funky smell from air vents

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

lal
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

funky smell from air vents

Post by lal »

has anyone experienced smelling something stinky/weird coming from the air vents. Obviously, this only happens when you have the settings to let the air in from the outside (climate control pic shows arrow from outside into the car).

Could this be from not using the a/c for a while (since it's winter)?

the smell is like the smell of coolant (if you know the smell). I've had a look at the engine and there's no leakage...
weird 8O anyone experienced this before?

thanks for any help.
<FONT color=#ff00ff size=2><FONT face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif" color=#ff00ff size=2><FONT size=2><FONT size=2>
<P>&nbsp;</P></FONT></FONT></FONT></FONT>
RallyMad
Oldtimer

Post by RallyMad »

I would think that maybe your aircon may have some problems after not being used over the winter, maybe get it checked. Or it could be that you ran over something and the smell is stuck in your engine bay near the vents or something, maybe a really good wash including under the car may help. Any maybe even an engine degrease!!! Amybe I don't know about that, maybe going a bit overboard! :D 8O :wink:
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

There's a couple of threads which cover this topic and include different advice on how to fix it.
MIVEC is My Friend :D
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Its bacteria build up in the system, easy fix.
lal
Grease Monkey

Post by lal »

i gave a mechanic friend of mine a call, and after describing the smell etc. and some questions from his end, he has diagnosed it as a problem with the heater core.

after looking on the net for further explanation he looks like he's ablsolutely correct.

has anyone fixed or had problems with their heater core before?
if so, where did you go to get it fixed and how much? thanks.

any comments about heater cores, suggestions, is welcome too :)
<FONT color=#ff00ff size=2><FONT face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif" color=#ff00ff size=2><FONT size=2><FONT size=2>
YLD-FTO
Apprentice

Post by YLD-FTO »

payaya wrote:Its bacteria build up in the system, easy fix.
i had the same prob, its as payaya said bacteria in the air con , u can buy a spray/aerosol which eliminates bacteria and therfore smell :)
Hyper
Apprentice

Post by Hyper »

I have this problem when i dont use my aircon for a while too. I find that after a short drive wirth the aircon running the smell disappears and doesnt return unless i go through another period without using it.
With that said, apparently the aircons are self lubricating and when you dont use them for extended periods everything dries out (according to some documentation i read), and i guess the first time you use it it takes a while for it to lubricate the parts and thats what causes the coolant like smell. If the smell persists after a short time then i would say it could be the bacteria problem as mentioned above, but if the smell clears after a small amount of use then i wouldnt worry too much about it.
BTW, according to the manufacturer the aircons should be run at least once a week, even in winter, to keep the parts wet and to stop any permanent damage being done to the unit.
lal
Grease Monkey

Post by lal »

yeah... looks like the problem could be that there's bacteria build up in the air con..
after a close inspections, it doesn't look like a heater core problem (thank goodnes as to fix it, the whole dash has to be removed), for your info., if it was the heater core, the passenger side near the firewall should be wet from the leaking coolant.. and ofcourse the car's temp would increase...

now my Q, where can I buy this antibacterial spray in Sydney? Super Cheap Auto don't have it....

any help appreciated.. thanks.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

If you can't find anything you can always make up a basic solution using bleach from your laundry.
MIVEC is My Friend :D
lal
Grease Monkey

Post by lal »

ruchi wrote:If you can't find anything you can always make up a basic solution using bleach from your laundry.
hhmmm... I don't know much about mixing solutions, so can you please give me instructions on how to create a solution to resolve this problem.

Also, once mixed, where do I pour? spray? this solution?

I also had my A/C on while driving for 30mins.... the smell seems to disappear while its on, but then it returns again, also, a thin smoke comes out of the vents (like when it's so cold and some smoke comes out of your mouth). :)