Opinions

Anything off topic that you want to share with the group. (warning this board may include coarse language)

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

adzski
Veteran Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Opinions

Post by adzski »

Hey everyone.

Well I'm getting sick of driving a 4wd as a daily, only really have it to tow the trailer and my dirtbike/friends bikes for weekend fun.

The thing guzzles like no tomorrow, want something more economical.

I'm considering a ford falcon AU Ute on either dedicated gas or dual fuel.

Only really was looking at spending 5k, anyone got any suggestions for a ute?
adzski
Veteran Mechanic

Re: Opinions

Post by adzski »

currently negotiating for this, but seller takes so long to reply!!!

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/new-gisb ... 1026987320
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

I think u will find AU's will guzzle as well..
I just had to add it ......
sublime19 wrote:Lol clearly you don't know me well enough, it was a joke :roll:
I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
Astron_Boy wrote:Hold me Sooty, I need man comfort.
:utbnb:
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Pretty much every ute will guzzle fuel unless you get a 4 banger.
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
adzski
Veteran Mechanic

Post by adzski »

yeh but will be on gas, so will be cheaper, could get a nissan navara there 4 cyl.
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

proton jumbuck!
kiz
SA Coordinator

Post by kiz »

silverGPX wrote:proton jumbuck!
I was thinking the same thing haha
There are two types of people on forums; those that give helpful advice, and the others

1998 Mitsubishi FTO GPVR AERO ;)
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

Then Evo convert it...
I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
adzski
Veteran Mechanic

Post by adzski »

rock_it wrote:
Then Evo convert it...
skids!!
fraz91
Hair-do

Post by fraz91 »

Finally, A topic I can help in! :lol:

What kind of 4by have you got? and is it a petrol, diesel or turbo-diesel? The main reason I ask is that most 4by's can be made fairly economical depending on the engine set-up and tune-ability of the motor. Take my triton, it's a 2.5L 4pot T-Diesel that weighs 2 tonne, and will consistently return around 9-10L/100km. The Jeep on the other hand is a 4.0L I6 auto that weighs 1.5 tonne, and I can't get any better than 13.5L/100km (and thats driving it sedately!)

I know there are SC kits from the US for the jeep that help improve the economy, but I'm not prepared to spend $4k getting it set-up just to save 1L/100km.

If you're set on a falcon ute, see if you can get one of the RTV models (AU3-BF) as these have raised factory suspension and, with an auto locker in the back, will go pretty damn far. ;)

edit- if you're also set on a ute, get an extra cab rather than a dual cab. The extra's have enough room in the back that a couple of mates can squeeze in, but also have a larger tray to fit bikes and the like into.
Last edited by fraz91 on Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'll have an FTO one day... i swear!

until then:
1. 2001 Merc-Benz A160 (porta-loo on wheels)
2. 2007 Peugeot 307 TDi (more fun than you'd expect)
3. [url=ttp://ftoaustralia.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=25373]2009 Mitsubishi Triton Di-D (a monster in its own right)[/url]
4. 1992 Nissan NX Coupe (club car and project car)
5. 1996 Holden SB Barina - "The Nugget"
6. 1996 Jeep XJ Cherokee Sport - The Budget Build
7. 2010 Toyota Landcruiser 76 Series - V8 Goodness... - Build coming soon.
8. 1990 Audi 90 manual - The delightfully dignified daily driver
Astron_Boy wrote:No correction needed Gen Y, you are correct.
Bennoz wrote:My rubbing happens on the inside.
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Proton Jumbuck!
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

silverGPX wrote:Proton Jumbuck!
Then Evo convert it..... :lol:
fraz91
Hair-do

Post by fraz91 »

They have got to be the WORST utes on the road. :facepalm:

As soon as you put any weight in the tray, it takes the load off the front wheels and you lose all your steering...

until then:
3. [url=ttp://ftoaustralia.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=25373]2009 Mitsubishi Triton Di-D (a monster in its own right)[/url]
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

fraz91 wrote:

As soon as you put any weight in the tray, it takes the load off the front wheels and you lose all your steering...
I doubt it LOL

