I have an issue lol

Anything off topic that you want to share with the group. (warning this board may include coarse language)

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

destinationtoby
Broke it
jedwabna poszewka promocja

I have an issue lol

Post by destinationtoby »

Received this letter today.
Somewhat confused what to do.

He story behind it is. I was traveling the speed limit (130kmh) at night after heading out of Katherine NT. When a car behind me caught up rather quick and had their high beams on. I slowed down to let them go past quicker because it annoying the sh*t out of me. But they continued to follow for another few minutes, by follow I mean tailgate the sh*t outta me. So I ended up planting it to get away from this dickhead back up to the speed limit and maybe abit over. Made distance real quick being in a WRX, and thats when the paddy wagon behind, decided to put his lights and sirens on.
So I pulled over, had the car and bags searched by this cop on a power trip, telling me how often he catches these "tourists" bringing recreational drugs across the border. He wasn't happy when he Didn't find anything after half an hour. So he let know that il be receiving a letter for doing 150k in a 130 zone. Straight away I thought there's no way I was going that quick, and secondly the only way he could tel was from the speed he was doing in his ratty paddy wagon. So I questioned video footage or speed camera evidence and he explained that he followed me for long enough to monitor his own speed level with mine... So he watched his speedo :roll:

So here's the letter. Offence - exceed the speed limit 16-30km/h over the limit.. Wtf lol I've got not problems paying the $200 or watever .
But there's no mention of demerit points? If i pay it then im admitting to it. Will i be bound by the NSW demerit point scheme or the NT one.
Other issues that may arise aswell, he wasn't able to check my license , therefor didn't no I was on P's.....

So has anyone else had interstate fines and know the process?
What should I do..
To make things clear as why it's a issue, basically if I'm fined for doing 30+ km/h by the NSW RMS, it's a fuckin court case and no license for a really long time..... Where as NT it's just a $250 fine + victims levy... Who the f**k are the victims :?: :lol:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (159.71 KiB) Viewed 328 times
Because nothing is faster than a p plater in a commodore.....
except maybe a p plater on a unicorn
FTOcrazy273 wrote: Destinationtoby probably has one of THE best FTO's on the forum I never get tired of looking at his pics! Good work mate!
bjk
Totes

Re: I have an issue lol

Post by bjk »

Well, I don't have any useful information for you, but that's a pretty sh*t stitch up! Shame it's your word against his when you're in the right this time.
POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

No demerit points, but you'll have to pay the fine.

Guess how they used to book you for speeding in the old days before radar & laser guns? They'd follow you & match your speed.
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Really?
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

What is meant to happen, is that you pay the fine in the NT. The NT version of the RTA is then meant to contact NSW and tell them of the offence. So 16-30k over limit.

The part that is the shade of grey is as follows:

The NSW RTA is then meant to deduct the points off your licence that is specified on the NT demerit scheme.

I have also been advised that they can take the demerit points off for what the penalty is in NSW.

I got done in QLD for 45k and over, and was meant to loose 6 points off my NSW licence, and be banned from driving in QLD for 6 months. However, QLD Roads never notified the RTA, so all I had to do was pay QLD $700 ...

You can dispute cops judging speed based on their assumption. His car needs to have a sticker on it as when the speedo was last calibrated (bright orange sticker)... He has to then confirm he followed you for 400m and was able to approximate your speed.

You will need to go back to NT to do this...
I just had to add it ......
sublime19 wrote:Lol clearly you don't know me well enough, it was a joke :roll:
I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
Astron_Boy wrote:Hold me Sooty, I need man comfort.
:utbnb:
destinationtoby
Broke it

Well that's abit of a mess :/

So they will summon me to court in NT if I dispute it? And they won't contact NSW until after I've paid the fine.

Still confusing as what to do..

Either pay the fine and hope that the end of it ( with the possibility of them contacting nsw and I'm screwed)

Or go back and dispute it, hoping that a judge see how dodgy and inaccurate this guys statement would be.

I'm guessing they would be used to people just paying the fine, hence why he handed out the ridiculouse ticket so easily, after not mentioning speeding to me once in the half an hour he had me pulled over.
FTOcrazy273 wrote: Destinationtoby probably has one of THE best FTO's on the forum I never get tired of looking at his pics! Good work mate!
vanadinite
Veteran Mechanic

Post by vanadinite »

That's quite a dilemma there. My guess would be just pay the fine hope for the best with the rta. From personal experience the court will typically side with the cop we unfortunately.

Weren't you suspended from driving at the time too? Cause if you were that sucks hardcore
destinationtoby
Broke it

Received this letter today.. This, gives me hope that they don't intend on forwarding any info on to NSW. Touchwood.
Attachments
image.jpg
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

Hopefully that's all it is :)
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Good stuff, we should organise a FTO cruise to NT and go hard :lol:
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol: