage »

Vectose wrote:a few problems
    Lol.
    FTO GPvR 6A13 Single Turbo (Almost finished....)
    Vectose
    Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

:lol: A LOT of problems
    Bennoz wrote:
    Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
    A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)