Maybe like if you filled the tray with concrete blocks, he said motorbikes, you'd fit like two maybe. 300kg. Its quite a suitable alternative. For a light Ute that's good on fuel its gotta be a good choice.
adzski
Veteran Mechanic

Post by adzski »

fraz91 wrote:Finally, A topic I can help in! :lol:

What kind of 4by have you got? and is it a petrol, diesel or turbo-diesel? The main reason I ask is that most 4by's can be made fairly economical depending on the engine set-up and tune-ability of the motor. Take my triton, it's a 2.5L 4pot T-Diesel that weighs 2 tonne, and will consistently return around 9-10L/100km. The Jeep on the other hand is a 4.0L I6 auto that weighs 1.5 tonne, and I can't get any better than 13.5L/100km (and thats driving it sedately!)

I know there are SC kits from the US for the jeep that help improve the economy, but I'm not prepared to spend $4k getting it set-up just to save 1L/100km.

If you're set on a falcon ute, see if you can get one of the RTV models (AU3-BF) as these have raised factory suspension and, with an auto locker in the back, will go pretty damn far. ;)

edit- if you're also set on a ute, get an extra cab rather than a dual cab. The extra's have enough room in the back that a couple of mates can squeeze in, but also have a larger tray to fit bikes and the like into.
its a holden monterey/jackaroo, perhaps something maybe wrong with it but its pretty sh*t on fuel.
as for the ute, not fused to much on what i end up with, going to have a look at a couple xr6's next week, see if i can find a good one on dual fuel.
i thought about the dual cab or extra cab, would be good if i could get one, ill keep a eye out.

main reason im considering a au is,they seen reliable i guess that's why taxi company's use them, easy to work on and i want to have easy available and cheap parts, the AU's were mass-produced like it was going out of style so seems to be very cheap to maintain.
adzski
Veteran Mechanic

Post by adzski »

silverGPX wrote:
fraz91 wrote:

I doubt it LOL

Maybe like if you filled the tray with concrete blocks, he said motorbikes, you'd fit like two maybe. 300kg. Its quite a suitable alternative. For a light Ute that's good on fuel its gotta be a good choice.
had a look at the proton jumbuck, looks nice, but abit out the range i wanted to spend.
also not sure whether they would be a bit hard to get parts for and if the parts would be pricey?

as to the weight of the bikes, wouldnt be any were near 300kg man, bike is usually around 80-90kg well for 2 strokes 4 stroke may tip the scale at 100 but i doubt it.

for 2 bikes id say 180kg max, not much weight to pull for a car, if the passengers are off the larger size the combined weights would be more than the bikes!! hahaha
fraz91
Hair-do

Post by fraz91 »

If getting one on dual fuel, make sure the LPG has been serviced regularly. Ask for receipts and everything. Also, the port injection lpg systems are more economical than the evap style (single injection in intake pipe).

The jumbucks are good on fuel, but the leaf springs in the rear are designed for comfort, not load. Hence the dramas when they're loaded, even if its just a couple of bikes.

Have a look around for MK tritons and ford couriers, you could probably find a decent dual cab 2wd V6 for around the same price as the AU, and the 6g72 in the MK is extremely reliable. Parts arent hard to find for it either ;)

until then:
adzski
Veteran Mechanic

Post by adzski »

fraz91 wrote:If getting one on dual fuel, make sure the LPG has been serviced regularly. Ask for receipts and everything. Also, the port injection lpg systems are more economical than the evap style (single injection in intake pipe).

The jumbucks are good on fuel, but the leaf springs in the rear are designed for comfort, not load. Hence the dramas when they're loaded, even if its just a couple of bikes.

Have a look around for MK tritons and ford couriers, you could probably find a decent dual cab 2wd V6 for around the same price as the AU, and the 6g72 in the MK is extremely reliable. Parts arent hard to find for it either ;)

funny you mention those cars fraz, two of our company cars are a triton and a courier.
my father has the triton, and is extremely reliable and spacious, i find it really slow, you find the same thing?

as for the courier, thats a option to, ill see what i can find around :)
fraz91
Hair-do

Post by fraz91 »

Which triton is it? The 2.8 non turbo diesel is a slug, as is the 2.4 petrol. But the 2.8 turbo diesel and 3.0 V6 are alright.

until then: